PDA

View Full Version : Canadian education details

BC04
5th Oct 2011, 01:38
I am about to embark on my journey towards a CPL and am just curious as to whether there is a big difference between having a 3 year BA or a 4 year honour's BA from an Ontario university in the eyes of the aviation world. I currently hold a 3 year BA - Economics from the University of Guelph and would be willing to upgrade if necessary, but if it does not make a difference then I will not bother.
Any incite would be greatly appreciated!!

paco
5th Oct 2011, 06:36
You don't mention what you woul be reading, but spelling would be a major improvement.

BC04
5th Oct 2011, 13:22
What do you mean by reading PACO? Is this meant to be asking what I would be studying in university? As I mentioned in my post, I currently have a degree in economics...
As for the spelling, I am also unsure of this comment. Did I spell something incorrectly?

zondaracer
5th Oct 2011, 14:23
Spelling: insight vs incite. :8

BC04
5th Oct 2011, 15:48
Ha, there it is. My apologies.
With that settled, does anyone have any INSIGHT into this matter?

paco
5th Oct 2011, 18:47
I therefore assume you are wondering whether to carry on with another year of Economics?

A degree of any kind won't make much difference with regard to a CPL or any other licence (unless your future employer wants one for some reason) but it may serve you in later life when you want to move into management, or when your passengers have degrees and won't otherwise listen to you - I guess that depends if you are going into bush or airline flying.

On that basis, 3, years, 4 years, who cares?

BC04
5th Oct 2011, 23:20
Thanks for the response Phil.

I am hoping to make my way into airline flying (eventually) and was just concerned that I may be at a disadvantage only having the three year degree. I have already completed the degree and would therefor have to return to school to upgrade, so this is great news.

Thanks again!

paco
6th Oct 2011, 16:22
Glad to have helped - but your uni experience will be useful for studying! Where will you be learning?

India Four Two
7th Oct 2011, 16:01
Hi BC04,

Just for clarification, when a Brit says "What are you reading at University?", that's the same as a Canadian saying "What are you studying at school, eh?"

I know. I grew up in Britain but now roam the world as a Canuck :)

Also, as Paco says, a degree won't make much difference, but you might like to know that a standard UK BA/BSc takes only three years, so a UK employer wouldn't notice anything unusual about your qualifications in your CV (not Resumé ;) )

paco
7th Oct 2011, 16:17
I'm a canuck as well! :)