PDA

View Full Version : Flight Review in Germany

maximus610
27th Sep 2011, 21:53
Hi folks,
I'm doing my flight review in couple of weeks.I've decided to do it in Germany(where I'm living now) with a CFI and stick to a club with N-reg's (I'm FAA PPL holder) after.
I haven't flown for more than 2 years (never in Europe) so, would be grateful for any advice/suggestions to pass this review smoothly and painlessly and get airborne again.
I've read http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf but this is not enough, taking into account the German airspace regulation and radio phraseology.
Also considering that I've flown only Cessna 172 G1000 and the review will be done in a 152.
Thanks in advance!
Mxms

seat 0A
28th Sep 2011, 07:08
Maximus,

You would be smart to take a lesson first.
The airplane is different, the airspace is different, the language is different and the procedures are probably different.
On top of that, you haven't flown for more than two years.

No brainer, really. A lesson or two would probably be a very good investment....

B2N2
28th Sep 2011, 14:24
Take 6-8 lessons.
No way you can pass any serious review not having flown for two years.
Ask the same instructor that will do the review to train with you.

By the way your flight review DOES NOT have to be in a N-reg.
Since you are out of your two years you can't be PIC for the flight anyway.
Your instructor just need to be dual (instructor) rated.
Enjoy and let us know how things went.

maximus610
28th Sep 2011, 19:40
Thank you guys!

I'll definitely let you know my progress.

Mxms

maximus610
15th May 2012, 14:08
Have passed my BFR in Germany.
It took me 4 flight lessons + BFR flight itself.
Didn't find difficult at all flying a 152 classic after a 172 G1000.
A bit struggled with radio communication and visual navigation around Frankfurt area.
Slightly different from US but still easy and affordable (except night VFR flying).
BFR was 1.7 hours and comprised: power off stall, steep turns, slow flight, flying under the hood, emergency procedures, a touch&go, nav & radio comm skills + some theoretical questions regarding FAR.
I've already had a Xcountry flight from EDFE to EDQC as PIC.
For more info, just PM me.
Greets,
Mxms

B2N2
16th May 2012, 18:07
Well done!
Not to be a b@tch but it took you 8 months?

maximus610
21st May 2012, 12:31
Germany winter weather, instructor availability and my only few days off was the reason why it took me 8 months.;)