PDA

View Full Version : COMMENT OF THE WEEK

BEagle
29th Sep 2011, 07:37
We all know that most Spams haven't a clue about much outside UrrMerka, but I thought this statment from General R E Johns, commander of Air Mobility Command showed astonishing ignorance:

"I never knew there were volcanoes in Iceland"

:rolleyes:

pasptoo
29th Sep 2011, 08:21
i'd be surprised if he knew WHERE Iceland was! :}

charliegolf
29th Sep 2011, 08:26
i'd be surprised if he knew WHERE Iceland was!

Staggering! They're on every highstreet (and very good value too).

CG

Whenurhappy
29th Sep 2011, 08:45
Before it's independence, wasn't that that country called Beejams?

charliegolf
29th Sep 2011, 08:58
Yes, but because inflation was lower then, there was only one 'e'.:ok:

CG

teeteringhead
29th Sep 2011, 09:23
I thought it was rather more a case of Iceland being in volcanoes.....

cazatou
29th Sep 2011, 09:54
I doubt that the General has ever heard of Leif Ericsson - the Icelandic Chap who discovered America.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Sep 2011, 10:34
Bio here,
Biographies : GENERAL RAYMOND E. JOHNS JR. (http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5950)

He's a test pilot.

His career has taken him across the WHOLE US of A.;)
Overseas experience was a year guarding the shredder in US HQ Stuttgart.

He can probably do loops in a Starlifter, but I doubt he's ever moved so much as a box of MREs from A to B.:E

charliegolf
29th Sep 2011, 10:42
Do they still do that thing at OASC where they ask you to identify obscure countries on an unmarked map (in Biggles' case, Canada!)?

CG

Roadster280
29th Sep 2011, 12:45
Before it's independence, wasn't that that country called Beejams?

No, it's always been called Iceland. Iceland did however annex a company called Bejam which was much bigger than Iceland at the time.

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2011, 13:28
I've seen some strange things in Iceland.

I've even seen a sausage roll.

But it's mainly frequented by chav women in huge stretch pants!

Capetonian
29th Sep 2011, 14:18
A routes director for SAA with whom I had a meeting told me that he and his family went to Hawaii every year on holiday because 'we like that part of the Caribbean'.

2Planks
29th Sep 2011, 14:26
2P to lady on confirmation line at United Airlines: I'd like to confirm my flights from Inyokern to LAX please.
Attendant: Sir - you need international confirmations for that.
2P: Where do you think Inyokern is?
Attendant: Its in Japan Sir.
2P: Well I'm 2 miles from it, and I'm in California!
Attendant: Oh, in that case......

Epiphany
29th Sep 2011, 15:20
Sitting in a cafe in the Deep South with an American colleague when the waitress arrives to take our order. Noticing my accent she asks where I am from. "The UK" I reply to which she said "You speak very good English". She then asks my colleague where he is from and he mentions a very large town in a Mid-West State. Her face is a blank so he helpfully names the State - still blank.

MrBernoulli
29th Sep 2011, 15:22
A high-school colleague I knew spent a year on a student exchange program in Montana. This was way back in 1976. He learned a lot, made some good friends and had an all round good time. His one eye-opening moment occurred in a Geography lesson at the school - having spent a lot of time learning about Montana and it's surrounding states, he asked the teacher when the syllabus would move on to other parts of the world. The reply was, "It is the duty of the rest of the world to learn about the USA, not the other way round". That was when he knew there was a problem!

DC10RealMan
29th Sep 2011, 15:40
My French sister-in-law lives in Texas and one day in a store was asked where she was from
"Paris" she replies
"Where in Mexico is that?" replies the storekeeper

Pontius Navigator
29th Sep 2011, 16:06
Talking to a hairdresser one year, when I had hair, she said she was going on holiday to Finland. She hoped it was hot. I asked if she knew where it was. Mediterranean?

ACW599
29th Sep 2011, 16:39
Self in restaurant on Long Island last year:

Waitress: "Where are you from?"
Me: "Oh, a small town near the Welsh border in central England."
Waitress "Wow. You sure speak English good."
Me: "Well, I'm English. I'm from England. It's my native language."
Waitress "Oh yeah I guess. You sure don't sound like an American. Is England near Wales, and is that the same as Scotland?"
Me: "Gosh, is that the time? I'd better go".

Wwyvern
29th Sep 2011, 16:39
A colleague in our USA-based aviation safety auditing company worked and lived in South Africa, but banked in Jersey for convenience. He was a UK citizen. His salary was not paid for a couple of months. Our accounts department couldn't find his bank in New Jersey.

I told the boss I was taking a holiday in Mauritius. He asked where that was. When I told him, he said, "Oh, a bit like Hawaii, then."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Sep 2011, 16:43
It is a function of being "top dog" nation.

The British Foreign Secretary, as late as 1910, could not see the point in going abroad.

The Roman Emperor had foreign leaders brought to him, in chains.

Sun Who
29th Sep 2011, 16:45
Early December some years ago, I'm standing in line for the checkout at the Aviano BX, listening to:

Female USAF Lt pilot to check out girl: "Ma'am, what time do you stay open to on Xmas Eve?"
Check out girl: "I'm sorry ma'am, we're closed Xmas Eve until the 28th."
Female pilot: "Oh, where am I going to get my groceries?"
Check out girl: "You can use the shop in the village, they're open until 1000hrs on Xmas Eve."
Female pilot: "There's a shop in the village? I've been here 18 months and didn't know we were allowed to shop off-base."

True story folks.

:ugh:

Rossian
29th Sep 2011, 17:11
....whilst on a short computer course. Woman pitches up after not attending for about three weeks.
Me: "Hello, been on hols?"
Her "Yes"
"Where did you go? Nice?"
"Spain -er I think"
"Well was it Spain?"
"I don't really know"
"OK how did it happen"

Long story short. Booked with local travel agent. Bus to ABZ airport met by rep. Taken through checkin and to the gate. Gets on jet flies for 4 hours-ish gets off and is met by rep. Put on bus number 17 and taken to resort. Has two weeks on beach in sun. Goes through procedure in reverse. Gets home.

"Did you go out at all?" No to that.
"What was the food like?" Burgers pizzas beer.

I finally worked out that it was probably Ibiza, possibly.
How can anyone be so incurious about the world we live in?

The Ancient Mariner

>
>
>
>
>
Final irony.
>
>
>
She was doing the course as a stepping stone to becoming an adult education tutor!

Tankertrashnav
29th Sep 2011, 17:18
Chatting to a bloke at the petrol station the other day.

Chap "Well that's it, goodbye Cornwall, I'm off to Lincolnshire to start a new job tomorrow"

Me "Oh yes, where's that then?" (I suppose I could have phrased it better, I meant where in Lincs).

Chap (helpfully) "It's just underneath Yorkshire"

FODPlod
29th Sep 2011, 17:22
What was that famous headline about the Continent being isolated by fog?

Pontius Navigator
29th Sep 2011, 17:35
Sun Who, Mrs PN in US Army base at Vicenza. Asks female in civvies if the Burger King took Lira. "I don't know," she said, "they have Italians in there so I don't go in."

Ramstein, en route US-UK, a US Major, also in transit, wanted to use the telephone. Curiously it only took DM. Even though Germany had not been on my route I was able to give him change. The Spam in movements didn't have any funny money on him.

Curious isn't it; any UK base anywhere uses local currency.

Capetonian
29th Sep 2011, 18:00
Me in CPT phoning SGLBBTEEGF (seriously good looking blonde big titted ex ex girlfriend) in Birmingham on Christmas Day : "Happy Christmas"

SGLBBTEEGF : "Happy Christmas, what are you doing?"

Me : "Well, it's about 90'F and we're all sitting around the pool having a barbecue (no point in saying braai!)"

SGLBBTEEGF : "Oh, so it's not Christmas there then?"

Me : "Of course it is, 25th. December."

SGLBBTEEGF : "But you only get Christmas is in winter, so it must be July there if it's hot."

You have to imagine the SGLBBTEEGF's bits being said in a broad Brummy accent, which tends to make people sound stupid even when they're not - but she was!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Sep 2011, 18:00
We had several large, full (one was a DC-9) US aircraft arrive for an anniversary weekend on our Squadron (in the UK, including off-base trips). One was an ex-Senator. They ALL brought dollars. I was i/c hosting.

Where can you get several thousand quid at 20 minutes notice, late on a Friday at an RAF station in the middle of the countryside?:cool:

I ran a foreign exchange service out of a kitbag in the corner of the hanger; mess copy of the Torygraph providing exchange rate (before the Interweb thingy). Visitors happy, so the Boss asked no questions.

noprobs
29th Sep 2011, 18:23
It doesn't only happen over there. I was at a memorial service earlier this year, walking along the road and wearing my No 1 uniform. An English woman appeared at my shoulder saying loudly "G'day mate" in a poor Australian accent. I said hello, and she replied "You're from Australia, aren't you?" I explained that I was not. "Well who is, then?" I pointed out the officer in a different blue uniform, but with the word Australia on the shoulders. So she approached the Australian representative from their embassy's military staff with her embarrassing best from Neighbours, followed by "Where have you come from?" When he said London, she actually asked "Is that in New South Wales?"

But then again, years ago I went from Guetersloh to a meeting in Heidelberg. Seeking the most expeditious and efficient means of getting there, and noting that there was a nearby military airfield with a small runway, I asked Ops to trying booking a movement in to there. It was accepted, so off I went. It proved to be a tight approach over the edge of the town, which caused an immediate flurry of noise complaints. As I taxied in, I was surprised to see an officer running alongside, shaking his fist at me. This turned out to be the base commander, a US Army major. As I got out, he made it clear that they did not accept jet aircraft. "What the hell is this, anyway?" "A Harrier, as on the flight plan." "Who operates this type?" "The Royal Air Force." "Which Royal Air Force?" "The British Royal Air Force." "You flew in from Britain?" He had no idea that we had bases in Germany. "So, what kind of rank is that you're wearing?" "I am a Squadron Leader." "Oh, okay, sir, you'd better go wait in the VIP lounge while I sort this out and get you some transport.":ugh:

Roadster280
29th Sep 2011, 19:09
Maybe the major was just several years ahead. There are, after all, no RAF bases in Germany. No Harriers ether, for that matter.

I wonder if the current mantra of "no money" has anything to do with junior officers expending fast jet hours as taxis because they didn't fancy the drive?

BEagle
29th Sep 2011, 19:12
Chum chatting to a local Spam blonde at the Ramada Inn, Bellevue (that well known V-force haunt). When she asked whence he came, he told her 'Lincoln'.

"Lincoln, Nebraska?"

"No, Lincoln England!"

"Gee - d'ya think they named it after our president?"

:rolleyes:

Still, he did at least DCO later!

ex-fast-jets
29th Sep 2011, 19:20
Keep it going!!

Pontius Navigator
29th Sep 2011, 19:26
Ramada Inn, Bellevue (that well known V-force haunt).

That must have been when they started to pay for the hotac and gave you drinking chits.

We just got the drinking chits. Used to stay in the VOQ where the skipper had the priviledge of a single room but at the cost of an additional 2 DCs per day. One copilot, to maximise the drinking chits, took a pup tent. Went down a bomb with the one and two stars there. Thereafter we used the motel and road house across the road. IIRC the road house sold pitchers of beer and you could get 4 pitchers for 3 DCs - 16 pints weren't bad.

I have long held the view that the majority of pax checkin to LGW or wherever, walk for miles, go down a tunnel, sit in a tube for hours, get out, down some steps feel the heat/wet/cold and have no idea where in the world they really are.

PS, having been in the 10 that flew over Greenland the same might be said of some navs and some pilots.

Lord Spandex Masher
29th Sep 2011, 19:29
Standing on the tarmac in Faro enjoying a few minutes of sun.

Is Faro in Egypt?

Said by cute hostie so who cares.

Bevo
29th Sep 2011, 19:45
Yep, we sure are an ignorant people. One has to wonder how we have survived all these years without the expert guidance from our UK brethren, especially in military matters. Thanks for letting me listen in to this enlightened discussion as I have learned much about folks from your part of the world.

BEagle
29th Sep 2011, 19:46
The idiot who took the pup tent was the infamous Caligula of later years, was he not?

FunBus crew chatting up the locals at some air show or other....

"Gee, you came all the way from Canada just for our air show?"

"No, Great Britain, actually"

"Is that in Canada?"

:hmm:

A brace of co-piglets once got themselves 'chased outta town' after setting up the following conversation:

"What do you call someone who's stupid?"

"Dumb"

"What do you call 2 people who are stupid?"

"Dumb...dumb"

"What do you call a whole nation of stupid people?"

"Dumb dumb dumb, dumb dumb.....

When played at a dining-in night to honour some Spam exchange officer, it's normally followed by a JP yelling "Plaaaaaaaaaaay Ball" after the glasses are returned to the table....;)

If any Spams are upset by this, remember it was done in a light-hearted manner.

Brian 48nav
29th Sep 2011, 20:02
But just some do have our SOH - I can remember one day at LHR being called on GMP (Clearance Delivery ) by a TWA pilot, ' Hey London, this is TWA XXX, request start for the colonies'.

Brian 48nav
29th Sep 2011, 20:13
Thought of a couple more!

USAF exchange captain on 47Sqn at Fairford; co-pilot night training, Co looks across at Captain, Major J J Smith who is busy scribbling.

JJ ' Don't worry Garth, I'm writing a letter to my mother'.

'Dear Mother, what a bumsh1t of a co-pilot I'm flying with!'.

Another 'JJ' story, 47 crew arrive at Lajes for a night stop and share transport with a Lyneham 36 Sqn crew to the accommodation.

Bus arrives at NCOs' billets, JJ shouts 'OK enlisted sh1t, get out here' - went down like a lead balloon with the 36 crew!

Pontius Navigator
29th Sep 2011, 20:48
Bevo, it's true. However one has to admit you are super sharp with the quip.

Landing at Goose, 11,000 feet, the skipper decided to deploy the drag chute. It popped out of the compartment and flopped on the runway without deploying:

"Hey Limey, your bird just crapped on my runway."

You could never have pre-scripted that!

L J R
29th Sep 2011, 21:03
"So you live in Sydney? - Is that near London?"

.....no need to tell you the nationality of the individual asking the Question.

FantomZorbin
29th Sep 2011, 21:24
PN

Was the captain a rather notorious Gp Capt from Robin Hood International?

monkeymanagement
30th Sep 2011, 00:57
I LOVE the 4th of July! The day never fails to amuse me. Working in the colonies for the past 3 years - on said Independence Day, cue our cousins with the "Have a Happy 4th" salutation. The winner was the Class 6 checkout woman:

"Have a Happy 4th."
"I'm British."
"Don't you celebrate the 4th."
Cue the USAF colonel behind me to double up choking back tears of laughter.

Made worse on 2 fronts. 1. I have the Union Flag on my uniform and 2. For those that know me, my surname (on patch) gives the nationality away somewhat. MM

(It's not all ignorance across the pond though. One of my students, some time ago, mentioned that they'd been to Greenwich and visited the brass meridian line. It was great, "Jumped back and forth across it shouting 'north', 'south'. Fortunately this comment was in a full crew room.....:D)

Pontius Navigator
30th Sep 2011, 07:16
FZ, no a rather more ********** character and god fun to be with. I believe he was chucked out with diabetes and last I heard still living not too far from Cottesmore.

ShyTorque
30th Sep 2011, 07:25
Yep, we sure are an ignorant people. One has to wonder how we have survived all these years without the expert guidance from our UK brethren, especially in military matters. Thanks for letting me listen in to this enlightened discussion as I have learned much about folks from your part of the world.

Woohoo! An ironic yank.....it's another first on PPRuNe! :ok:

DC10RealMan
30th Sep 2011, 08:03
It was my Grandfathers proud boast that he had spent all his life in England and had never been abroad. In later life he admitted that he had been abroad once and that was to the Somme, France in the summer of 1916.

"I did not like it very much" was his observation.

Barksdale Boy
30th Sep 2011, 08:24
Beags, he of whom you have spoken many times in fact pitched his tent on base on the grass between the two wings of the Offut Inn (of blessed memory).

taxydual
30th Sep 2011, 09:02
Lossie, years ago.

F-111 crew (Lt Col and Major) up to recce Tain Range. Theirs was being be-bombed, or whatever.

I, being 'new boy', joed into hosting team.

After visits etc, we would meet up in the Mess for drinkies and dinner.

Brussel Sprouts on the menu.

Lt Col to me, after tasting one, "Say Taxydoooal, what are these?"

"Erm, rather like small cabbages, Colonel" says I

"Hmm, can we not bomb the Brussel Sprout fields instead" A cracking comment from the Colonel

Four Types
30th Sep 2011, 16:14
WRT to Iceland. I was told just prior to my first ever trip to Iceland ( at the tender age of 22) that there was a naked woman behind every tree......As we approached Keflavik I gazed hopefully out of the window.....Not a bl***y tree in sight!!

1.3VStall
30th Sep 2011, 17:13
Some years ago I worked in sales & marketing for an overseas company. They hired in a spam as the new sales & marketing director. On his first visit to the UK we were driving up the M6 on the way to visit an airline at MAN.

Observing a road sign he says to me "What's with this Wales thing - it's part of England, right?". So I explained in simple terms a bit of British history. This prompted the question "So why isn't the Queen of England the Queen of Wales as well?".

So I explained a little more about composition of the United Kingdom and told him that the Queen was indeed monarch of all the consituent parts. This elicted "So why don't you rename it the United Queendom?".

Grrrr!

diginagain
30th Sep 2011, 17:20
US Army attached officer and I were wending our way up country after a flying visit to Yeovil. He decided he wanted to talk to the good people at Staverton for some reason. After frowning at the map for a moment, then checking the En-route, he pressed the tit;

"Glow-glou-glouu-gloocherstersheere, er, oh f**k it".

He didn't trouble the airwaves for the remainder of the trip.

wub
30th Sep 2011, 18:32
A loud American voice overheard on the deck of a cruise ship sailing out of Hong Kong:

"Well I have to say, their Chinatown isn't as good as the one in LA"

Pontius Navigator
30th Sep 2011, 20:16
BB, that clinches it so it must have been he.

Up until that time we had enjoyed the hospitality of the O-club and on one extended visit, over 3 weeks IIRC, I had to visit the BOQ to scrounge some shoe polish :)

After that we stayed in these flee-pit apartments across the expressway.

Ogre
30th Sep 2011, 23:14
I was recently asked by a very nice Australian government employee to explain a comment I had made on some official paperwork. I explained that I had served in the Royal Air Force, to which I got the reply "which Royal Air Force?" With more than a little pride in my voice I replied "There is only one RAF", thinking that was the end of it. "Ah yes," she replied, " but many countries have royal families, and each of them has a 'Royal' air force". "Correct", I countered, "but they also have the country name in the title, such as Royal Canadian, or Royal Norwegian, or in your case Royal Australian....".
The next response was "Well how are we supposed to know which it is", admittedly in a very pleasant but weary tone, so I took the piece of paper back and added "UK"

D-IFF_ident
1st Oct 2011, 07:17
Before leaving an exchange post in the USA some years ago, I dictated my forwarding address to the helpful lady at the local bank.

I suspect my statements are still being delivered to 'RAF Brize Norton in the Ukraine'.

Capetonian
1st Oct 2011, 07:22
Crossing the border from South Africa into the then 'independent' homeland of the Transkei, the Transkei border official carefully transcribed the details of my passport (I was travelling on a UK passport) into their book, which ironically was a 'Bantu Population Register'. After painstakingly slowly and neatly writing 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' he asked me what country it was. I pointed to what he'd written and said that was the country. He looked it for 5 minutes and then said : "Your country is Ireland."

I just agreed. Later I found out that the Irish needed visas for the Transkei in those days!

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2011, 07:45
A young and keen Midshipman A_A had made his way to to top of the Rock on a day when there was also a cruise ship berthed in the harbour below.

An American couple in their sixties wheezed into view and took in the scene. Facing South, Ethel turned to Elmer and said:

"Gee Elmer, what's that big island over there?"

Brain Potter
1st Oct 2011, 12:45

Bevo,

You have to understand that, over the last 100 years, we British have seen our national wealth, military power and political influence eroded to nothing. All that we have left is our superiority complex.

In the words of Peter Cook, impersonating Prime Minister Harold Macmillan recounting a summit meeting with President Kennedy:

"We talked of many things, including Great Britain's position in the world as some kind of honest broker. I agreed with him when he said no nation could be more honest, and he agreed with me when I chaffed him and said no nation could be broker."

I urge you to embrace the British characteristic of laughing at ourselves. After all, you are missing-out on such terribly good material.

Pitts2112
1st Oct 2011, 12:46
Standing at the counter in an American shop, having just moved back to my native land after a brief stint living in Brazil. As I was paying for my items with cash, a Brazilian 20 Real note fell out of my wallet onto the counter.

Clerk: "Oh, what kind of money is that?"
Me: "That's 20 Reals, from Brazil."
Clerk: "Oh, they haven't joined the Euro, then?"

Actually, I was surprised she knew about the Euro.

Another one told to me by a British secretary at RAF Mildenhall when I was there, mid-90s. She and a few of the other ladies of the squadron took an NCO's wife out shopping in Bury St. Edmunds on the woman's last weekend of a four year tour. It was the farthest she had ever been away from the base and the only time she'd ever been shopping off base. In FOUR years!!! (For those without local knowledge, Bury is about 15 miles from the base. London is only an hour away)

RedhillPhil
1st Oct 2011, 13:09
Dunno if this is self-deprecating similar but..yesterday driving south from Liverpule as I approached one of those mobile matrix signs that sprout up next to motorways from time to time I remarked to my passenger that to put up a sign that states " M6 toll smiles" seemed a bit peculiar. It was, until he pointed out that it actually said M6 toll 5 miles.
Note to self, Specsavers on Monday!

Bevo
1st Oct 2011, 14:07
Brain Potter
I urge you to embrace the British characteristic of laughing at ourselves. After all, you are missing-out on such terribly good material. Brian,

I’m sure you are correct although I haven’t seen much laughing at yourselves in these threads. Probably just a reaction to me having always been sensitive to not being perceived as an “ugly American”.

In May the wife and I toured Ireland for a couple of weeks. I can see from our visit to Northern Ireland how the English persona might be perceived differently there. We then spent a week visiting my wife’s family in East Anglia and stayed with friends (a retired dentist) living in Bury St Edmunds. Had lots of interesting discussions with the dentist friend on the state of the UK.

Of course I tend to wonder about the term “United” in United Kingdom as evidenced by my tour of Ireland and then I ponder the view of the Scottish when I read this thread.:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/465147-did-anyone-catch-score-scotland-match.html

phil9560
1st Oct 2011, 16:18
bevo rest assured I find much to laugh at in both my countrymen and myself !:)

Pontius Navigator
1st Oct 2011, 17:07
Bevo, this Jock baiting etc is all part of the game.

The Army is well known for fighting. In the case of lack of an enemy they will fight people from another regiment - battalion - company - platoon or whoever. The same applies to fans of soccer fans, especially for two teams divided often on religious grounds from the same town or adjacent towns.

Woe betide any foreigner that tries to intervene.

Now of course in the US you never have any inter-service rivalry? Or inter-racial? Or inter-state? Or inter-university? As you are United . . .

BEagle
1st Oct 2011, 17:28
Then there's the "Gee, I love your accent!" thing. Which, to be fair, one can use to one's advantage as many a Vulcanologist will know only too well....:E

Spams can be a bit....direct in bars. I recall being at Barksdale Officers' Club about a million years ago. The barman was a wonderful old black guy called Charles, who everyone in SAC must have come across at one time or another. A true gent and someone who fully met the 'dignity of service' ethos which was once the hallmark of many who were proud to work in the service industry.

One Happy Hour, some chisel-featured LeMay wannabee went up to the bar and yelled "Hey, gimme a CC - rocks". Which meant a Canadian Club whisky on ice.

Charles (whose accent was normally impeccable) went into an 'Uncle Tom' mode... "Yes,m boss, I just dealin' wi'd dese gennl'men, den dese poor old hands be servin' ya'll jus' as quick as dey can" Upon which he turned to us and asked what we'd like "Thank you, Mr Charles, but could we please have another 2 jugs of your finest ale, if you would be so kind?" "It would be my pleasure, gentlemen", he replied.

After both we and the ignorant Spam had been served, Charles confided "Ignorant young a$$hole, hasn't he heard that slavery has ended?"

Anyone know whether old Charles is still alive? I hope that he's having a long and happy retirement.

con-pilot
1st Oct 2011, 17:55
"Have a Happy 4th."
"I'm British."

I'm a bit surprised you don't celebrate the 4th of July. After all, that is when rationing ended after World War Two in Great Britain, on 4 July, 1954. :p

Union Jack
1st Oct 2011, 18:10
"Have a Happy 4th."
"I'm British."

Of course we do - but we call it Thanksgiving!:E

Jack

con-pilot
1st Oct 2011, 18:21
Of course we do - but we call it Thanksgiving!

That's great. :p :ok:

Willard Whyte
1st Oct 2011, 19:25
1997: Comp A, Mount Pleasant to MonteV

NOTAM pack arrived from Lyneham Ops, it included those for the Cairo FIR.

Well, the ICAO for MPA was EGYP...

Fareastdriver
1st Oct 2011, 20:31
A place called Shehou is a ferry ride away from Hong Kong. The was a patch of houses that where the families of the US oil personnel lived. They had a supermarket for basics in much the same way as the USA plus delicatessants loaded with genuine American produce. To keep themselves and the kids equipped they would take the ferry to Hong Kong and purchase everything there.
Just down the road was Shekou town where you could buy any kind of food (Never did see Brussel sprouts) for peanuts. Any clothing of any brand was available at ridiculous prices. Venturing further, about 3 kilometers would bring you to Nantou which was awash with high class malls with everything including Gucci and Burberry.

"Don't go there, they don't speak American."

Epiphany
1st Oct 2011, 21:15
Not to mention the "bad guys" waiting to scare them.

monkeymanagement
4th Oct 2011, 00:03
"Hello dental centre (USAF) experts. I was in here last week for a filling and the chap from Marathon Man suggested that I may need root canal treatment if his efforts failed."

(blank stares re Marathon Man ref)

"I have toothache, permanently."

"Would you like an appointment to see a dentist?"

"No, no, I just popped in to find out which tooth was playing up and then smash it out with a chisel and mallet."

(silence ...... what have they heard re Brit dentistry?)

MM

They're going to replace the anaesthetic with H20 tomorrow... bugger.

jwcook
4th Oct 2011, 10:57
"Have a Happy 4th."
"I'm British."

If your speaking to those inhabitants of that country to the south of Canada who's name escapes me, you should tell them the British celebrate the 24th August 1814.:E

After all it is the reason why the White house is painted white!!:ok: