PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Australian Forces Helicopter - Philippines 1967/ 68

hval
9th Oct 2011, 11:36
Good afternoon all,

I was told an interesting story by my elder sister last night that made me laugh. I was unaware of the story and am interested in additional details.

Back in the 1960's (probably 1967 or 1968) my father, who was stationed in Singapore, was on a tour of Australia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. The tour was courtesy of the Australian army and probably SEATO. Whilst in the Philippines my father was flown in to somewhere by an Australian military helicopter for a meeting. Upon exiting the meeting it was discovered that the helicopter had been stolen.

Does anyone know of this story and have any additional details? My sister who is not interested in the forces has no further memories. What a shame. I would be interested in learning more prior to my fathers funeral that is on Thursday if possible. If not possible I would still love to know what happened. Isn't it a shame what we learn after our parents death. Wish I knew more.

Hval

sycamore
9th Oct 2011, 11:57
You could also try the `Dunnunda(Oz) forum...

hval
9th Oct 2011, 11:59
Sycamore,

Cheers, shall do. Included it here initially as my father was British Army. Wasn't sure if I should repeat it, but shall. Thanks again.

Hval

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2011, 15:39
You sure the meeting wasn't at Speke?

hval
9th Oct 2011, 16:13
Buster,

Bloody long way to fly a helicopter. Maybe that's where it went to