PDA

View Full Version : C310 ditches enroute USA-AUS

1a sound asleep
8th Oct 2011, 13:23
Awesome video of the successful ditching today just off Hilo.

Pilot rescued after ditching plane off Big Island - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/15646096/hawaii-rescue-crews-ready-for-emergency-landing)

172driver
8th Oct 2011, 13:31
Amazing - well done !

:D:D:D

dl_88
8th Oct 2011, 15:42
The Cessna 310 has a range of 1000nm, and from where he took off from to Hilo, Hawaii, is about 2500nm.

How did he managed to ditch 13nm off shore? In any case, isn't he pushing the limits of the plane a tad bit too far?

MakeItHappenCaptain
8th Oct 2011, 15:46
How did you think most of the 310's in Aus got here?

Ferry tanks, although in this case, not big enough ones.

It was a textbook landing.....
For an aircraft in the water.....
If there is such a thing.....

Ditching?:E

dl_88
8th Oct 2011, 15:57
@MakeItHappenCaptain: Oh alright, thanks for the enlightenment. cheers mate
always learning new stuff everyday.

I thought, they would have packed ,crated and shipped them over.

Wally Mk2
8th Oct 2011, 23:42
.................yep he sure was professional throughout the whole event, right up to where he ran out of fuel!:=
He's damn lucky it was a controlled event!

Wmk2

thrustpig
9th Oct 2011, 02:21
Sh!t Happens. Did anyone die? Cessna made heaps of 310's. If I had to ditch, I hope a crew with that capability are on standby, nearby. Well done!!!!!!:)

Andy_RR
9th Oct 2011, 03:37
.................yep he sure was professional throughout the whole event, right up to where he ran out of fuel!:=
He's damn lucky it was a controlled event!

Wmk2

I guess it appears he was professional enough to know he was going to run out of fuel before it became an unpleasant surprise, and he had the humility to alert the rescue services early enough to allow them to mobliize.

Could have turned out a lot worse if he just tightened his sphincter a bit more and kept on going...

that guy
9th Oct 2011, 09:29
Nice work!! (on the ditching anyway) :ok: does anyone know who it was destined for in Aus?

TG

Capt Fathom
9th Oct 2011, 10:41
I'm not sure you could call that ditching stalling it on! Seemed very fast, but that may be just an affect of the camera zoom.
Still, seemed to go on forever after hitting the water!