PDA

View Full Version : The EK probationary period

EY763ER
28th Sep 2011, 13:57
Hoping some of you at EK would shed some light on the 6 month probationary period. After having been through the lengthy interview process, having successfully gotten through the 4-5 days of it; what are the main reasons for pilots not having made it through the probationary period?

I assume there are very very few who are removed during the probationary period, however, my question is for those in the know, as to why pilots in the past have been sent packing during these six months?

Many thanks.

SOPS
28th Sep 2011, 13:59
At a guess..not passing the training:(

EY763ER
28th Sep 2011, 14:10
Well, I would have thought that the calibre of pilots joining EK (according to EK requirements have jet time, and quite a bit of jet time, between 2000-2500 hours of infact), also, the interviewees go through the sim ride on a B777 or A330/310, references are checked, logbooks verified, so I would have thought that training would not be such a hurdle for the pilots......They are not exactly ab initio cadets....

Sure, there will always be a small percentage of chaps who get through the whole interview filtering process who shouldn't have I guess, so is the probationary period there for that reason?

Rich8a10
28th Sep 2011, 14:24
When I started my 777 course one guy told us during ground school "stadistics say that 1 of you will not make it"
We were 10 in the group and the 10 of us make it so im imaging they just tell you crap like that to scare you, but its not that bad, you just have to get used to the looong joining process.

EY763ER
28th Sep 2011, 14:51
agreed that the training period is lengthy and could be a bit pedantic, however, as far as the type rating is concerned and the line training, i assume its all pretty normal for someone with any other boeing or airbus rating/training/experience right??

Laker
28th Sep 2011, 15:11
They told us that 99% get through training. Some struggle more than others but as long as you work hard and demonstrate a good attitude you will be fine. Come to each session prepared and don't worry. That being said, as a previous poster stated, ek training can be very pedantic.

gcc_
28th Sep 2011, 15:25
The TR and training process is very straight forward, and nothing anyone I know, or have heard of, has had problems with, or not gone through.

I now work in QR, and over here where people complain about all the set of strict rules, nobody fails the TR process.

Good attitude, gi prepared, you will be fine.
Good luck :ok:

Paraffin Budgie
9th Oct 2011, 12:24
Not quite the same thing, maybe, but most if not all labour contracts in the UAE call for a probationary period. I believe that it's part of the Labour Law.