PDA

View Full Version : Stents / Angioplasty / AHC and certification.

stilton
25th Sep 2011, 05:31
My Cardiologist is recommending a Cardiac Catheterisation to investigate
what may be a blockage.

After a nuclear stress test he told me there is an area of concern that could be
a blockage or a shadow.

As he is not sure he wants to verify by doing the CC.

If a blockage is found he says he will install a stent or do a balloon angioplasty.

After that I will have to be on blood thinners / plavix for a year.

Not crazy about having this procedure done but apparently anything less invasive will not determine conclusively what this is.

In addition to this he says I have 'Apical Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy'

I have not made a decision yet on doing the Cardiac Catheterisation

As I am out on disability with another issue these new issues are not of immediate concern to regaining my FAA 1st Class medical.

I can still exercise very vigorously on the treadmill for 40 minutes plus weightlifting, my resting pulse rate is between 40-50 bpm and bp 118/ 70.

The Cardiologist says I can and should continue to exercise without restriction.

I probably don't want to know the answer but does anyone know if these cardiac issues are permanently disqualifying ?

White Knight
25th Sep 2011, 11:34
Well - best thing is to google your regulator's medical requirements. I believe the FAA gives waivers for stents and angioplasty. I myself received stents last year and am back in the left seat of large jets, albeit a different regulator:ok:

NGFellow
27th Sep 2011, 18:27
Cardiac issues are generally reasons for disqualifying you from a Class I medical. However, after a cardiac event or procedure you can apply for a Class I special issuance medical. It is a conditional medical given and you have to fulfill all the testing they require and jump through all the hoops to maintain it. There is a website. Google special issuance FAA medical and you will get lots of info. There are a few medical clinics who specialize in getting your medical back. AOPA medical I'm told is very helpful.

P.S. FAA has a waiting period to apply after a procedure. usually 6 months.
I am not sure how old you are, but being a pilot I would say you are probably keen on knowing what the heck is going on. Unless you have some other major medical reason for doing the CC, I would, just to know what exactly you are dealing with. Yes it is invasive, but the results are conclusive.

Rashid Bacon
9th Oct 2011, 10:37
As far as I know, most authorities will mandate a 6 month wait after angioplasty - allegedly to guard against restenosis. That happened to me and the wait was pretty frustrating. Even though I'm back flying, I'll be on blood thinners and aspirin for the forseeable future.

I know some regulators may be looking at reducing this period, but as yet, nothing has been formalised.

Any medico's able to expand on this ?