PDA

View Full Version : CASA ATPL Aerodynamics and Aircraft System

robnz
6th Oct 2011, 09:55
Have sat this darn exam about 6 months ago and got 65%, just am starting back on it now. Has anyone recently sat this? If anyone has some golden questions or general areas that featured alot can you please let me know. Cheers

Windshear_ahead
7th Oct 2011, 02:34
G'day. I sat it about 2 months ago. Home studied with Higgins notes. I know it's been said already, but it really is the way to go. There are no golden questions that are certainly going to be on the exam.

Good luck, there is alot of variety in it. If you can do all the questions in the book, you will be right.

PPRuNeUser0163
7th Oct 2011, 06:48
Rob,

I found this exam quite tricky too, not so much because of the huge amount of content but moreso the way they tested it (ie the wording). What you have to do is firstly try and see if it was the knowledge factor that was the issue- ie knowing all the sub criteria for each section is critical - that means using Averys book to substitute AFT or whoever elses you are using. Usually 2 produce a much better outcome and more questions to practice with.

I recommend you take a few weeks to study for it, allowing time to absorb the info slowly rather then try take it all in one go- worked for me!

PM me for any further questions..

cficare
7th Oct 2011, 10:17
65%....hmmm

you need to do a little study........you wont be 'gifted' a pass.

MACH082
7th Oct 2011, 11:11
I found with this exam rather than "picking" the right answer, you need to rule the other answers out until you get the right answer, or the answer that is the most right.

There are some pretty tricky ambiguous questions. AFT got me through first go with 80%.

WannaBeBiggles
7th Oct 2011, 20:39
I sat this earlier this year and agree it is a difficult exam, not in as far as how it is structured, but in the sheer content you have to know, and know well!

This is not an exam you can rote learn, learn the content back to front. Even Nathan Higgins suggest you use the questions as a study guide more than something to learn the answers to.

There aren't any "gold questions" to this puppy and if you see some similar question, BEWARE, there is a good chance that the question is asking something subtly different to the questions you've seen.

Just learn the content, and use Rob Averys stuff along with AFT if you REALLY want to know the subject as he covers more areas with a little more details, such as Aerodynamics and things such as the flying tail.

I found that once I did practice exams I would explain and/or draw the system or portion of the system the question was on, that helped to no end in the exam, especially when it with the various types of electrical systems and what would trip when X happened or with hydraulic questions.

Study hard and good luck! :ok: