PDA

View Full Version : Flight Experiance Sims

beechie
28th Sep 2011, 08:14
These guys seem to have sims popping up everywhere.

Anyone used one of these for a simulator prep for a job interview? Worth while?

Avgas172
28th Sep 2011, 09:32
Flight Experiance Sims

First things first, get the spell checker out for your job interview ... :E

knox
28th Sep 2011, 09:41
Apart from the spelling, good for some cockpit layout famil and good for ****s and giggles but that's about it.

Knox.

beechie
28th Sep 2011, 10:45
First things first, get the spell checker out for your job interview

You got me :{

All fixed now :ok:

ChaseIt
28th Sep 2011, 11:02
I worked there during my CPL studies... Good bit of fun and good to get a basic idea on what is happening around the place... My mate went to them for sim prep at the Brissy store before his interview... Before he went he told them on the purpose of the visit and they set it up to the same config as what you get in the sim.. good luck :ok:

Centaurus
28th Sep 2011, 13:08
Don't expect the Flight Experience synthetic trainer to fly same as a real full flight simulator. For example the steep turn 45 degree angle of bank (737) test in the real simulator at 180 knots (Flaps 5) is around 5-7 degrees nose up. Same manoeuvre in one particular Flight Experience synthetic trainer was around 15 degrees nose high. Big difference. Huge difference in hiring cost often kills the real flight sim.

Howard Hughes
29th Sep 2011, 01:25
Surely if you are serious about interview preparation, $800 for the real thing is a small price to pay!;)

morno
29th Sep 2011, 01:50
Now I can't say I've ever had to do an airline interview, but I would have thought that the sim rides were more about 2 things:

You have some level of flying competency, and;
You're showing the interviewers they have something to work with if you were to get a job with them.

So does a practice ride in a sim really benefit you, considering the cost outlay?

morno

eocvictim
29th Sep 2011, 03:15
I'm sure it really makes a difference to the outcome though morno, what with all that hand flying you'll be doing during training and on the line.

beechie
3rd Oct 2011, 07:42
Think I might give one a go. I hear numerous people come back form interviews saying they stuffed the sim ride as they spent the first couple of minutes trying to figure out whats going on as often the simulator is an aircraft well above what they are experienced in.

Fondair
3rd Oct 2011, 09:01
Clearly a role more suited to the flight sim geek than a CPL level pilot.

The Bunglerat
3rd Oct 2011, 09:44
I think anyone looking at their first jet job from a GA background - & who doesn't think they would benefit from an hour or two in a full flight sim - would need to be supremely confident in their stick-&-rudder skills. Coming from a regional airline background would certainly help.

Whilst it's true that the same basic laws apply to all aircraft (irrespective of size or power plant), going from a light single or twin to a B737/A320 is still a huge leap, & not just in the context of systems either. Sort of like jumping out of a Hyundai & into a Ferrari 599. With regard to someone coming from a regional turbo-prop, again it would be a big help, nevertheless there are still significant differences between handling props vs jets. Not that a sim ride is about systems anyway, but different body angles for a given flightpath & responses to thrust inputs are all things that can throw a candidate off balance if not prepared.

I am not affiliated with any flight sim/flight training organisation, so this is not a sales pitch. That said, the decision on whether or not to purchase sim time is an individual one based on levels of confidence & ability as mentioned earlier, but I have to agree with Centaurus' remarks; the Flight Experience "simulator" is a pretty good rendition of an actual 737NG flight deck layout, but does not even remotely come close to the flying qualities of the real aeroplane. And whilst the genuine B737 full flight sim is also somewhat lacking, it's a hell of a lot closer to the real aeroplane than the other one - & therefore a much better investment for your interview prep (if you can afford it).

...Just another 50 cents' worth from someone who has flown all three.

ReverseFlight
4th Oct 2011, 16:16
You can't compare an FAA level 4 FTD to a FFS. By definition the FTD does not have to fully replicate the aerodynamics of the real aircraft, and besides, there is neither control loading nor g forces to fine tune your flare and landing (they'll teach you that when they train you at the airline). Who wants to learn systems on an FTD ? Most system logic don't work on the FTD and, being non type rated, you won't be asked such questions at the interview. The FTD's autopilot isn't like the real thing (esp HDG knob), and who cares, as you will be hand flying in the sim check anyway.

So don't waste your time and money on an FTD. Experienced turboprop drivers may have an advantage in the jet FFS, except they should allow for more inertia and engine response lag.