PDA

View Full Version : Pilots a little too involved in the Festival

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2011, 01:24
Seriously, how would one manage this in an ideal world?

I'll bet the local SES and CFA didn't have this one in their disaster planning scenarios!

(It was on approach to land)

A small passenger plane has crashed into a ferris wheel at a festival on the New South Wales mid-north coast.

Police say the plane crashed shortly after 10.00am (AEST) this morning at the Old Bar Festival at Taree.

Local officers say at least two people are trapped in the plane with children stuck on the the ferris wheel.

The plane is leaking aviation fuel and emergency services have been spraying the plane and wheel with foam.

The plane was taking off from the grass airstrip and failed to get enough altitude to clear the ferris wheel, which was recently placed at the southern end of the strip for the local festival.

Flyers from around the country have come to the area for the long weekend.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3204928-3x4-340x453.jpg

Plane crashes into NSW ferris wheel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-01/plane-crashes-into-nsw-ferris-wheel/3204912)

27/09
1st Oct 2011, 01:35
(It was on approach to land)

The plane was taking off from the grass airstrip and failed to get enough altitude to clear the ferris wheel

Which was it? Take off or landing? I'm guessing the former.

I wonder who was responsible for the placement of the Ferris Wheel and doing any calculations on the infringements of the departure/arrival fans, and/or issuing notams, or is that sort of thing not required in OZ?

Angle of Attack
1st Oct 2011, 01:35
I hope no one was in the gondola that looks like it has hit :(

FourBalls
1st Oct 2011, 01:40
TAREE (YTRE)
C52/11 REVIEW C42/11
OBST LGT ON BCST STATION 2RE NOT AVBL
PSN S31 55.6 E152 27.9 APRX 3NM SW OF TAREE AD
SFC TO 339FT AMSL
FROM 08 312224 TO 12 010400 EST
C56/11 REVIEW C55/11
GRASS RWY 12/30 NOT AVBL
DUE SOFT WET SFC
FROM 09 282025 TO 10 122100

So why was the pilot using the grass strip?

And how do you not miss a ferris wheel. Ferris wheel? What ferris wheel?:confused:

bentleg
1st Oct 2011, 01:51
So why was the pilot using the grass strip?

Because the only runway at Old Bar (YOBR) is grass. YTRE is a different airfield.

FourBalls
1st Oct 2011, 01:54
Fair enough - makes sense

wishiwasupthere
1st Oct 2011, 01:55
I've come across this a few times, arrriving at an airfield only to hear an aircraft operating from a grass strip that is NOTAM'ed as shut. On one occasion, I spoke to the pilot on the ground asking if he was aware that the runway was NOTAM'd shut, and he simply replied that he was a local so knows the runway condition better! Ha, good luck with that argument with the insurance company if something goes wrong and you make a claim!

ChrisJ800
1st Oct 2011, 02:08
Hopefully no one is badly hurt. Seem like the pilots will be extricated shortly. Taree wind was NW'ly but plane was taking off to the South so wonder how much downwind component (if any) they had?

Wally Mk2
1st Oct 2011, 02:35
Amazing stuff!!! Amazing that no one was killed. One obviously wouldn't hit anything whilst flying when they could see it coming so perhaps with a high nose attitude during the climb out the pilotsimplydidn't see it until too late.
Never the less excitment at a country fair:-)

Wmk2

PA39
1st Oct 2011, 02:53
WTF is a ferris wheel doing at the end of the strip? This will be another reason for the "close Old Bar" fraternity to load the rifles.

Arm out the window
1st Oct 2011, 03:23
Old mate down at the bottom with the tatts and a cigarette butt hanging out of his mouth will be wanting money for their tickets when they come down...

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2011, 04:11
One report said taking off and another said landing. Take your pick I guess at this early hour.

Jake.f
1st Oct 2011, 04:19
Another report with a different picture:
Four freed after ultra-light crashes into ferris wheel (http://www.smh.com.au/national/four-freed-after-ultralight-crashes-into-ferris-wheel-20111001-1l2b9.html)

wishiwasupthere
1st Oct 2011, 04:24
Ultralight.........surprise, surprise. :ugh:

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2011, 04:33
One has to wonder about flying over public gatherings with regard to the regulation on such. Just when RAA think all is good and ask for more privileges, someone comes and does something dumb.

Ultralights
1st Oct 2011, 04:36
ultralight.........surprise, surprise :ugh:

Oh here we go again.....:rolleyes:

Jake.f
1st Oct 2011, 04:37
And the problem is a single bad decision by one pilot often gets applied to RAA as a whole... It isn't like everytime there is a GA crash we hear "Oh those bloody useless PPL holders....."

Shrike135
1st Oct 2011, 05:12
'He said the plane "didn't sound right" as it came over'

Engine failure after takeoff?

LeadSled
1st Oct 2011, 05:18
It isn't like everytime there is a GA crash we hear "Oh those bloody useless PPL holders....." True, because on average, they are CPL or higher license holder.

And maybe the blokes flying this aeroplane hold or have held a PPL or higher, like a large percentage of RAA members.

Seriously, now that kosher statistics are becoming available, there is little to separate the accident rates between low end GA and RAA, and the difference is in RAA's favour. Something I put down to the greater currency of many RAA pilots, v. the "average" private pilot (regardless of license held) who apparently does less than 10 hours per year.

Tootle pip!!

Jamair
1st Oct 2011, 05:42
Ahhh, the "Do not use due to soft wet surface" NOTAM..... who needs NOTAMs? :ugh:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/PN681.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/PN684.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/PN682.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/PN683.jpg

Shrike135
1st Oct 2011, 06:23
Fair go, they are PPL's after all

Al Fentanyl
1st Oct 2011, 06:31
To answer the original question Seriously, how would one manage this in an ideal world? - pretty much just as it was managed.

Clear the area of those not involved, negate the fire risk as much as possible, secure the structure, access the victims, triage / treat as required, remove from the site in the safest way manageable.

There may not be a specific management program for this exact event, but the basic principles can be applied to pretty much any incident.

Oh, and then organise a bunch of 'counselling' ..........:rolleyes::yuk:

Avgas172
1st Oct 2011, 06:54
I must say the old Ferris Wheel stood up to it well, 600kg @ 65 Kts is a decent hit, well done to the kids on the wheel, and thanks be to (insert your particular god here) for what is a fantastic outcome. :ok:

YPJT
1st Oct 2011, 07:17
Old Bar is neither certified or registered. No OLS data is published and no NOTAM service would be available. However if the owner was aware of the location of and likely infringement of the ferris wheel on any take off or approach surfaces, some hard questions will need to be answered as to why they allowed their ALA to be used.

Takan Inchovit
1st Oct 2011, 07:40
Ferris wheels, are they the new 'dart board'? :ouch:

ChrisJ800
1st Oct 2011, 08:24
Pilot said he just didnt see the ferris wheel after takeoff and hes taken off from there hundreds of times when there hasnt been a wheel there. Anyway, very lucky to have no injuries.

morno
1st Oct 2011, 08:26
Just saw on the news, they showed a quick image of the strip...... with a white cross on it.

There before they attempted to take off/land maybe?

Capt Fathom
1st Oct 2011, 08:28
Didn't see the ferris wheel

Well we know that, otherwise you would have gone around it!!

Are there any medical or eyesight requirements for a RAA licence?

stevep64
1st Oct 2011, 08:30
"'He said the plane "didn't sound right" as it came over'

Engine failure after takeoff?"

Your average punter isn't used to being right under an ultralight taking off, or at low level, so his idea of not sounding right might differ from ours.

ChrisJ800
1st Oct 2011, 08:43
Ultralight.........surprise, surprise.

Ive never flown an Ultralight but would have thought this accident highlights the benefit of the ultralight/RAA 600kg weight limit (or whatever the limit is). A large GA aircraft would have done considerably more damage to the Wheel with possible ground casualties, which is one of the reasons for the weight limit.

ozaggie
1st Oct 2011, 08:59
With regards to the last post, what a load of unmitigated bullshirt. Reason for weight restriction is 600 so they don't do as much damage when they hit Ferris Wheels. FFS. The weight restriction as I thought is to make them easier to fly, you know, inertia and all that BS. By all outward appearances, this bloke faxed up bigtime. However, I am happy to be availed of the real reason for his embarrassment. Bet the son-in-law will be keen for another fair-ground ride.
OA
I suppose,
The two seat RAA limit is because it's ok to kill one friend, but not three. Spare me please. Next someone will tell me a RAA pilot is not capable of flying a 4 seat Jabiru. The poor bugger clearly effed up.

stevep64
1st Oct 2011, 09:11
I reckon the should ban ferris wheels, they're bloody scarey.
Just saying.

Jabawocky
1st Oct 2011, 09:14
Hey XXX

It was one of those Cheetah machines. They must have the highest prang per plane/mile of any type known to man.

Amazing outcome. I guess the ride operator will be testing out the RAA 3rd party insurance programme. :ooh:

Ultralights
1st Oct 2011, 09:14
How can you not see a ferris wheel? Well, small portable ferris wheel that is usually not there, not the brightest of days, nose high attitude in a climb configuration. And the Morgan Sierra does have quite a longish snout. Unless you already knew it was there I would image it would be quite difficult to see under the nose in the climb out in any aircraft capable of getting in and out of Old Bar.

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2011, 09:17
Medical / eyesight requirement for RAA?

Fit enough to drive a car, same as the new GA medical requirements due shortly.

If there is a white cross on there as suggested then I would expect some serious legal action including Civil and Legal repercussions. If true, there is simply no excuse.

CFPlnr
1st Oct 2011, 09:29
[QUOTE]How can you not see a ferris wheel? Well, small portable ferris wheel that is usually not there, not the brightest of days, nose high attitude in a climb configuration. And the Morgan Sierra does have quite a longish snout./QUOTE]

yep, and typical of RAA training.......get in and go fly..!!...irrespective of what's going on around you. And, a 10 or so knot northeasterly blowing at the time to.

hope the full weight of the law is imposed on the clown

Ultralights
1st Oct 2011, 09:50
Yeah yeah, so typical of RAAus bull****e.... I never knew a certificate or licence could actually be the cause of something.... :rolleyes:

Rumor has it, it was a late go around situation. So nose high, drift off centerline scenario....

No PPL holder would ever do that... :ugh: especially at locations with parallel runways in class D....

ChrisJ800
1st Oct 2011, 09:53
Sorry Ozaggie but one of the reasons for the 600kg limit is to minimise inertia, reducing collateral damage such as if a LSA crashes into a house, though I agree its also to make it easier to fly too. In any event its good fortune that no one was hurt here.

Homesick-Angel
1st Oct 2011, 10:23
"The weight restriction as I thought is to make them easier to fly, you know, inertia and all that BS."

Actually if you care to do some research, you will see that LESS inertia i.e an item with less weight ( and possibly force), will make an object harder to keep stabilized. It will be removed from it's "path" whatever the direction easier requiring more control inputs.Having flown a
number of different aircraft the heavier aircraft in GA are generally easier to fly particularly in bumpy conditions.. Go try it BEFORE you crap on about GAs flying skill supremacy.

About a month ago it looks like a GA pilot continued on into imc conditions killing himself and his 2 pax. Poor decision making if in fact this is what it is not a GA vs RA thing, it is a "we as pilots are responsible for most of the accidents" thing.

Have you read any human factors lately?

Homesick-Angel
1st Oct 2011, 10:27
By the way im still not sure how you could miss a frickn thing of that size?:p

Old Fella
1st Oct 2011, 11:04
Obviously this guy did not really look at what obstructions of a temporary nature had been erected in proximity to the airstrip. The ferris wheel, it seems, may have been erected within the splay. However if the accident pilot had conducted even a cursory over-fly of the field he should have noted the ferris wheel. If, as I understand, the aircraft made a "touch & go" at Old Bar, using 17, he probably just allowed the aircraft to drift off centre-line and into collision with the ferris wheel. Old Bar airfield has been in use for 80 years and has a relatively accident free history. One can only hope that this event will not lead to cries for it to be closed. I look forward to getting home and getting the real story.

ozaggie
1st Oct 2011, 11:10
Exactly why I mentioned inertia. When I transitioned from a Pawnee to a R1340 AirTractor, the only handling comment was 'Watch out for
the inertia letting down into the treatment area'. It was 2 tonne heavier and the initial learning curve was high. I find it hard to believe that part of the risk mitigation for RAA is low weight so it doesn't do much damage when it hits something. That's tantamount to saying the operators are incapable of handling heavier machines. Crap! How many have flown a
Drifter when the noise stops. First reaction forma
GA pilot is to look for the problem rather than stuff the stick into the dash to keep it flying. Weight means nothing. Airmanship is everything. From what I can see, that basic aviatory requirement was missing from this incident.

VH-XXX
1st Oct 2011, 11:11
I wonder if the white X's were there on the runway because of the public event next door?

YPJT
1st Oct 2011, 11:21
Or maybe they were laid out post accident to stop a repeat performance. :E

ozaggie
1st Oct 2011, 11:26
Grow Up!
HSA, you clearly have no idea what I was inferring. I fly both LSA and GA up to 16000 lb auw. I've been at it for 29 yrs and some thousands of hours, so don't tell me to wake up. I don't know everything, I learn everytime I fly. What I know is, the RAA pilot is equally well trained as GA. The aircraft are as capable. It's down to the pilot (rocket surgeon) to sort out the air from the ferris wheel, as it were
OA

VH-Cheer Up
1st Oct 2011, 12:38
From the insurance claim form...

"having cleared the fence at the end of the runway, I then accidentally ran into a Ferris wheel that wasn't there last time I had flown from Old Bar."

The picture reminded me of a fly stuck in a cobweb.

YPJT
1st Oct 2011, 12:40
rocket surgeonI always thought that when making disparaging comments about one's competence the term was either "rocket scientist" or "brain surgeon". Guess I learned something new tonight.:ok:

jas24zzk
1st Oct 2011, 13:46
Rocket Surgeon. (career) Person with can of clagg and a bag of heatproof tiles.

:ugh:

shedman51
1st Oct 2011, 15:16
The pilot said he was going around and with the nose up attitude, did not see the wheel but I would think you would see something different at the end of the runway as you come into the circuit area? A witness said he was not gaining height and thought something might be wrong and he was going around to the left. Perhaps he is a bit solid and always has trouble gaining height? Have you noticed the light pylons on the soccer field? You can't go around and ease to the right of the runway as you normally would.
Alan

jas24zzk
1st Oct 2011, 15:24
Anyone know the approx distance off the end of the runway the wheel was?

shedman51
1st Oct 2011, 15:30
Using Google Earth and the pics on the web, it looks like about 180m and about 45m off the centre line. You would think he would have more height off a go round by then.

Wally Mk2
1st Oct 2011, 23:31
I think most are missing the point here. It's not so much about inertia, weight limit etc although being a 'light' A/C meant less damage as the end result (good Eg of less inertia being helpful was the Ted Rudge DH104 that crashed Sth of EN some years ago into someones backyard, all survived & that was a 4 tonne plane that had a stall speed of 65 kts, A PA31 would have had a diff outcome I reckon) it's more about what led this obviously qualified pilot regardless of his rating end up in this sticky situation? We ALL make mistakes that's human but lets learn from this event without belting each other over the head with a big 'I know better' stick!
As I mentioned in my earlier post the guy obviously didn't see the wheel most likely due a high nose attitude but remove the wheel from the picture here & the A/c would have still been very low over a populated area (the Fair).
All safe that's the main thing:)

Wmk2

Valdiviano
1st Oct 2011, 23:58
Showing off..........
I was there last year and as usual there was one.

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2011, 00:09
Regardless of certificate or licence, plain and simple the pilot is a d-ickhead. Lucky not to have killed himself, his passenger and multiple children and or adults. The kids on the wheel would be absolutely terrified and potentially mentally scarred for life. If the runway was closed or not there is simply no excuse for crashing into a public event, end of story.

This reminds me of the tool that hit the powerline when flying low over the public gathering at Benambra in Ben Buckley territory in his Gazelle. Heard be lost the aircraft, his job, injured his brother in law, may be being sued on multiple fronts and is potentially facing 2 years jail from CASA action.

ChrisJ800
2nd Oct 2011, 00:29
Im still wondering if the reason he was so low is there was a downwind component. I dont have weather for that strip but the main Taree strip was forecasting NW'ly wind (340/10kt) for yesterday morning and seems too early for a seabreeze to kick in. Anyone got any more accurate weather for 10am there?

fencehopper
2nd Oct 2011, 02:37
I haven't been dropping in to this forum for a while as i am continually dissapointed by the ratbag comments that most of you armchair experts spit out.
After arriving home this morning and hearing about this i just had to drop over just to see what you lot have been spewing forth. No dissapointment there.
XXX ... you couldn't wait to get your facts about the incident correct before lashing out could you? but then that's par for the course for you.

Most of the rest of you where pretty close on his tail.

useless bunch of dropkicks.

fencehopper

Shrike135
2nd Oct 2011, 02:45
Don't pick on XXX Fencehopper, he's just going through withdrawal after his failure in standing as a candidate for Board Member of RAAus.

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2011, 03:06
I'm confused Alan, are you posting today as Shrike135 or Wallsofchina?

I CLEARLY said "certificate or licence." Only the guilty justify.

Shrike135
2nd Oct 2011, 03:09
Confused as well

SW3
2nd Oct 2011, 03:25
One thing is for sure if it had been a GA aircraft I bet there'd be no mud slinging of GA pilots from the RAAus fraternity, most likely because they'd be out flying instead of just talking about it.

Homesick-Angel
2nd Oct 2011, 05:13
"XXX ... you couldn't wait to get your facts about the incident correct before lashing out could you? but then that's par for the course for you.

Most of the rest of you where pretty close on his tail.

useless bunch of dropkicks."

Suck it up princess. This is a rumor site. Speculation won't change a thing, and it gives us something else to do to while away time other than scratching our nads waiting for the report. Might even be productive and make one or two of us think about things that may not always be obvious from ABOVE..

Still can't see how you could miss a frickn ferris wheel tho...

Dangly Bits
2nd Oct 2011, 05:38
I have no doubt that this pilot will be facing charges. And a huge bill from the ferris wheel owners and the fair operators.

Smiling and waving at the news camera after being rescued made my blood boil. How dare he put innocent lives in danger and smile and snigger about it. Seeing a fair at the end of the runway should have rung alarm bells!

Go for it RA-Aus and CASA.

SW3
2nd Oct 2011, 06:08
Pilot In Command means you're responsible for the safe conduct of the flight. Basically the buck stops with you. Accidents happen but aviation never suffers fools lightly, whether it be regs or safety. With airmanship comes common sense!

Jake.f
2nd Oct 2011, 06:43
One thing is for sure if it had been a GA aircraft I bet there'd be no mud slinging of GA pilots from the RAAus fraternity, most likely because they'd be out flying instead of just talking about it.

Couldn't of said it better myself. :ok:

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2011, 06:57
From The Age today. Pretty unusual for the ATSB to be involved in an RA-Aus incident and with no fatalities.

Ultralight pilot 'landed too short' (http://www.theage.com.au/national/ultralight-pilot-landed-too-short-20111002-1l3k0.html)

A pilot attempting to land at an airstrip near a NSW fairground clipped a tree before slamming into a ferris wheel, a witness says.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and Recreational Aviation Australia are conducting separate investigations into the ultra-light accident on Saturday morning at the fairground at the township of Old Bar, near Taree.

The two men in the ultralight, aged 53 and 32, and a 9-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl on the ferris wheel all survived the crash uninjured.

The president of the Old Bar Beach Festival, Cozette Leonard, said the pilot attempted a landing that was too short of the nearby airstrip before the plane clipped a tree and hit the ferris wheel shortly before 10am (AEST).

"(The pilot) landed too short, he hit a tree, wobbled, pulled out to sea and that's when he crashed into the ferris wheel," Ms Leonard told AAP on Sunday. "It's just a miracle, it could've been worse."

The Cheetah S200 flew into the ride and became entangled in its metal arms more than 10 metres off the ground.

Ms Leonard said more children could have been on the ride if it wasn't about to rain shortly before the crash.

"We're calling it a miracle - I'm going to change the name of the festival to the Miracle Kombi Festival," she said. "It's just a thought. We're very blessed."

The gathering of Kombi vans, which is part of the festival, was not in the direct path of the landing strip, Ms Leonard said.

The plane was performing a fly-in to mark the 80th anniversary of the Old Bar landing strip near the beach.

An ATSB spokesman said its safety investigators and those from Recreational Aviation Australia, which represents flying clubs, would be conducting separate probes into the crash. "They will probably be doing their own investigation and assisting us with ours as well," he told AAP.
"Normally, our investigations are completed within 12 months."

The ferris wheel was closed on Saturday and was in the process of being dismantled on Sunday morning, Ms Leonard said. WorkCover sent an inspector to the site. The fair was moved indoors to Club Old Bar on Sunday because of the rain.

Chu Mai Huang
2nd Oct 2011, 07:18
Clearly a failed terrorist attack.:eek: Infidels and their beach festivals...

Parapunter
2nd Oct 2011, 07:47
Some people dream of being pilots. Others fail to see the attraction.

balus
2nd Oct 2011, 07:54
charter boat, what charter boat :)

ChrisJ800
2nd Oct 2011, 08:35
I dont know what they're smoking up at the kombi festival but Im sure the pilot already said he was trying to take off. Not sure where the crash while landing stories are still circulating.:rolleyes::confused::eek:

Jeff Gordon OZ
2nd Oct 2011, 08:45
Some of the comments on a fellow pilot in this forum are pretty obnoxious and ignorant and obviously made by people who have never made a mistake themselves :=

As a RAA and GA pilot I know how these comments are viewed by older, highly experienced and often former GA pilots now flying in the Rec Register.. Could these comments be made by bored Gen Y - low hour CPLs twiddling their thumbs waiting to join one of the Big Three.

Considering what so nearly did happen, this was an extraordinary incident, for its lack of injuries and fatalities

let's all count our lucky stars and try to learn from it.

VH-XXX
2nd Oct 2011, 08:50
Sorry ChrisJ, I was actually meant to title that previous post with a comment about the landing versus takeoff comment. That article made front webpage of The Age today so you'd think they would have had the story straight by now!

Horatio Leafblower
2nd Oct 2011, 09:09
Quote:

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Clearly you've never visited AUF-prune :rolleyes:

... the recflying forum, for the pedants :ugh:

Donalduck
2nd Oct 2011, 09:22
"Clearly you've never visited AUF-prune"
Clearly neither have you... not that any such place exists.
I have very rarely (if ever) heard anyone in Ra bashing Aviation (because that is what it is whether Ra or GA... just Aviation) in conversation or online.

SW3
2nd Oct 2011, 09:46
Clearly not, the AUF hasnt existed for years!
For something such as this to occur there has been failure to meet the very regulation barriers there to protect us. That's why there are regs regarding obstacle clearance limits etc. Id like to bet not one of us has ever flown without mistake ever and they do happen, however we must be forever vigilant against Sod as if it can happen it will. Do all that you can to reduce your risk. This applies to all forms of flying, we've all seen pictures such as this but also larger aircraft in ungainly poses for the same reason. This is why CRM and risk management human factors is becoming such a big item.

A37575
2nd Oct 2011, 13:58
This is why CRM and risk management human factors is becoming such a big item.

Weasel words for airmanship. Nothing new but a cottage industry and big bucks for those who write millions of words on the subjects.

nottoospicy
2nd Oct 2011, 14:18
Some people dream of being pilots. Others fail to see the attraction.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jabawocky
2nd Oct 2011, 22:05
Mr Leafblower :ok:

Clearly the couple of posters below you have not joined the dots.

That site is extraordinary to say the least...... AUF-prune :}:}:} That almost gets a POTY award.

Shrike135
2nd Oct 2011, 23:46
He left the "Professional" out of it didn't he. Not like here.

fencehopper
3rd Oct 2011, 00:33
[Don't pick on XXX Fencehopper, he's just going through withdrawal after his failure in standing as a candidate for Board Member of RAAus.]

just like to thank those RAAus members from down there that DID NOT vote for XXX. That sort of mentality we are trying to rid as it is.

Also to add that may put some perspective to some of the dum stupid remarks
how many croppies have been cleaned up by wires trees and fences that they already knew were there? Sometimes cockpit workload just overrides the outside world.
Love
Princess

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2011, 00:59
just like to thank those RAAus members from down there that DID NOT vote for XXX. That sort of mentality we are trying to rid as it is.

So many on here have suggested that the pilot was in the wrong or did the wrong thing including myself and now that comes to a discussion on people voting for me?

You need to let go of whatever it is that you are holding onto.

FYI - there are 41 replies to the thread on AUF-Prune about the Angel Flight that crashed north-west of Melbourne. Pot calling the kettle black I hear?

Shrike135
3rd Oct 2011, 01:54
"AUF-Prune"? That's where you lose your credibility XXX.

Leadsled made a good comment in #19

There's nothing wrong with GA pilots discussing RAAus accidents or vice versa, it is a way of learning lessons and promoting safety.

Just no point in keeping up a continual slagging match using every opportunity.

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2011, 02:24
Ok Wallsofchina/shrike135 whatever floats your boat. So Horatio calls it Auf-prune and I get told I have no credibility. Look closely, I'm not slagging Raaus other than saying that the pilot, regardless of license or certificate is a ********.

It's always the same small few, Wallsofchina/shrike135, fencehopper, locks the moderator and the newly married Duke of Windsor.

Shrike135
3rd Oct 2011, 02:35
What are you rambling about?
Have a look at your very own #82

T28D
3rd Oct 2011, 02:47
Pretty good pseudonym XXX actually descriptive I think !!

VH-XXX
3rd Oct 2011, 02:48
Oh Dear, what a waste of electrons.

I can't take the credit though, credit belongs to Horatio for that one.

Personally I keep right away from it as I'm not a religious person and I've heard from the owner that the site is like a Church-State.

Shrike135
3rd Oct 2011, 06:52
If the site was like a Church-State, you'd be sitting in your own pew, XXX

Antsl
3rd Oct 2011, 12:10
Just a thought... but what is the chance the PIC was not actually flying the plane?

What's the chance he was letting his mate have a fly... his head might have been in the cockpit, busy giving instructions!? How else would an experienced pilot be so short on landing, and then screw up a go-around?

SIUYA
3rd Oct 2011, 23:28
Fencehopper...

how many croppies have been cleaned up by wires trees and fences that they already knew were there?

A few, but really, a ferris wheel is a whole lot more conspicuous than wires or fences I'd have thought. ozaggie was spot-on at post#44:

From what I can see, that basic aviatory requirement was missing from this incident. :D:D

Back to your post Fencehopper...

Sometimes cockpit workload just overrides the outside world.
C'mon - you're kidding us, right? This is a bloody light aircraft for Chrissakes - pilot SHOULD have been looking out the window at that stage of flight and that close to the ground. As ozaggie said at post #47:

It's down to the pilot (rocket surgeon) to sort out the air from the ferris wheel, as it were.

Antsl...

What's the chance he was letting his mate have a fly... his head might have been in the cockpit, busy giving instructions?

Really? I wonder if he was qualified to let his mate have a fly? And if he was then he really fcuked it up, didn't he?

How else would an experienced pilot be so short on landing, and then screw up a go-around?

Sorry, but if the pilot WAS so experienced then I don't think there's a ready answer to that question I'm afraid. In other words, pilot in command of the aircraft SHOULD have been the pilot handling it at that stage and NOT as you suggest, letting '...his 'mate have a fly.'

This event seems to be in the top 10 for the 2011 Darwin Awards. :8 And a Gold for PPRuNe 'Post of the Year' goes to Parapunter:

Some people dream of being pilots. Others fail to see the attraction. :D:D:D:D:D:D

compressor stall
4th Oct 2011, 04:12
What's the MTOW of largest aircraft that in order to remain laterally balanced the PIC needs chips on both shoulders?

T28D
4th Oct 2011, 04:35
600 Kg will do it

Chu Mai Huang
4th Oct 2011, 08:35
Was he three-pointing... or "doing a wheeler"???????:E

JabJockey
4th Oct 2011, 11:29
Wow this forum seems to have a lot of personal attacks. Verrry interesting