PDA

View Full Version : NPPL equivalent in the USA? Or any ideas?

Sensible
9th Oct 2011, 20:34
I have had a problem recently in getting a Class 2 medical due to an ECG fail to enable me to enjoy the privileges of my UK PPL so, I have gone the route of an NPPL. The next step is to try to get to fly in the USA. I have an FAA Private Pilot Certificate but that is "Issued on the basis of and valid only when accompanied by UK PPL license Noxxxxxxxx/A all limitations and restrictions on the UK Pilot License apply". Therefore, no Class 2 medical means that my UK PPL and my FAA ticket are invalid and my NPPL isn't valid in the USA. The question is: - how can I get to fly in the USA if I can't pass the Class 2 medical? I don't think that I can get through a Class 3 either because of a heart murmur. I have looked at the Light Sport aircraft license but with a limitation of flying on aircraft of Max TOW of 1200lbs, I am really stuck on renting a 2 seater touring aircraft in this class.

Anybody got any ideas around the situation?

Cheers!

Sir George Cayley
9th Oct 2011, 20:50
You've raised an interesting point. I too will have to go the NPPL route once certified sane again but I hadn't thought further than that.

Exporting UK privileges such as the IMCR have been done to death here; hopefully someone sage will be along soon to give the facts about it.

Meanwhile, have you considered a Panamanian mail order CPL? :)

SGC

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2011, 21:06
USUA (http://www.usua.org/)

G

this is my username
10th Oct 2011, 06:31
You could see if you can get an FAA Class 3 medical and then get a standalone FAA PPL.

patowalker
10th Oct 2011, 07:01
A heart murmur in itself does not disqualify you from a Class 3, it depends on
... description of murmurs (location, intensity, timing, and opinion as to significance)
Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item36/et/general/)

Sensible
10th Oct 2011, 07:15
S.G.C. Thanks, I'd be prepared to try anything - once!
S.C.A. & G. From my understanding, a sport pilot license wouldn't allow me to fly a PA28 and it is really difficult to rent aircraft within the sport license category, I don't want to fly alone in the USA so I think that there would be too many restrictions to make this a realistic option.
t.i.m.u. Although I may be able to get a class 3 medical, from my understanding, I will have to pass all of the FAA theory exams as no exemption is available on the basis that I hold a UK PPL and an NPPL
If there is no other option, I may have to explore the FAA license route although the thought of doing all the FAA exams is a somewhat daunting!

Thanks for your advice Duckwalker!

Many thanks for your replies :ok:

patowalker
10th Oct 2011, 09:34
There is only one FAA exam, which covers all the subjects. Once you have learnt your stuff, you can practice for it here Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org/)

You will be credited with all the hours of ICAO compliant instruction, solo and cross-country flights in your logbook. If you don't have a night rating you can do the required 3 hours, 10 take-off and landing and a 100nm x-c at night with an instructor in the UK. No skills test involved.

You might then get away with just 6 hours dual in the US, 3 on flying with reference to instruments and 3 in preparation for the paractical test. See FAR 61.109.

(Yes, where I grew up my real name made the nickname inevitable)

fernytickles
10th Oct 2011, 12:10
Sensible,

Both EAA & AOPA have people who can advise you about the medical situation, and how that relates to getting a PPL or an LSA licence. Both are very good and worth contacting.

EAA's person is Susan Sedlachek - ssedlachek at eaa dot org. Or you can call the main number - 920 426 4800 and ask to speak to her. Oshkosh is 5hrs behind the UK just now, so we are just waking up :ok:

As for renting LSAs, granted its not as easy as renting the usual Cessnas or Pipers, but its not totally impossible. In our area there is a Remos and an Ercoupe within 50 miles of each other. I realise thats not the case all over the country, but don't dismiss the LSAs completely.

Good luck!

Dave Gittins
10th Oct 2011, 12:27
I have a similar problem. a JAR PPL but no Class 2 medical due to a minor cardio issue. However UK CAA are happy to let me use my PPL on the basis of a medical declaration from my GP (per NPPL) as long as I fly to NPPL rules (no complex, no IMC, no night etc.)

As that isn't ICAO compliant it is UK only and my FAA "on the basis of" is no use either.

However, I simply fly with an instructor in the USA when I am on vacation and have just had a highly enjoyable trip flying all round Colorado and in San Diego. It gives me somebody that knows the area and proceedures, which makes my trips far less pressurised, a like minded soul to pass the flight with and as I am not hour building I don't give a toss about having P1 hours (although some of the US hours are still lohgged as P1/S).

It may not work for you, but it does for me.