PDA

View Full Version : Stansted/Gerona

grassy
12th Oct 2011, 12:21
Ryanair stopped flying this route for the winter. Odd, as i have never been on a flight less than 95% full.

Is this just politics with the Catalan government or is he loosing money ?

MUFC_fan
12th Oct 2011, 17:50
This used to be one of Ryanair's biggest routes with 4-5 flights per day from Stansted. How it has changed...

Maybe they're launching to BCN? I know they were reducing operations at GRO, it used to serve pretty much every destination in the UK during the summer months and most during the winter!

Fantastic facility which I have used many times (the good old days of 1p flights!) - the good old days of LCC travel...:)

Jamie2k9
12th Oct 2011, 21:03
Route moving to BCN from early Dec.

grassy
13th Oct 2011, 05:48
But only from Birmingham. This just seems the most bizarre route closure.

Groundloop
13th Oct 2011, 07:26
Ryanair stopped flying this route for the winter. Odd, as i have never been on a flight less than 95% full.

Was this in the middle of January?

grassy
13th Oct 2011, 07:39
I think I've travelled on every month of the year , cant say if it was the middle of a month, but its always been busy.

Groundloop
13th Oct 2011, 09:33
Rayanair always suspend routes (even complete bases) over the winter. This is because they do not have enough pilots. They work a lot of their pilots to the maximum 100 hours a month for 9 months of the year and thus reach the 900 hours a year maximum. Then these pilots cannot fly for 3 months!

Therefore the routes with the lowest profits are dropped for three months.

davidjohnson6
13th Oct 2011, 10:37
Groundloop - is it really a case of not having enough pilots, or is it instead a case that the pilots are worked much harder when there's high demand from passengers and good profits to be had, and not worked at all when a route would operate at a loss ?

ssflyer
13th Oct 2011, 12:22
The BHX/GRO flights are down from 3xweekly to 2xweekly up to December 31st and, I believe are BHX based aircraft.

grassy
13th Oct 2011, 12:31
Why Birmingham, Stansted is much more central ?

Groundloop
13th Oct 2011, 12:37
Why Birmingham, Stansted is much more central ?

Central to what? Look at a map, Birmingham is much nearer the centre of England than Stansted. But that's probably not the "centre" you are thinking of.

grassy
13th Oct 2011, 15:16
No useful links and miles from any real population.

tephlon-don
13th Oct 2011, 16:36
he has no crews to operate it!

ssflyer
13th Oct 2011, 16:57
grassy
Sorry old bean but BHX is the center of the UK motorway network, has an onsite rail link (Euston 80 mins) and its population catchment area (50 miles radius) is larger than any other non London airport other than Ringway.
And you never stack.

Ian Brooks
13th Oct 2011, 17:30
You know I didn`t reply to that because I thought he can`t mean what he has
just said, but hey ho!
Birmingham is actually the centre of rail operations in the UK with wonderful connections all over

Ian B