PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh Accomodation 2012

under the wire
5th Oct 2011, 06:37
Have been checking out motels in the area for my first trip there next year and every one that has a web page is booked already for those dates. Question to those that have been or are going next year where do you suggest trying. Thanks :(

T28D
5th Oct 2011, 08:08
University of Wisconsin, they use their empty student accomodation blocks

VH-XXX
5th Oct 2011, 08:22
The masses usually go to the University as stated (particularly if you are traveling alone). There should be heaps of homestays on the EAA website but you are probably a bit early; if you are remotely social you'd enjoy a homestay as they are often pilots homes, but usually locals after an extra buck. Homestays can be circa $150 a night but they usually feed you for that. Jabba, Beechie and I (and others) stayed in Fon du Lac, but it was $250+ a night and you'd need a car - that was ok for us though as there were 8 of us sharing a van.

ChrisJ800
5th Oct 2011, 10:55
I recommend a homestay. I had great food & hospitality and got chauffeured around including a look around Green Bay. More social than staying in a hotel.

hadagutful
5th Oct 2011, 12:38
Went this year and also in 2006, stayed at the Uni of Wisconsin dorms both times and no doubt the most cost effective and convenient option. (US$50/night).

Very close to airfield with about a 10 minute bus ride, buy the weekly ticket and the meals in the dining room very reasonable at $12 with heaps to eat.
Also the famous Kellys Bar on site with good well priced beers and social life on tap.
Only thing with dorm room is most are not air-conned so you will need a fan as it gets damn hot.

Now if you are a real big spender and cashed up you could do what some friends did and put in at the Hilton Hotel right on the airfield with rooftop viewing/BBQ area. (US$500 per night!) :ok::

AirBumps
5th Oct 2011, 12:53
I went this year and rented an RV for the week and stayed at the onsite camp grounds. Wouldn't have done it any other way!

There are showers, general stores, laundry facilities...everything you need is located inside the campground itself. It allows you to take advantage of all the 'after hours' entertainment at the show and still stumble home.

The campground was a massive social event in itself. Me and a buddy flew into ORD and drove up from there. Much cheaper than staying in a hotel for the duration. I saw some of the university accommodation and it looked OK, but for me it was great being onsite itself. We could come and go as we pleased.

PM if you want any further details.

AB

CHAIRMAN
5th Oct 2011, 14:25
70 or so bucks a night, bagel and coffee breakfast included - on the lake opposite the yacht club (beer $1.50) - walk or beg a ride to the show(it's that close). Lots of posters and lookers here have stayed at Gloria and Dels. Great people with home grown hospitality - and it's airconditioned :ok:

ChrisJ800
5th Oct 2011, 22:43
RV'in would be a great way to see it. Even though I homestayed, I got invited to a BBQ lunch at the RV park and the atmosphere was great. Everyone really friendly and in a party mood. By the way does Qantas still do the fly-in there?

AirBumps
7th Oct 2011, 01:23
Hey guys,

I got a few PM's for info about RV's and what not so thought I'd post here rather than replying to each PM individually.

I've rented RV's a few times in North America. Of all the places I've used, I've found Cruise America is the best place to get them from. In my experience most places will give much the same prices over peak season but at least with Cruise America you get great service and they've got depots everywhere. I'm sure there are others out there who will be able to recommend other places, but thats just been my experience. Never had a problem with them and the vans are all in good shape.

This year it cost me $1400 for the 8 days we had ours - not too bad in peak season. That was for a 19footer that sleeps 3 with shower, toilet and full kitchen including stove, microwave, fridge and freezer and aircon. One thing I will say is if you want to be comfy, get one with aircon. It gets bloody hot out there in summer and sleeping of a nighttime can be difficult after your van's been sitting in 35degree heat all day long. Picked up and dropped off from ORD. Aside from getting there a little early and having to wait at pickup no dramas at all.

Parking at the campground is great. Despite what the EAA website tells you everything is done on a first come first in basis. The campground is divided into different areas (24hour generator, running water, pets etc) and we thought we where going to be able to get in early and get ourselves a 24 gen and running water spot....no such luck. Apparently those usually fill up a week or so before the show starts. Having said that, the regular parking is fine and you can get everything you need from the onsite stores. The 24hour gen parking is also bloody noisy. Regular spots let you run the RV's gen until 2200 (but nobody cares as everybody is up later than that anyway).

We got there on the Saturday morning and I would estimate that about 2/3 of the camp ground was taken. Still, we had no problems getting a decent spot near one of the general stores and only a 50 metre walk to one of the shower blocks. I probably wouldn't arrive much later than Sunday afternoon - having said that however there where people leaving all the time and I don't think at any time was the campsite actually completely full. Its a bloody big place.

I found it a fantastic way to experience the event. The social side was great at night and we meet some fantastic people. It also meant that you could come and go from the event itself with ease and not have to commute back into town.

Good luck,
AB

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Oct 2011, 15:45
You could always book in with Torii Tours....

No I don't work for them, just went this year for a first time trip to OSH and also did the 21day tour of museums, Boeing factory, Bone Yard, Grand Canyon etc etc
I thought it to be of 'good value', and certainly a good time was had by all.
The 'social side' was GREAT!!

Everything organised, however the accom. at the Uni was not air conditioned.
I am told that for a little extra one could book the A/c accom.

Just a thought.....:ok:

under the wire
8th Oct 2011, 23:19
Thanks for the suggestions. Dorm accom whould be fine if I was going alone but have the cook coming as well (she doesn't trust me with the cheque book ). The RV idea sounds great and am thinking of perhaps buying a 2nd hand one over there as will be travelling for 6weeks, friends in the States and Family in Canada. Looking forward to it hope it lives up to the expectation.