PDA

View Full Version : Logging hours

Puketapu9er
8th Oct 2011, 00:04
Hi guys,

I'm just a bit curious on what the correct procedure for this is. I have heard two different stories, one being to just log whats on the hobbs & the other being to add an extra 0.4 or 0.5 aslong as you don't do it every flight although I have only heard this from a couple guys.

I used to be against the latter but lately I have come to realise that taking into account the preflight and pre start checks its only fair to do this. Not to mention how hard it is to build hours at the moment.

Views?

VH-FTS
8th Oct 2011, 00:17
Don't forget that whenever you fly as a passenger in the right hand seat, or even in a jump seat, you can log it as co-pilot time. If you've got some mates who fly twins, asking to come along so you can start building those precious multi hours :ok:

tmpffisch
8th Oct 2011, 00:26
View's? It's not a view, it's written there in black and white. Don't care what the regulations say; some arbitrary story about adding HALF AN HOUR taxi time sound better? Don't you wear a watch? Block off to block on.

http://airservicesaustralia.com/flying/specopinfo/docs/logbook.pdf (can't believe I took the time to find that for you. Only took 5 minutes, may as well count it as 0.5 of an hour)

MyNameIsIs
8th Oct 2011, 00:38
Look at the front of your logbook.

"Flight Time means the total time from when the aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of a flight until the moment at which it comes to rest on completion of the flight. (This is synonymous with "chock to chock", "block to block" or "pushback to block" time)."

Or log engine time, the time from when the engine is started till its stopped, for the purpose of flight. You do NOT add bonus hours to engine time.

What the hell would you be adding nearly HALF an hour to? Half an hour of time that you didnt do is not time that you log. May as well just log your duty period as flight time instead then. That's basically what your 0.4-0.5 is doing.

Some people add a 0.1 or maybe as much as 0.2 to their block on/off or more likely their wheels on/off time to get a more accurate representative of engine time if you don't have an engine hour hobbs ticking over.
If your Hobbs is airswitch instead of engine, then a 0.1 or (if its a massive taxi) 0.2 wouldnt be out of the ordinary.

one being to just log whats on the hobbs & the other being to add an extra 0.4 or 0.5 aslong as you don't do it every flight although I have only heard this from a couple guys.

Views?
Those guys have no idea.
And "as long as you don't do it every flight", why not?? Doesn't ring any bells about potential dodginess?

Sounds kinda similar to people logging IF time when in Day VMC just because they are IFR. It shows at the end of the day though, they claim to have all this experience yet cant fly for sh*t.

Lancair70
8th Oct 2011, 01:09
Ive always, until quite recently, logged the same as the tacho, vdo, hobbs or airswitch in the a/c Im flying.
Then I was told by a CFI to add 0.1 to tacho times or airswitch times because they dont take into account the taxi time.
Flying skydivers at approx 0.4 per load (wheels off to wheels on) for well over 500hrs without adding this extra 0.1 in = :sad:
Id have at least an extra 125hrs in my log book. Too late to go back now though.

compressor stall
8th Oct 2011, 01:14
You should write down the time that you commence taxi for your flight and the time that you put the park brakes on. You log the difference of these two times.

Any more and you're committing an offence, any less and you're ripping yourself off (and technically committing an offence).

Puketapu9er
8th Oct 2011, 02:14
Thanks for clearing up the confusion, I never knew where to look! The Chief Pilot at our organisation has had a read over this and is looking at making it a SOP to add 0.3 now to each flight.

VH-FTS
8th Oct 2011, 04:49
Wow, is the experience pool at CP level getting that bad?

JMEN
8th Oct 2011, 05:46
Is this a wind up?

It has been answered you log from the time the aircraft moves under its own power with intent to take off to when it chocks on.

Adding a blanket .3 or 18 mins.....

:ugh:

It can be confusing in the beginning though, you pay VDO from when the master switch is on, the MR is logged flight time and you log chock to chock....

Take the easy option write down the time you start to taxi to when ya stop!

tail wheel
8th Oct 2011, 06:18
The perennial question, last asked in August 2010: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/424957-inaccurate-logbook-entries.html

Aussie Bob
8th Oct 2011, 07:56
It can be confusing in the beginning though, you pay VDO from when the master switch is on, the MR is logged flight time and you log chock to chock....

Every plane I have ever flown, the VDO was activated by oil pressure, not the master. VDO is start up to shutdown.

SpyderPig
8th Oct 2011, 13:22
Ive been logging VDO hours since I started. Was instructed to do so from the start and was not informed to change when I changed schools:oh:

MakeItHappenCaptain
8th Oct 2011, 15:52
JMEN,
Wind up?

Agree. Just look at previous posts from initiator.

(ie. I wear thongs and anyone seen a 380 job for me?):D

No-one should unintentionally ask these sorts of dumb questions.

TAKE NOTE ANY GUMBYS THINKING OF ASKING THESE SORTS OF DUMB QUESTIONS!

LeadSled
9th Oct 2011, 02:05
Folks,
Please follow Tailwheel's link.

The LAW, as in LAW, is quite clear about what a pilot logs and what goes in the aircraft MR/log/doc. of choice. The definitions of flight time and time in service (air time) are simple and straight forward.

Forget VDOs, rules of thumb, adding some fictitious flight factor. If some "driving instructor" told you it was OK to speed, what would you tell the wallopers when you got pulled up? "That's what my Chief Instructor told me to do".

There are no "SOPs", school rules or whatever, it is a matter of LAW.

Just comply with the law, and you will not have trouble with the law.

It really is that simple. So get with it!! Log books are a fertile feeding ground for the Airstapo doing audits.

Tootle pip!!