PDA

View Full Version : Keeping radio phraseology skills sharp without flying regularly

gwizzaviatior
9th Oct 2011, 14:38
Hi guys,

Your inputs and tips are gladly welcomed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping radio telephony skills sharp whilst not flying. Having finished the IR, its been a while since ive been on an airway, done an approach, etc. Reading the CAP 413 is ok, however without actually practicing standard radio phraseology, it soon leaves my mind. I would obviously like to keep these sharp as its something that does make an impression during a sim check etc.

So, does anyone have any suggesions on keeping the RT sharp whilst not applying it?

Thanks
Gwizz

Gleavage
9th Oct 2011, 15:16
Pretend you're talking to ATC while you're driving

BossEyed
9th Oct 2011, 15:58
Also, get an air band receiver and listen to it in the car.

1. Your "dummy" calls can appear to fit into a real environment.

2. You can critique other pilots' calls. Note everyone will be the best RT user, but if you can hear what they're doing wrong/not so well, it'll help you to avoid the same errors when you're flying and transmiting for real.

3. It'll further help attune your ear to VHF reception.

Whopity
9th Oct 2011, 16:05
get an air band receiver and listen to it in the car.Sadly, much of what you will hear is incorrect, and this is what results in the propagation of poor RT.

BossEyed
9th Oct 2011, 16:15
Hence my suggested Point 2.

If you're actively listening out for poor RT, having studied CAP 413 etc so that you know what should be said, then you're learning from others' errors rather than perpetuating them

gwizzaviatior
9th Oct 2011, 16:41
Thanks for these tips so far guys!
I've been listening to liveatc.net which has been useful, however there are no feeds from UK airpspaces. Closest is Shannon which is ok.

I'll give the air band reicever a shot as well.
Cheers
Gwizz

FlyingSportsman
9th Oct 2011, 19:46
Just an idea, but perhaps you could sign up for Vatsim. I'm personally involved at Gatwick, and have actually received a decent amount of training! Tested on CAP413, using VMATS e.t.c. At some points you will get one or two that have slipped through the system, but on the whole, were not too bad! :ok:

FS

StavDav
9th Oct 2011, 21:00
Whilst it is technically against the law to listen to UK ATC (hence liveatc.net do not have any UK streams), there is an E-Petition currently working it's way through the checking process, and due to go live in about a week that addresses the issue, and is asking the UK government to finally drop the law.

Will post a link once I have it (as said, be about a week), if anybody is interested.

SD

Ultra long hauler
9th Oct 2011, 21:10
I have an antenna on my roof and an Icom handheld to listen to ATC in a spare hour, while surfing the net for instance.
Heck, I could even enjoy a drink on my balcony while watching the aircraft I'm listening to.

Helps me a great deal with the phraseology.

No Tax On Rotax

mrmum
10th Oct 2011, 00:36
See this sticky thread from the ATC issues forum
http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

gwizzaviatior
10th Oct 2011, 13:59
Hi guys,

You've all been very help.
Stavdav - if anything comes to fruition from the petition, then please share.

Flyingsportsman - thats the first time ive heard of Vatsim, but will be becoming a member tonight.

Thanks

StavDav
10th Oct 2011, 14:18
Hello,

Try this link Allow the monitoring of ATC radio frequencies by the public - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18896)

Only went live today, so no signatures yet.

Thanks,

SD

jez d
10th Oct 2011, 14:29
In short you can use a scanner to listen to anything broadcast for general reception, radio amateurs, CB, weather and navigation broadcasts. Unless you are a police officer or work in the emergency services you are not allowed to listen to their communications.

You can only listen to other services if you have the permission of the sender. The air show is a good example where the control tower frequencies are publicised and that would be considered permission.

From the other thread referred to above. This is Ofcom's interpretation of the law. Given that ATC frequencies are published, I can't see where the illegality lies.