PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow helicopter ops: merged threads

HeliAl
4th Aug 2011, 15:49
Well boys and girls, I have it on good authority that there has been talk of closing the Heli lane that routes through the overhead at Heathrow (H9).

There have been issues with poor ATC (Pilot) and inability to fly the route accurately, especially close to the airport.

For those instructors that take students into the heli lanes, better pre briefing could well be required and confirmation of their ability to cope with sudden changes. Maybe a certificate of ability? Just a thought! :ok:

212man
4th Aug 2011, 16:09
a certificate of ability

sounds a bit draconian - can you even say that these days?

helisniper
4th Aug 2011, 19:14
Solution? Simple:

No training crossings of LHR. Simple.

For those who believe otherwise, as an instructor, regardless of the quality of your pre-flight brief (and student!) you should be able to keep an aircraft on the required flight path. If not, you shouldn't be there!!! Are your studes' EOLs totally dependent on the brief?

It's about time some pilots stopped viewing crossing LHR as a jolly that they're entitled to. Perhaps it all comes from bored instructors wanting some variety .......

:ugh:

toptobottom
4th Aug 2011, 22:51
There are no plans to close it (AFAIK), but following several 'mis-identification of key holding points', the plan is to move it some time next year to make it easier to nav.

JimBall
5th Aug 2011, 06:06
Erm - no training is permitted on the heli routes.

(Yes - I realise that is similar to saying that nobody ever breaks a speed limit on the roads)

Heliport
5th Aug 2011, 12:59
Erm - no training is permitted on the heli routes.

Perhaps the training refers to schools requiring PPL holders to fly the heliroutes with an FI before being allowed to do so solo in a school aircraft.

Good practice IMHO.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
10th Oct 2011, 14:07
The other day I asked to cross Heathrow when they were on easterlies and was told that it was no longer possible, so I rang them later to be told that due to a number of incidents they where re-doing the procedures and until they are ready no more crosses on easterlies .

Then yesterday having crossed south bound I was coming back and asked to cross north bound to be told sorry you can't they have new procedures , has anyone else had similar problems ??

JimBall
10th Oct 2011, 14:55
The "easterlies" problem has been around all summer awaiting a rewrite. And you're right - there have been increasing rejections of westerly crossings. Any Swanwick moles out there?

ShyTorque
10th Oct 2011, 18:10
It has been a problem as long as I can remember and the first time I crossed was over thirty years ago.

These days I don't even ask and plan to fly round, even if I'm landing at LHR, because there is nothing passengers hate more than being put into a tight orbit to hold. Especially if they don't travel well.

Have you considered routing via Burnham - Ascot-Thorpe - OCK. Even less likely to result in a hold is WOD- Ascot-Thorpe- OCK, ATC seem to like these routes.

Gonzo
11th Oct 2011, 06:39
Pending revised procedures, currently we have an instruction out that prohibits non-essential helicopter crossing traffic during easterly ops or during TEAM (landing on both runways).

New procedures should be published in December's AIP update.

ChippyChop
1st Nov 2011, 20:26
Hi All, I understand Heathrow are using both runways for take-off and landings simultaneoulsy for a tiral period of 4 months. Does anyone know what the implications will be for Helicopter crossings? Cheers Chippy

Aucky
1st Nov 2011, 23:23
Hi All, I understand Heathrow are using both runways for take-off and landings simultaneoulsy for a tiral period of 4 months. Does anyone know what the implications will be for Helicopter crossings? Cheers Chippy
As Gonzo said, this is called 'TEAM' operations... They are using TEAM over peak periods to deal with the increased traffic flow and as I understand it the separation issues become too tight to allow helicopter crossings when in operation. I phoned the controllers the other day prior to a flight southbound, they kindly said they cannot really predict whether they will be using TEAM at any given time but simply to call nice and early on the radio and they will see what they can do. They were on westerlies and it was no problem to get through that occasion but I may have been lucky. I have always found them very happy to answer questions on the phone if it shows good forethought planning, pm me if you would like a contact no. Cheers