PDA

View Full Version : Inside Story - Blighty to Belize (1977)

Skilly
5th Oct 2011, 10:58
BBC iPlayer - Inside Story: From Blighty to Belize (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00js3r1/Inside_Story_From_Blighty_to_Belize/)

I have just found this programme on the BBC iPlayer regarding a programme made about British forces stationed in Belize at Christmas 1977.

Some great film of Harriers taking off from jungle locations and brings back memories of Belize from my time there in 1999.Still a sh1t hole in places!

Some of the comments about Belizeans may offend if you are into your political correctness. Made in 1977 PC wasn't high on the military priority list.

The programme brought a smile to my face.

noprobs
5th Oct 2011, 18:29
Thank you for finding that. I searched and failed, but your link worked just fine. I was in Belize when it was filmed, and had heard about the final programme, but had never seen it. I now understand why it caused trouble at the time, and I'm very pleased to have seen it at last.

thing
5th Oct 2011, 22:13
Thanks for that Skilly. Was there just after in '78 with 3. Brought back a few memories.

gayford
6th Oct 2011, 02:09
Thanks Skilly, I was also there for Christmas 1977 (Butcher Radar). The programme brought back many, mostly pleasant, memories.

Rossian
6th Oct 2011, 17:04
.....where a squaddie referred to a certain "gobblin' Jenny" ?? at some remote outpost.

The Ancient Mariner

uffington sb
7th Oct 2011, 11:23
Ouch! What a cringe worthy commentary.
The film did highlight the capabilities of the old tin Harrier against the later, more sophisticated, plastic versions.
I don't think their Airships would've been too pleased to have their plastic Harriers operating in such a crappy environment. Perhaps this shOuld be in the 'Decision to axe the Harrier is bonkers' thread.
The commentator wasn't too chuffed with the fish 'eds either.