PDA

View Full Version : AAC secretly flying Pumas in NI in the 80's

Airborne Aircrew
5th Oct 2011, 12:20
There is supposedly a new book coming out that describes the feats of a secret RUC unit who "set aside the ROE" to take on the IRA. A quote from the web page states:-

This unit was primarily an air support unit, using Puma SA330 Helicopters flown by the Army Air Corp, operating over the entire six counties of Northern Ireland, but the main threatre of operations being in the South Armagh region and surrounding border.

The unit operated as a support team for security force ground units, and a rapid reaction deployment force from Bessbrook Mill outside Newry usually after any terrorist incidend or attack. The book covers the period from 1980 until it's disbandment in 1994.
Yes, I have noted the spelling mistakes on the web page... :suspect:

I'm thinking it would have been pretty difficult to hide the existence of the AAC Puma(s) from the two Puma squadrons and 72 squadron. They would also need engineering support and aircraft would have to be swapped in and out for major servicing. The aviation world at the time would surely have known about this. Hands up if you can shed any light on it... :ok:

It seems to me that this simply checkable detail gives rise to doubt about the voracity of the entire book.

Link (http://nationalguard1.hubpages.com/hub/RUC-SAS-Covert-Operations-In-Ulster)

oggers
5th Oct 2011, 12:32
:hmm: As far as AAC operating a Puma is concerned it's probably just a misconception on the part of whoever wrote the web page.

Having said that, the Army Air Corps are the best pilots in the world. According to Top Gear.

charliegolf
5th Oct 2011, 13:29
I'm thinking it would have been pretty difficult to hide the existence of the AAC Puma(s) from the two Puma squadrons and 72 squadron.

Yes, and not to mention the several years when there were no (shhh:E) Puma squadrons there at all!

CG

P6 Driver
5th Oct 2011, 17:54
Perhaps they were so secret, they were made to look like Gazelles - oops, I've said too much...
:oh:

ShyTorque
5th Oct 2011, 20:42
All SH helicopters in NI were flown by the "Army". I heard it many times on the news. Even when the Puma parked behind the reporter had the following writing in big letters "Royal Air Force".

The aviation world at the time would surely have known about this. Hands up if you can shed any light on it...

:ok:

Boslandew
5th Oct 2011, 21:29
I sometimes wonder if anyone in the media anywhere has any understanding or knowledge of the services at all.

diginagain
5th Oct 2011, 21:41
Reading some of the comments on the linked thread it's going to be as big a work of fiction as anything by A. Macnab.

Airborne Aircrew
5th Oct 2011, 21:42
Read all the comments below the main article in the link... The whole thing descends into ridiculousness... Especially in the last 36 hours... :E

diginagain
5th Oct 2011, 21:45
Noticed a bit of hacking taking place. I wonder where some of the miscreants might have come from.............

parabellum
5th Oct 2011, 23:41
Would there have been any need to form a separate unit when the SAS and SBS were already insitu?

SASless
6th Oct 2011, 00:26
Did they mean to say the pilots were secretly flying the Pumas......and did not to suggest the Pumas were secret? Or...that Army Pilots were secretly flying RAF Puma's and even the RAF did not tweak?

GreenKnight121
6th Oct 2011, 04:27
Puma... Lynx... they are both large felines, so no Walt would ever know the difference.

:E

snafu
6th Oct 2011, 17:52
The document linked in Airborne Aircrew's original post no longer exists...

The article you are looking for is no longer published.

It's all a conspiracy I tell you!! :suspect:

P6 Driver
6th Oct 2011, 19:19
"Would there have been any need to form a separate unit when the SAS and SBS were already insitu?"

Well that's let the cat out of the bag!
:rolleyes:

With security like that, it's a miracle the Puma affair has been kept under wraps for so long...

Airborne Aircrew
6th Oct 2011, 20:12
P6:

Al brands of Ulster's Paramilitaries were well aware of the presence of the SAS/SBS in the province by 1979 at the latest...

P6 Driver
6th Oct 2011, 20:19
AA,

You could put your tongue firmly in your cheek and read my post again. The concept of sarcasm isn't new, but it appears that it may have been lost in this case!
:ugh:

Airborne Aircrew
6th Oct 2011, 20:33
Sorry, I misread the :rolleyes: in your post... ;)

Secret1
6th Oct 2011, 20:55
Complete hogwash, probably written by little green men related to Steve Mitchell and Colin Anderson.:*

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2011, 22:28
The SBS lived in submarines in Loch Neagh. I thought everyone knew that.

Quite a few army pilots saw the light, changed over to light blue uniforms and did later fly Puma. Not that anyone wore light blue uniforms in that theatre. Maybe that is how incorrect information was generated.

BarbiesBoyfriend
6th Oct 2011, 22:46
I can reveal that a Puma, hovering at 10,000' above Befast, can't be heard on the ground.:uhoh:

diginagain
6th Oct 2011, 22:50
Or alternatively, .... the greatest work of fiction since vows of fidelity were included in the French marriage service.

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2011, 23:29
I can reveal that a Puma, hovering at 10,000' above Befast, can't be heard on the ground.

Is it Christmas already (I note there's "No-el" in it). :p

BarbiesBoyfriend
7th Oct 2011, 00:12
Shy

Yup. Like last year the management awarded us a 'Christmas Bonfus'.

My mate said, 'wot? there's no 'F' in 'Bonus'.

Correct, said his boss; there is no 'F' in bonus. :ooh:

Cows getting bigger
7th Oct 2011, 05:57
I can reveal that a Puma, hovering at 10,000' above Befast, can't be heard on the ground.

... Unlike the EC145 or Defender/Islander that tries it's best to stay in one place. :sad:

Wessex Boy
7th Oct 2011, 08:19
I thought it was SOP that all bad news involving SH were attributed to the Army, all good news (SAR, Kittens from trees, puppies rescued from fires) were RAF

RUCAWO
7th Oct 2011, 12:35
I have no idea ;)who was getting stuck in to poor old Nick/Nigel/Nationalguard1/Guardian release etc, a walt of the highest order .

Airborne Aircrew
7th Oct 2011, 13:08
Golly... The page has been removed...

I guess the heat got a little too warm... :D

RUCAWO
7th Oct 2011, 13:24
All is not lost.

ROYAL ULSTER CONSTABULARY BROTHERHOOD OF SILENCE RUC (http://nationalguard1.hubpages.com/hub/ROYAL-ULSTER-CONSTABULARY-BROTHERHOOD-OF-SILENCE-RUC)

Nick James - Authors Articles - ArticlesBase.com (http://www.articlesbase.com/authors/nick-james/829075)

NATIONALGUARD1 - Hot Hubs (http://nationalguard1.hubpages.com/hubs/hot)

Airborne Aircrew
7th Oct 2011, 14:46
He really is a sad little man...