PDA

View Full Version : Flying training

septerra
9th Oct 2011, 09:31
Hello one and all

I hope I am posting in the relevant section and I apologise in advance for my naiveté.

I wish to undertake flying training and work my way towards getting the relevant licenses. I understand that there are certain training providers that offer VET FEE HELP, which covers the cost of training.

My question is, is this possible only if you undertake a formal structured course on a full time basis? Am I able to claim training expenses if I wish to undertake training on a more casual basis, say every weekend and scheduled around work and other commitments? I certainly cannot give up work and study full time, ever again in my life.

If I am to pursue flying at my own leisure, though it would take a lot longer than undertaking a formally structured full time course, would I still be able to gain a career in aviation a few years down the line? I am aware that its quite a vague question, but am looking forward to your opinions and input.

I wish to gain information so I can pursue my passion which has always eluded me so far. I hope this is a good place to start gathering relevant information on how to go about becoming a pilot.

Best Regards
Septerra

Lasiorhinus
10th Oct 2011, 06:16
My question is, is this possible only if you undertake a formal structured course on a full time basis?

Yes

Am I able to claim training expenses if I wish to undertake training on a more casual basis, say every weekend and scheduled around work and other
commitments?

No.

I certainly cannot give up work and study full time, ever again in my life.

Oh.

If I am to pursue flying at my own leisure, though it would take a lot longer than undertaking a formally structured full time course, would I still be able to gain a career in aviation a few years down the line?

Yes

PA38 Captain
10th Oct 2011, 21:39
Aviation is a full time job. Either get in or get out! :ugh:

Chimbu chuckles
10th Oct 2011, 23:24
Another quality post from PA38 Captain - not a bad effort there - I will have to track down your other 2 posts and see if they match the two I have read so far.:D

PA38 Captain
10th Oct 2011, 23:54
Good to see i have a fan. Aviation is a fierce industry. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Arm out the window
11th Oct 2011, 01:23
And if you can't say something useful, trot out a cliche!

Jabawocky
11th Oct 2011, 02:06
Good to see i have a fan. Aviation is a fierce industry. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

:D:D:D:}:}:}:ok::ok::ok:

That is Gold....... And if only you knew.....I reckon Chimbu Chuck has seen, started or put out more kitchen fires than you have had hot dinners.

This is going to be fun to watch.......... beers and popcorn anyone ;)

Lat3ralus
16th Oct 2011, 04:26
At the moment there are only two RTO's in Australia qualified to carry out VET FEE Help COurses: FTA (Adelaide) and TVSA (Melbourne)

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to these courses other than full time.

If this is an issue i suggest you like into doing it on a part time-modular basis. Yes, it takes longer, but it is easier on the pocket and on the family.

Hope this helps,

Lat

Wanderin_dave
16th Oct 2011, 04:50
Geez PA-38, aviation is a full time only gig is it? :sad:

I've been flying part-time for 4 years now. In that time I've flown stuff I never would have thought I would get anywhere near, I've never enjoyed my flying more and to top it off I've never had more $$$ in the bank .........

........what was that you said again? :D

Oh, and fierce?

I work in finance and aviation. A lot more people go a lot further out of their way to look after you in aviation that's for sure!!

I think you're doing it wrong!

morno
16th Oct 2011, 05:25
Aviation is a full time job. Either get in or get out! :ugh:

This coming from the same guy who thinks that stall speed increased with a tailwind, ohhh now I've read everything, :E.

How's that Aerodynamics reading going PA-38 Captain?

morno

Above The Clouds
16th Oct 2011, 08:19
How's that Aerodynamics reading going PA-38 Captain?

I think it all became far too much for PA38 Captain and his troll friend Paketua9ae because Puket deleted the whole of his last post regarding turning back after an engine failure due to the basic aerodynamic questions being to difficult, not suprising if you are convinced that a tailwind increases the stall speed.

in-cog-nito
16th Oct 2011, 09:23
This coming from the same guy who thinks that stall speed increased with a tailwind

Wow! This one has to go striaght to the 'Pilot standards decreasing' thread. And then there is this oldie but a goodie.

turning back after an engine failure due to the basic aerodynamic questions being to difficult

Lets put the theory about EFATO aside for a minute and think about this.
-Where is it in the Day VFR syllabus as sequence to be taught with standards and range of varibles, etc,etc,etc?
-Where is the procedure for a turn back in section 3 of the aircraft POH?
-Have you actually been taught how to do one or done it?
The RAAF use to teach it many years ago, but not anymore for obvious reasons.

OK, nuff said about that. Now, back to topic of discussion.

VET FEE HELP
Read the fine print about the loan fee of 20%. You don't get something for nothing unfortunely. Eventhrough you pay it off through your tax and you don't physically see the money being taken out like a bank loan repayment, it could still take a long time to pay it off.

I agree with Lat3ralus. Part time training fully funded by your good self while keeping your full-time employment. You're 22, so age shouldn't be too much of an issue later when you hit the job market. Plan on about 3-3.5 years to complete. I know it sounds like an eternity but at the end of it, you will be debt free.
It worked for me.

Cheers,
In-cog-nito

Good luck and don't :mad: it up!
P.S. treat your training like a job interview. How you conduct yourself (without being a brown nose) can help down the track.