PDA

View Full Version : EK to Dallas and Seattle?

SOPS
28th Sep 2011, 10:24
Bllomberg TV just reporting that TC has announced flights to Dallas and Seattle. Anyone know more?

Edit....just answered my own question

Emirates Adds Seattle, Dallas Flights in U.S. Challenge - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-28/emirates-ceo-clark-ratchets-up-u-s-challenge-with-seattle-dallas-flights.html)

CAYNINE
28th Sep 2011, 11:19
Awesome.... now Vancouver visitors and residents can fill it up! :ok:

Left Coaster
28th Sep 2011, 14:06
Yup...way to go Harper! (and your AC stooges...) now all those Canadian $$$ flow south across the border...again...

Swan Man
28th Sep 2011, 15:54
Stand firm Canada, don't let the bastards in. Once you let them in you will never be able to get rid of them and we all know how they treat employees.

Dropp the Pilot
29th Sep 2011, 03:09
It will be interesting to see if the current rostering restriction is dropped. As you know, for the last 14 years all the fiendishly difficult B777 flights from Seattle to Dubai were crewed exclusively by persons whose name began with "Al" and occasionally by the tennis partners of those whose names began with "Al".

Do you think the rest of us may get a go after March?

Iver
29th Sep 2011, 03:25
Swan Man,

Just admit it, AC has a craaaap product in comparions to EK's (especially the A380 product). Too bad Canadians have to suffer with bad connections and inconvenience to get to many of their desired destinations in the ME, India and the rest of South Asia... AC obviously can't compete!

Machspeed
29th Sep 2011, 05:01
:ok:
By Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Tim Clark, president of Middle Eastern airline giant Emirates, has lavish expansion plans that should help both Boeing and the Pacific Northwest region to grow.

With Emirates already the largest operator of big 777 widebodies in the world, he'll visit Seattle on Monday to meet with Lars Andersen, Boeing's head of 777 advanced development. Clark is working closely with Andersen on Boeing's key project to design an updated 777.

Although Boeing has its hands full right now, Clark is pushing the company for a 777 revamp no later than 2018. He's demanding a 777 that will carry more passengers, fly farther and be 10 to 15 percent cheaper to operate.

"That's the task we set them," Clark said "And my goodness, they are moving on this."

As for the region, Emirates will soon fly 777s in and out of Seattle daily. In a phone interview Wednesday, Clark said the newly announced service from SeaTac to Dubai, starting March 1, will open up the city to the Middle East, Africa, India and other parts of Asia.

"We'll open the door," Clark said. "People will see what we are doing and move with us."

Boeing intends to bump up production of the 777, its most lucrative widebody program, to an unprecedented 100 jets per year by early 2013.

Airbus has no rival to the 777 but is preparing one — the mostly composite A350-1000. At the Paris Air Show in June, Airbus announced a two-year delay in that program until 2017 to give Rolls-Royce time to develop a new, bigger engine to power its jet.

That gives Boeing a little more time, too. But Clark said his older 777s will be retired in 2017 and he wants Boeing's upgraded version to replace them.

The 777 revamp will likely include a new 787-style carbon fiber-reinforced plastic composite wing that will save weight, Clark said.

"If they can get a ton or two out of the wing by going with composites, this is something they really ought to be getting on with," he said. "The industry is very, very hungry for technological advances to improve the cost of operation, particularly in fuel."

Happily for Boeing, Clark wasn't happy with Airbus' A350-1000 announcement in Paris, which he said was done without consulting him in advance.

He said Rolls is making a presentation on its proposed new engine for the Airbus jet to his engineers in Dubai on Thursday. But he's doubtful the latest design will be powerful enough for such a big airplane in the very hot temperatures and low-pressure conditions of Dubai in the summer.

Nevertheless, Clark said both Boeing and Airbus will emerge from all their current struggles with new airplanes with technology that greatly advances aviation.

Clark won't be ordering Boeing's newest widebody jet, the freshly delivered 787 Dreamliner, which is too small for his needs. But because its new technologies will transfer to the 777, he's paying close attention to its introduction into service.

Clark said the Japanese domestic routes will be a tough test, with short, full flights into busy airports where luggage carts and food carts will bang into the airplane. How will the composite skin and all the new airplane systems hold up?

"Everybody, including Boeing, is watching that with a magnifying glass," he said. "They'll learn from all of that. Everything will be plowed back into design and development at Boeing."

In the end, he said, the Dreamliner will be a great airplane. Looking back in 10 years, Boeing will conclude that, "Yes, it took a lot of pain; but now we have the platforms of technology on which we can do other things," Clark said.

And by then, Emirates could be much bigger than it is now, dominating the airlines of the world.

The U.S. expansion announced Wednesday, with new flights from Dubai to both Seattle and Dallas, comes as the world economy teeters on the brink of recession.

"It's not a good time," Clark admitted, "but when is?"

He said Emirates will take delivery of 52 widebody jets in the next 20 months — 777s from Boeing and A380 double-decker, superjumbos from Airbus — and "come hell or high water, nothing is going to stop us bringing those airplanes in."

London-based veteran airline consultant John Strickland said Seattle's gain is Vancouver's loss.

Emirates was keenly interested in expanding into Vancouver, B.C., but was blocked by the Canadian aviation authorities to protect Air Canada.

As a result, Seattle may see a boost in both business and tourist travel.

Strickland said Emirates has tended to expand business at all the airports it has gone into, generating new traffic.

When Emirates started flying to Shanghai, he said, unexpected traffic growth arose from Chinese businessmen and engineers traveling to Africa. When it opened its flights to São Paulo, Brazil, Japanese travelers filled planes en route to the thriving Japanese community there.

In India, said Strickland, Emirates has become the de facto national airline. "They are where Air India would have been if it had been better managed," he said.

Clark said he expects a healthy traffic between Seattle-area software companies and the "silicon areas" of India where software is a big export.

And of course, jet-setting Boeing executives will likely also be big users of the Emirates business-class cabins out of Seattle.

"They ought to be," said Clark. "I'll be telling them in no uncertain terms."

a747jb
29th Sep 2011, 08:10
Here's another interesting article from MarketWatch yesterday.

By Doug Cameron
The head of Emirates Airline said Tuesday that it will add three more U.S. destinations in 2012 and within five years could be serving more than 10 cities, all with its ultra-large Airbus A380.
The carrier plans to start flights to Dallas and Seattle from its Dubai base early next year, boosting the number of destinations in what has been its fastest-growing market to six from four, with another yet-to-be-identified destination to be announced shortly.
The Americas remains the smallest region for the world's largest international airline by traffic, and the economic crisis and the wait for deliveries of ultra-long range aircraft had delayed expansion beyond its existing flights to New York, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Tim Clark, the airline's president, said another four or U.S. five destinations were being eyed, with the region likely blanketed over the next three to five years by A380 service. The plane is currently only flown to the U.S. on one of its twice-daily New York flights.
"My own view is that the A380 would do most of the U.S. operations," said Clark in an interview. Airbus will launch a new version of the plane next year with more range.
Emirates will start a daily flight to Dallas-Fort Worth on Feb. 2, with the Seattle service launched on March 1, both using Boeing Co. (BA) 777 aircraft.
The choice of Dallas-Fort Worth and Seattle surprised some U.S. airline executives, with Chicago, Boston and Washington D.C. seen by some as more likely choices, but Emirates pointed to demand in the two cities created by the energy, tech and aerospace sectors.
The impact of the U.S. expansion is being closely watched by the industry as some European airlines continue to protest against Emirates' development in the region, claiming the airline is sucking business through its Dubai hub with the assistance of unfair government subsidies, a charge the company vehemently denies.
U.S. carriers, with the exception of Delta Air Lines Inc., (DAL) have so far stopped short of voicing criticism, and United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) CEO Jeff Smisek last month praised the airline and Dubai's aviation policy, drawing comparison with the perceived absence of support for the industry from the U.S. administration.
Smisek's remarks were notable because of the fierce stand taken against Emirates by Deutsche Lufthansa AG (DLA.XE), United's partner in the Star alliance.
The Americas was Emirates' fastest-growing region in the year to March 31 with revenue up 37.9%, while sales in its largest geographical area of operations--east Asia and Australasia--rose by 30.9%. Sales in the Americas lagged those on flights to Africa, where it serves 19 cities with plans to add two more early next year.
Transfer traffic through Dubai accounts for around 60% of the airline's total business, with passenger numbers up 15% to 31.4 million over the past year, and cargo rising almost 12%.
Clark said business was holding up, with passenger load factors in the "low 80s" last week, and cargo "keeping its head above water".
Emirates and rivals such as Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways have capitalized on their geographical location to use new long-range aircraft to funnel business through their hubs.

FUSE PLUG
29th Sep 2011, 17:00
Teahid. Strange indeed.

GoreTex
29th Sep 2011, 23:29
awww, what happened to the story that the 380 only does short haul and turns?? who pulled that out of his a@#e?

Waste Management
1st Oct 2011, 16:54
Look at B787, now performing short haul in Japan. Will be interesting to watch how far out it goes and how quickly, as its in-service experience increases.

halas
6th Oct 2011, 19:59
Which means more freighter destinations. All that speed, comfort and "emvironment" comes at a price.

"double the pax"? Wow, they have a 700 seater for ULR now?

Halas

glofish
7th Oct 2011, 06:58
Compared to 777 flying to USA or AUS an A380 is roughly 30 minutes faster at the Destination and carrys double the Pax. On top of it Pax love to fly 380s more then any other model in the skys. Thats what counts and shall be EKs success.

Todays figures for the JFK flights:

777 time 13:14 fuel 105.0 payload 34t

380 time 13:09 fuel 167.4 payload 32t

GoreTex
7th Oct 2011, 07:10
380 load is very low today, compare the max weights

glofish
7th Oct 2011, 07:25
Agreed, but this is not particular to 380s only!

It's just a snapshot, but snapshots sort of expose the bragging....

today the 380 was not 30 minutes faster
today the majority of passengers preferred the T7
today the 380 did not transport double the passengers
today the T7 used much less fuel per payload

If you brag, you have to take the flak.

If the whale is full, it makes money, if not it burns it.
We will see if we can adequately fill them to all of the the USA.

Or else, good bye high profit share ......

BYMONEK
7th Oct 2011, 07:37
'Or else, goodbye high profit share'

I like an optimist, but in the current climate, ANY profit share next year will be a bonus.

Wannabe Flyer
7th Oct 2011, 08:34
When is EK going to change the seats on the 330? My back hurts and the IFE sucks. Flew back on the T7 and so much better with an excellent IFE.....

GoreTex
7th Oct 2011, 09:58
fishy,
does the 777 make money when its empty?

who cares, TC decides what and where we fly to and thats it.

they have guys who plan and crunch numbers all day long with information we will never get, I am sure they know what they are doing, if not they get fired.

does it really upset you that yours is smaller?

vfenext
7th Oct 2011, 10:03
Glofish....Snapshot my arse!

falconeasydriver
7th Oct 2011, 10:36
Oh dear sandhound, how little you know about what comes out of Toulouse or Seattle.
Heres a thought, how about you have a quick chat to the line engineers? Or perhaps the fellas that do the heavy C and D checks.
To a man, they prefer to work on the american assembled product, and why you ask? Because its not been designed, built, or engineered with scant regard to tried and proven engineering principles, i.e. simplicity is often the best solution.
As for the 380 vs 777 debate, last time I checked they paid the same, so it comes down to whether you get a thrill out of saying "super" as often as possible and in that regard I know where I sit.

donpizmeov
7th Oct 2011, 10:41
That would be in the right hand seat wouldn't it falcon driver? Good on you for remembering, but really it's not rocket science!

The Don

falconeasydriver
7th Oct 2011, 11:08
So very true Don, its important to know ones place, fortunately for me I barely have the spare mental capacity to generate an original thought sat in my gear operators chair, and as I've often noted previously, when an opionion is asked for, its often given to you.
The great thing about being barely mediocre is there is no expectation placed on you, and thus the life of a career radio operator awaits.
I'm sure I read somewhere avaition originated in Oz......

donpizmeov
7th Oct 2011, 11:34
Good to see you have a good handle on things. Not sure if aviation did originate in Oz, but it would seem that some bean counters down that way are trying to end it.
Anyway keep up the good work. Rumour has it your not barely mediocre at all, but rather truly mediocre. See, all that hard work does pay off. :ok:

The Don

glofish
7th Oct 2011, 11:48
No need to get low on style when the truth hurts.

I am sure that the beancounters and TC made their homework, at least let’s hope so. If the whale is truly so much better, then so be it and deploy it on all the routes.

But just stick to the truth and don’t brag about things that are so easily exposed as pr bs. We can all read flightplans, therefore know the performance numbers. Where the discussion has to stop is at the yield.

But this however is even beyond the whale-fans.

We just all have to believe that the whale generates better revenue and look somewhat surprised that AF and LH pull theirs off some US routes.

White Knight
7th Oct 2011, 11:55
Just out of interest Glofish - of the 30 or so tonnes payload how much is made up of potatoes in the lower deck (good income) and how much is made up of possibly 76 J and 14 F class pax (extremely good income - in fact far higher than several tonnes of veg).

The payload itself means nothing. You need to look at the breakdown of the revenue within that payload. Comprendez vous?

falconeasydriver
7th Oct 2011, 12:00
Anyway keep up the good work. Rumour has it your not barely mediocre at all, but rather truly mediocre. See, all that hard work does pay off.

No rumour, pure fact, and thanks for the correction in my poor use of language...your CSR's must be pure poetry:ok:

glofish
7th Oct 2011, 12:15
White Knight

If you read my last post, you'll se that I agree with your statement!
I said that the yield is beyond our grasp.

And it's spelled "comprenez-vous?"

Cheers

White Knight
7th Oct 2011, 13:47
If you read my last post, you'll se that I agree with your statement!
I said that the yield is beyond our grasp.

I did see that.... However, as you were letting loose with the OFP cannons I thought I'd just clarify:ok:

I never was any good at french by the way:p Failed it even after seven years of lessons:eek:

millerscourt
7th Oct 2011, 14:10
White Knight

Please enlighten us as to what you were good at:}

White Knight
7th Oct 2011, 14:20
Partaking of cold ale and enjoyment of large doners:p;) Actually, that's not just past tense stuff - I'm still pretty current with these; just a little less:cool:

Far more enjoyable than french! Mind you, Mrs Herbert the french teacher was damn nice:ok::ok:

LHR Rain
8th Oct 2011, 05:25
Compare the airplanes over a 6 month period. You will not find too much of a difference in the Fish's figures.
The 380 carries 155 more pax but usually burns 70 tonnes more fuel. If you fill the whale you will make more money, if you don't you will take a bath on the flight. Take your chances