PDA

View Full Version : Books for Instructors

MalteseJambo
3rd Oct 2011, 21:51
Hi all,

Going to start the FI rating shortly, and was wondering if there are any books which would be recommended to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Rithalic
4th Oct 2011, 12:26
would recommend the patter manual - cant remember who the authors are but gives a nice run through of the exercises.

campbells book is very detailed and gives you pretty much everything you'll need.

get a copy of lasors for referencing, free to download but quite handy to have a hard copy for the course and then presumably as an instructor thereafter. also a copy of the poh for the a/c you'll be doing it on is very useful. (if its in a pa28 then i have a copy of one i can email over, pm me)

best of luck with it, get lots of pre-study done so you can concentrate on the exercises through the course.

high wing harry
4th Oct 2011, 19:31
I would strongly recommend getting hold of either the Trevor Thom (Pooleys) PPL books or the Jeremy Pratt PPL books for a good overview of what your students will need to know - plus it will focus your ATPL knowledge on the stuff you will need!

Also - go onto www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk) and search for "Standards Document 10" - it's a massive document but at the back the appendix has a list of about 200 questions which you will need to be able to answer - it's basically a list of what the examiner can ask you about in the Q&A section of your test.

Lastly, be happy with POH / Manual of the aircraft you are doing the course on and be able to read weather / NOTAM info

Good luck!

Mickey Kaye
4th Oct 2011, 21:08
I think the patter manual and cambells are rubbish.

Know Trevor Thom/Pratt PPL books. Which ever one you prefer/the place where you hope to work use.

Ontrack do a "Instructional Techniques for the Flight Instructor " which is excellent and the only two schools FI schools that I know use this.

Why not ask the school you are thinking of training at what they recommend

MIKECR
4th Oct 2011, 21:49
RD Campbells book has everything you need. Its a bit heavy going at times but its all in there.

Pilot DAR
4th Oct 2011, 23:30
Perhaps this thread: http://www.pprune.org/flight-testing/363780-flight-test-book-review-thread.html will be of some help. In particular, I would like to highlight my post #16

tilos
5th Oct 2011, 08:34
Get an old copy of the Jeppesen Flight Instructor Manual.
It's a classic but may be hard to find.