PDA

View Full Version : FAA conversion to JAA

underpaid2011
30th Sep 2011, 06:41
Hi all, I know this is a topic discussed a lot on here and I've been reading the previous posts which are very informative, but I have another question. Once you've done your written exams, where to do the IR and CPL skill exams?

Anyone who has done it, please respond with the name of the school and how much you paid in total. So far I'm looking at schools in Slovenia, Iceland, and the UK (writtens are being done in Gatwick).

Although I understand that flight time will vary between students, I am trying to price my course as precise as possible and like everyone, I want the best deal.
This could be really helpful, so please chime in! When I'm finished and have the license in hand I'll come back here and tell the whole story for the benefit of future converters.

Thanks

zondaracer
30th Sep 2011, 10:06
Check your PMs

Trolle
30th Sep 2011, 23:29
check my post about my experiences.

I found the list of all schools in LASORS and checked their websites if they specifically announced anything about conversion.

I ended up paying about 20 000 pounds for written exams, flights to the UK, 5-10 hours for CPL and 15 hours for IR in a twin, plus approaches, and exam fees.

Gomrath
1st Oct 2011, 00:48
Link to Trolle's writeup http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/464821-faa-jaa-my-experiences.html

zondaracer
1st Oct 2011, 15:45
Trolle´s figure of 20000GBP sounds about right. There are lots of costs with a conversion, they definitely don´t make it cheap, and I was trying to save money everywhere I could.

a little over 4500 GBP for the written exams+ATPL theory course+transportation/lodging

about 4500 GBP for the CPL on a single engine, and this price includes my exam fee of 785 GBP + RT test + transportation and lodging

8000€ for multiengine IR in Spain, all fees included including testing fees, transportation, landing and approach fees

a little over 400 GBP for license issue (single engine and multi engine + MEIR + RT), and yes they charge for this.

and then the initial medical cost me a small fortune

2500€ for MCC including transportation and lodging (I went for the least expensive out there)

Going from FAA to JAA, you realize that you take a lot of things for granted back in the FAA world.

Transsonic2000
3rd Oct 2011, 23:07
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/462039-conversion-canadian-cpl-ir-jaa-cheapest-place.html#post6667846