PDA

View Full Version : CITYFLYER...

airbus wannabe
10th Mar 2001, 01:18
Hi ya'll. My dad was teeling me about a friend of a friend from work at egkk, that he was flying for city flyer (some branch of BA) as an FO at 19...and at 21 you can become captain. This seems like a good thing to apply for, agree? I have my PPL class 2 med, which is for 5 years, and i am going to finish college (as i got in with my interview today thank god) in two years which is when i am near 19!.
Any suggestions or contacts would be much obliged
Smooth skies
Dan :)

expedite_climb
10th Mar 2001, 03:50
you for real buddy ?

Speedbird252
10th Mar 2001, 04:52
Please tell us how! CF operate ATR`S which would be your first job, and British Airways, like their subsidiaries wont even look at you unless youve got bags of hours under your belt. If your dads mate reckons your could be a first officer at 19 and a Captain at 21 he knows something we dont.

PPL/NIGHT/IMC/IR/MULTI-IR/1500HRS+ TTF?

Thats alot of flying and money!!

Good luck to you if you can do it!

hamster
10th Mar 2001, 05:01
Geez louise, where i'm from this sort of thing is unheard of. only recently in New Zealand has the idustry started hiring again but still the lowest experienced pilot i've heard of has had at least 1000TT and 200+Multi before being interviewed, and thats only for bandits, and metros. If what your mates mates mate says is true then hook me up brother, i'll trade my long hard earned 400hrs and little twin for your road any day. But even i know i'm far from airlnes yet....

Keep trying....

[This message has been edited by hamster (edited 10 March 2001).]

airbus wannabe
10th Mar 2001, 13:18
Hi ya'll. I can understand where you are coming from, about that being rather, errm...'unheard of'. But i am absolutely correct in saying that this FO was on @ 19, with city flyer, yes, flying ATR 72's i believe out of Egkk.
Hope this helps
Smooth skies

expedite_climb
10th Mar 2001, 15:56
Speedbird 252,

The data I don't doubt. Many people (myself included, a few years ago), had / have commercial licences at 19. If you build hours quickly, there is no reason why CFE shouldn't take you on.

As for captain at 21. Why not ? At 700 hrs p.a., you would have enough for ATPL at 21 (the minimum). CFE told me last year I would be looking at a command in 18 months (I had 2000 hrs) if I joined. I was just 22 then.

As I understand it CFE have a RJ training captain who is 25 or 26.

On the other hand, I think airbus wannabe is missing something !

Flap33
10th Mar 2001, 15:56
This is absolutely TRUE. There is at least one person to whom this rumour applies. If you think about it, if you get you CPL at 18, start instructing straight away and get to say 1000 TT. Join CityFlyer at 19 and fly around 500 hours per year (which is roughly what we do - average sector 1hr 15) this will give you 2000 TT. Command requirement at CityFlyer on either ATR or RJ is 2000 TT (with 500 Hrs on Type and at least 3 good base check reports).

Having flown with the person in question I can assure you that this philosophy works.

Hope this settles the debate.

Flap33

Secret Squirrel
10th Mar 2001, 16:35
Absolutely. There is one chap at CFE who is a mere 22 years old whose name is up on the board for command next quarter (on the RJ100). Some of you, especially the Americans and Kiwi's may look shocked at this but the chap in question has an excellent pair of hands and, by all accounts, could easily cope with the rigours of command despite his age. More to the point however, all but 250 of his 2000 hours are commercial hours with CFE. I'd rather have him with me in the flight deck than someone who has got 2000 hrs on cessnas, scraped the 500hrs on type and got a command that way.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't go rushing to the phone if you're a long way from getting your ATPL/IR because soon you will have to apply via the BA system, and then the minimum requirement for command will be 3500 hrs anyway.

Just to clear up a small point, CFE are only recruiting low hour pilots for the ATR and 1000hr pilots for the RJ. Unfortunately, the ATR boys will be left high and dry when the merger takes place and won't get a BA contract.

------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes!

airbus wannabe
10th Mar 2001, 22:39
Many thanks ya'll. Glad this is settled up, i was sure it was all true. Perhaps the user who mentioned that he flies with this lad, could privately email me, as my father may perhaps know you?
Anyway, nice interesting knowledge coming in here, thanks
Smooth skies,

2XL
10th Mar 2001, 23:26
I vaguely remember an ad in Flight last year with CityFlyer looking for direct entry Captains for the RJ. Did this go ahead and are they still looking?