PDA

View Full Version : ppl MET exam help

ashdaman
2nd Oct 2011, 12:03
hi im am studying for my meteorology exam and there is 1 quetion i think i think has the wrong answer

when an altimeter has a QFE set on its sub-scale it will indicate?

A. altitude above aerodrome surface.
B. altitude above mean sea level.
C. height above aerodrome surface.
D. elavation above mean sea level.

i think the answer should be "C "BUT its saying its "A"!! can any1 help:ugh::ugh:

mad_jock
2nd Oct 2011, 12:12
Your right and the answer given is wrong don't worry

Heston
2nd Oct 2011, 12:14
If the pilot requests to undertake the approach
using QFE, then ATC will pass the appropriate QFE and 'height' will be substituted for 'Altitude' in the RTF phraseology.

From UK AIP ENR 1.7 para 5.3.2

So you are right. What was the "it" giving the other answer?

H

ashdaman
2nd Oct 2011, 12:29
thanks, i think this should be addresed its in the ppl perfector

justmaybe
2nd Oct 2011, 13:52
Be prepared for a lot more wrong answers and explanations - it really is a poor book and expensive to boot.

FlyingSportsman
2nd Oct 2011, 15:13
QFE- Field Elevation

QNH- Nautical Height

Hope this helps! :ok:

FS

xrayalpha
2nd Oct 2011, 17:20
Except, just to confuse the chap, "Nautical Height" is actually expressed as "altitude"!

And "elevation" is height!

patowalker
2nd Oct 2011, 17:36
QNH = Query Newlyn Harbour

Probably only makes sense to those of a certain age.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Oct 2011, 17:47
QFE - Height

QNH - Altitude

Standard altimer setting (1013mb) - Flight Level

madlandrover
2nd Oct 2011, 18:22
You're right, it's wrong. Sadly, there are a few errors in the met papers too, makes marking a marginal case very tricky indeed...

justmaybe
3rd Oct 2011, 01:11
some obscure and silly questions (and answers) in the paper too. (visibility in moonlight??) The syllabus for the whole TK requirements really does need looking at afresh so as to make both the learning and testing a more useful and practical undertaking. (I think the same could be said of the CPL/ATPL TK requirements)

PompeyPaul
4th Oct 2011, 06:24
It is C but A could also be, technically, correct if the aerodrome is at sea level but there again B also becomes correctish under those conditions. It's only a technicality and C is still "more right" than A.

I found a few incorrect questions / answers during the training. Perhaps they are put there to stop people getting bored and kept on their toes?

Oldpilot55
4th Oct 2011, 07:29
Patowalker. I understand the Newlyn reference. I got demobbed off a ship in Newlyn and asked the boat driver where the tide gauge was. Its there, he said, pointing at a little brick shed. I was more than disappointed. I expected something solid and brass.
One day they will put up satellites and we can derive our altitude, heights and elevations from those...

ashdaman
4th Oct 2011, 17:09
Thanks for everybodys help on that question.. got another 1 to get you scratching your heads again:

In a mountain wave situation, the severest turbulence is most likely to be encountererd when flying.......

A- at about mid height between lenticular and roll cloud
B-just above roll cloud
C-at or below the mountain summit up to 10nm downwind
D-in or below roll cloud

ppl confuser says its D

In a mountain wave situation, the severest turbulence is most likely to be encountererd when flying.......

A- at about mid height between lenticular and roll cloud
B-just above roll cloud
C-at or below the mountain summit up to 10nm downwind
D-in or below roll cloud

Great circle app says B

i think the correct answer is D can anybody help :)

Crash one
4th Oct 2011, 18:00
Assuming "roll" cloud means "rotor" from personal experience I would definately say D!!!

ashdaman
4th Oct 2011, 18:05
Manythanks crash 1 i do believe thats what it means..

justmaybe
4th Oct 2011, 18:52
Where the met conditions exist to create rotors, the best advice for pilots of light a/c is to stay well clear of high ground. Answer D will get you the pass mark, but in truth flying in, above or below rotors will create sufficient turbulence to make it feel severe for you. Don't buy it, but if you get the opportunity have a dip into the HMSO Handbook of Aviation Met to see just what damage can occur to even a test a/c in these conditions. Browse a little further and you will see the formation of moutain waves and rotoring is a hugely complex subject, and doesn't lend itself to writing simplistic questions (or answers for that matter)