PDA

View Full Version : European Jumpseat

Gspot
30th May 2001, 23:24
As I am sure many of you know, here in the USA we enjoy a very comprehensive jumpseat arrangement for pilots of Scheduled Airlines, primarilly for getting to and from work but also to get to and from anywhere.

We have a published list of carriers with whom we have a formal agreement although lots of others travel too.

My question is, does the same sort of thing happen in Europe and if so what would happen if I showed up at your gate with my US airline ID? It seems all our formal arrangements are with US carriers.

As a ex-pat Brit I oftern travel on US carrier jumpseats to and from the UK but would love to be able to go further afield.

TE RANGI
30th May 2001, 23:44
Gspot,

You can do that in Spain on any carrier. All you need is a valid pilot's licence and an airline crewmember ID.

Just show up at the gate or the aircraft and tell them you would like to go as an EXTRA CREW. It's up to the Capt to take you and most -almost all- would, no questions asked, no paperwork. You can ride jumpseat or cabin.

The logic behind it is that the flight is safer with you on board. Lots of guys use this system to commute.

One final word of advice. Just make sure your request reaches the captain as sometimes
gate agents may not be too cooperative or under the pressure to get the flight out on time. Insist upon it or get to the aircraft via the ramp and talk to the captain directly.

Happy travelling.

Gspot
30th May 2001, 23:50
Thanks for your help, however, I'm sure ramp or even gate access it difficult without ID for that particular airport. When travelling on US carriers out of Heathrow I've gone to their service counter by the ticket desks. Maybe ops what do you think?

TE RANGI
31st May 2001, 00:07
Depends on the airport, and everyplace is different. In Spain it shouldn't generally be much of a problem to get to the gate or the ramp with your pilot credentials.

My line for one issues an Xtra-Crew boarding pass that is valid to get you through security. In any case, whether you go to the aircraft, the boarding gate, check-in counter or sales counter just make sure that your request is passed on to the Captain -ask to see a supervisor if you have to. It usually works.

Email me any time if you have something in mind and need any help.

Gear up Shut up
31st May 2001, 12:23
I have tried on a few occasions and as long as you can get the message through to the flight deck.

Have almost been caught out on regional commuter aircraft, whilst on stand by tickets and used the jumpseat. Must admit the ground staff were never really that helpful though, the Captain more than made up for them though.

31st May 2001, 12:47
Not really a good idea to try to go via the apron in the UK these days!!

I have an airside pass for our unit, and even then I get the twenty questions routine sometimes!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are UK airlines not required (i.e. by law) to issue a ticket these days, even for jumpseaters?

You splitter
31st May 2001, 17:23
I believe you are correct. Non-members of staff are required to be ticketed at all times. I would be interested to see what would happen if there was an incident. Would the insurance companies pay up. Bet they wouldn't. Would the carrier be liable or not?
Sounds like a lawyers paradise if you ask me!