PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Doha / Qatar arways

zman
3rd Oct 2011, 20:51
Anyone within the last year move to Doha?

how is the family life ? ok for wife and young daughter?

do you get placed in Holliday villas?

are pets allowed there ? I have a dog coming with

how is the car purchase handled? do you go to a dealership and tell them you work for qatar and thats it?

anything else I am missing fill me in!!

thx

FlyingCroc
3rd Oct 2011, 21:06
God luck mate, read up, there are thousands of posts about QR. :E

Alcatraz69
3rd Oct 2011, 23:31
I Guess if you can't spell QR , you are in trouble !

Good Luck

tokamak69
4th Oct 2011, 13:49
Hi zman,

If you have any answer for pet in Holiday Villas , please share, i'm in the same situation.
I've sent an email via the website but no answer yet.

I just know that pets are not allowed in the hotel but i don't know for apartments which are not in the same block

spanner the cat
4th Oct 2011, 21:47
The ? about you wife and daughter will depend on a) your wife and b) how old your daughter is. If she's pre-school you'll have more time to research and apply to schools.

You'll be placed wherever there are vacant spaces. There are pros and cons to all the accomodation. If my family were out in Doha I'd probably ask for a move to AKG from HV and apply for the accomodation allowance which is enough to enable you to rent a villa on a compound (you may also have to pay a small amount on top depending on the rental you agree with the landlord - you get 10000QAR to play with). The wait is approx 1 year at the moment for the allowance.

Pets are accomodation dependant.

Car purchase can be done once you have your residents permit (RP) (approx 3-4 weeks). You can rent cars from day one - you just need an international driving licence until you get your RP at which point you must get a qatari driving licence - not difficult. Finance can be obtained from the bank and you'll need to get permission from the company and some other paperwork and then go find youself a car.

When you get out to Qatar - the best purchase you will make for working things out is a book called Marhaba which gives you good info about Doha as a newbie. The rest of it is mainly trial and error and asking around....

Enjoy.

Spanner

Non Zero
5th Oct 2011, 11:59
Dude don't worry if you don't know how to spell Qatar Airways ... you are not the first nor the last! But you better hurry up before all the AA furloughs realize QR is an valid option!

gdukkoq
8th Oct 2011, 09:05
Anyone knows the taxes to import a car when moving to Doha. (I'm talking about a brand new car)

skya320
9th Oct 2011, 19:58
As far as I know it's 10% of the value plus the cost for those shipping guys to clear customs for you. (Not allow to clear your own items here in Qatar)

jibba_jabba
10th Oct 2011, 03:51
Hi guys,

for those who are currently working at QR would you recommend it compared to say jetstar oz?

Capt Krunch
10th Oct 2011, 04:52
gdukkoq

my best advise to you is.. leave your car behind.

3. your imported car will get destroyed. people are extremely careless here.
2. the driving is something unique and sometimes a bit dangerous.
and the number 1 reason to leave your car home is…
you just never know how long you or your job will last here. Now to be positive.. I have been more than a decade in this place and all is ok, relatively speaking. There have been guys that do NOT make it thru the training (not that its hard) and there are some that just cant seem to make it here for various reason. Some get terminated and some just leave, some get so fed up that they leave with little or no notice. use your imagination and think of scenarios that would push you to that extent and there you have it.

not to mention that it's extremely easy to purchase/finance a car in this country

salsaboy
10th Oct 2011, 17:56
Talking of financing a car over there, what is a typical interest rate from a Qatari bank?

skya320
15th Oct 2011, 20:21
4-6% flat rate depend on bank.
As for HSBC 6% with maximum of 4 years term.
Maximum loan QAR 300,000 (Personal, Car Loan, or any other loan)