PDA

View Full Version : TCAS vs auto-avoidance

s4ex
30th Sep 2011, 14:04
I'm not an expert in aviation, but my investigations showed, that the main technology used in the aircrafts for preventing mid-air collisions is TCAS. It is an advisory system, as I understand, which gives the pilot instructions. Are there any systems, which take control over the aircraft to avoid collision? Why advisory system is preferred over the automated one?

Alber Ratman
30th Sep 2011, 14:44
Because at the end of the day, the Pilot flying must make the decision. It does have its downsides as collisions have occured when the PF has disregarded the TCAS call, but auto systems that give pilots no warning of what is happening are a no no..

flame_bringer
30th Sep 2011, 15:17
From my perspective it would be way safer and better if an auto aviodance system has been implemented which lets the auto pilot take control of the aircraft plus awaring the pilot of whats going on should a collision threat loom, Just like alpha floor protection system and slats alpha lockout system.
I'v heard there have been some pros and cons regarding this issues between the authorities, I hope they close ranks at implementing this system.

mono
30th Sep 2011, 18:08
TCAS input to the autopilot is, I understand, an option on the A380 and will possibly be introduced via SB as an option on other Airbus types.

s4ex
2nd Oct 2011, 14:47
Thanks mono, that's quite interesting. :hmm:

Piltdown Man
3rd Oct 2011, 10:14
Are there any systems, which take control over the aircraft to avoid collision?

Yes, they are called pilots.

PM