PDA

View Full Version : How far can I go with a class 2 med?

jabbadfatt
5th Nov 2001, 07:50
I've found out that I do not qualify for the current JAA Class 1 medical, due to my eye sight. However, after reading the medical section of the CAA website, the requirements will be relaxed within the next 18 months (and I just happen to fall into this new standard). So my question is can I complete the IR flying & ATPL theory on a class 2 medical and when the changes come into effect I can go and obtain a class 1 (i'm assuming that the MCC training requires a class 1)?

Cheers
Jabba

JP5A
5th Nov 2001, 18:09
Hi Jabbaddfat

What will the relaxation be?
Does it include a relaxation in colour recognition??

Di - Hedral
6th Nov 2001, 06:34
JP5A The relaxation of JAR-FCL medical requirements are under review to bring the JAR-FCL eyesight requirements more into line with the new ICAO medical standards.
The opthalmological proposals for Class 1 medicals are as follows:
extended tests will be required under the age of 40 for those needing glasses, after which every two years for all.
the initial test dioptre limit to be increased from +/- 3dpt to +/- 5dpt.
on revalidation the dioptre limit to be increased from +3/-5 dpt to +5/-8 dpt.
astigmatism (on revalidation only)increase from not exceeding 2dpt to not exceeding 3dpt.
eye surgery (glaucoma, cataract) now allowed - requiring a fit assessment by AMS after 3-6 months following surgery
colour blindness, original requirement to read all 24 plates of the ishihara test correctly, now read the first 15 plates correctly.
:cool: :cool:

With regards to the
initial subject of how far you can go with a Class 2 medical, this is quite a good point. I understand that you can certainly instruct and that if you wish to make this your profession, you must hold a licence equivalent of that which you wish to teach. In other words, do not accept being 'fobbed off' with being told that you only need to do the minimum, only to find out later that you cannot further your career because you do not have the necessary qualifications! This does not mean that you will be issued with an ATPL, but it will be on record that you have qualified. You will, however,be issued with a CPL which is valid as a frozen ATPL, which can be unfrozen on reaching the required amount of hours and the issue of a Class 1 medical. Be warned though, that your exams may time expire.
:eek:
Be sure to check the facts with the CAA before following this route, because rules bend and change all of the time :confused:

Hope this has helped, GOOD LUCK :)

Stan Evil
6th Nov 2001, 21:32
There's nothing to stop you doing the ATPL theory course and exams and then doing the IR so that it hangs on your PPL (the ATPL theroetical exams will, I think, count as the IR theory exams for which no one currently runs a course).

However, to hold a Commercial licence and, therefore, to earn money as a pilot, you need a Class 1 medical. If there is any chance you won't be able to achieve a Class 1 then think long and hard about how much you will be spending with, potentially, no reward.

Caveat emptor!

JP5A
6th Nov 2001, 21:39
Di
Thanks for the info on the medical.
With a class 2 and the ATPL exams and the instructor course it is my understanding that you can instruct but not paid.A class one is needed to add to the above qualifications to be awarded the ATPL and then receive renumeration.
One other idea/point.I have a current multi IR.If I take the ATPL exams is it factual that the results do not expire as long as the IR remains current??

jabbadfatt
9th Nov 2001, 11:05
Di & Stan,

Thanks for the info. I've got a Class 1 & CPL here in Oz & i'm instructing. I was hoping in a year to 18 months to make a move back to the UK coz job opportunities seem a lot better there (well until recently anyway) airline wise. I hope things pick up for everyones sake.

JP5A am I correct in understanding that one can obtain a multi IR with just a PPL?

Thanks again ;)

foghorn
9th Nov 2001, 14:42
You can add a multi-IR to a PPL or a CPL, however you must have a minimum of 150 hrs P1 to add it to PPL.

foggy.

jabbadfatt
10th Nov 2001, 13:22
Foggy,

Whats P1? Sorry i'm not familiar with the UK terms :o

I've got about 270hrs as 'pilot in command' over here, does that equate to the P1 requirement?

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: jabbadfatt ]

foghorn
10th Nov 2001, 15:41
Affirm P1 = Pilot in Command

rwayre
26th Nov 2001, 21:02
There's another option which you might consider. Ever heard of The Bates Method?

I'm right at the beginning of researching and committing to £30K of costs to get my CPL(H). First barrier I hit was my eyesight which falls outside of both the existing and proposed initial limits (but within the limits set for renewal). Clearly I don't want to spend that kind of money if this is an impossible dream. But someone's put me on to this Bates Method.

The theory is that eyeseight can be improved. Don't know if it works, but it's worth a try. I'd certainly like to hear to success stories from would be flyers though.

Anyway - there's a website at www.seeing.org (http://www.seeing.org) and they can put you in touch with practioners. I saw one at the weekend.

Good luck, however you progress.

rahaney
26th Nov 2001, 21:24
hi all. I have one eye with a -3 and astigmatism of 1 does that put me over the CAA class 1 now? what about after this 'relaxing'. any info would be much appreciated

cheers :D