PDA

View Full Version : Type of questions asked when taking oral exam when gaining type rating

Jaxs
12th Oct 2011, 20:38
Hi,
Was wondering if any one could give me an insight on what questions are asked, when taking an oral exam with the local surveyor to gain type ratings on light aircraft which don't have a type 147 course?

Cheers

NutLoose
15th Oct 2011, 17:34
Mine was many many moons ago....... under the CAA system

Do not know if they will count......

I was asked on the seneca to describe the electrical system, made a pigs ear of it but as he was nodding I knew he didn't know it, so carried on and passed it...

Other was asked if there was a air con system, told him the locations etc. but pointed out I had never seen it before.

When I did my basics Eng and AF I also did the 0-235 eng and the Cessna 152 so all questions he asked had to really be angled towards them, was asked how I would inspect a strut for internal corrosion, said I would look down it, he thought they were sealed so I said well you obviously want the NDT i would use if it was, so told him, asked about how I would test a nav light system and also about fretting corrosion on flat sping gear, but pointed out I had no experience as all of ours were round tube, but told hium what one would do.

If you do not know tell them, but follow it up with you have not experienced it in working on it etc.... do not make it up, because if they know you are digging a hole they will assist you with more on the subject.
The Seneca one I was lucky.