PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Australian Forces Helicopter - Philippines 1967/ 68

hval
9th Oct 2011, 12:02
I have posted the following on the Military forum. It was suggested that I also post the question here.

Good afternoon all,

I was told an interesting story by my elder sister last night that made me laugh. I was unaware of the story and am interested in additional details.

Back in the 1960's (probably 1967 or 1968) my father, who was stationed in Singapore (British Army), was on a tour of Australia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. The tour was courtesy of the Australian army and probably SEATO. Whilst in the Philippines my father was flown in to somewhere by an Australian military helicopter for a meeting. Upon exiting the meeting it was discovered that the helicopter had been stolen.

Does anyone know of this story and have any additional details? My sister who is not interested in the forces has no further memories. What a shame. I would be interested in learning more prior to my fathers funeral that is on Thursday if possible. If not possible I would still love to know what happened. Isn't it a shame what we learn after our parents death. Wish I knew more.

Hval

chimbu warrior
9th Oct 2011, 12:11
This might be a good place to start No 9 Squadron RAAF Association (http://www.no9squadronassociation.org/)

hval
9th Oct 2011, 14:30
Chimbu,

Thanks for that.

Hval

MTOW
10th Oct 2011, 20:44
Apart from 9 Sqn in SVN, the only RAAF helo in that area at that time was a B model Huey in Butterworth with the SAR flight. It's highly unlikely it would ever have been released from its SAR role to go as far as the Philippines, (which would have been a real stretch for a B model, even with long range tanks).

If there's any truth to the rumour, I'd be guessing that HMAS Melbourne (or some other RAN ship carrying a helo) might have been in the area and the incident may (stress MAY) have involved the RAN.

hval
11th Oct 2011, 12:12
If there is any truth in the story it must be another nationalities' helicopter as no Australian helicopter went missing. If this incident occurred in the Philippines then it must have been a USA aircraft. To steal one would be pretty difficult. I suspect a retask occured. I shall have to question my sister further.

Andu
11th Oct 2011, 12:25
To steal one would be pretty difficult.Difficult? If the aircraft was a Huey and the pitot covers and rotor strops were already off, someone who knew what he was doing could be airborne in under a minute. On SAR flight, they could get a 'primed' Huey (pre-start scans already done, all but the last three switches on) airborne in 40 seconds.

I was in the RAAF helo world not long after the dates mentioned, and I can't believe a stolen chopper wouldn't have been common knowledge - and I didn't hear a squeak. As hval says, a re-tasking sounds far more likely, and maybe someone made a light-hearted quip that became a Chinese whisper when it got third or fourth hand.

Deaf
11th Oct 2011, 12:35
Of course in the Philippines it might have been sold by the guard(s)