PDA

View Full Version : Seneca fatal caused by lack of pilot unusual attitude training

Centaurus
26th Sep 2011, 10:10
Seneca fatal in Spain. Significant factors: Suspect runaway elev trim. Pilots and instructor lacked any training in unusual attitude recoveries. Flying school syllabus did not include unusual attitude recovery training. Instructor had dodgy instrument flying logged hours. POH lacked Autopilot supplements for that aircraft. Pilots failed to log defects in maintenance log.

http://www.moptc.pt/tempfiles/20091026122331moptc.pdf

rmcb
26th Sep 2011, 12:17
I have experienced trim runaway twice - very frightening. I was on my own having just passed my MEIR. Cured by shutting off master switch. Shame the same couldn't be done for my bowels! Second time I recognised the symptom immediately and did the same.

Almost before doing anything else in the cockpit I now open the circuit for electric trim and only close it when I want AP and shut it off when AP is shut off.

Once again, very frightening - I would recommend instructors demonstrate the symptom as part of unusual attitude recovery.

Interesting report. Poor buggers. RIP.

The Old Fat One
26th Sep 2011, 18:27
If ever there was an accident report demonstrating the consequences of not reporting snags correctly that is it.

One hopes it gets suitable visibility throughout the pilot (and ops/engineer) community.

rmcb
26th Sep 2011, 22:07
If ever there was an accident report demonstrating the consequences of not reporting snags correctly that is it.

Agreed, both times (two different aircraft, two different operators) I reported it through 'official channels'. I have absolutely no confidence that it went any further than my techlog entries to be dealt with at the next 50 hour check.

IrishJason
27th Sep 2011, 14:02
Is this specific to this type ? Or is it more common, Sounds terrifying, RIP to all involved

B2N2
28th Sep 2011, 13:01
Little more to it then meets the eye;

Instructor did not have a lot of time on type to begin with like 100hrs.
This was the third Seneca and different from the other two.
High student load so a third airplane was brought in from Belgium
Different avionics, different autopilot and no autopilot disconnect on the RH side (instructor side)
Student flying at the time had no previous experience on this aircraft which did not help in identifying a problem.
At least half a dozen trim occurances that were not written up because of a bit of a lacksadaisy safety attitude.
The CFI in question had indicated to his girlfriend taht he wanted to quite and go back to University because of unspecified safety isssues
The airplane was flown overweight and out of CG on the flight in question.