PDA

View Full Version : Rugby World Cup 2011 Flypast

SRENNAPS
23rd Sep 2011, 21:12
Based on the way the 2011 Rugby World Cup is going, I would suggest that there is a reasonable chance of one of our home nations (for me it’s Wales) could make the final and possibly win it!

Any plans for a flypast over the home Nation stadium if it happens.

Just a thought as I like to look ahead positively…..unlike our leaders:E

Shack37
23rd Sep 2011, 21:27
No problem with a Belfast flypast, not so sure about overflying Dublin...:ok:

newt
23rd Sep 2011, 21:55
I suggest the roof on the Welsh stadium is left closed as nothing to see! Thats why Twickers does not have a roof!! They can always see the flypast should it be required!:ok:

foldingwings
23rd Sep 2011, 22:26
Heck, do we still have Belfasts!

Foldie:}

PS. Got my coat!

500N
23rd Sep 2011, 22:39
"(for me it’s Wales) could make the final and possibly win it!"

That's wishful thinking if ever I saw it. I mist say though that some of the best Rugby I ever saw was during Wales's superb period with players such as Gareth Edwards, J.P.R. Williams, Gerald Davies, Barry John, and Mervyn Davies. JJ Williams reminds me of Jonah Lomu.

All the Major teams from north and south need to lift their games to a higher level. Far too many mistakes by all.

It does make for an interesting Rugby World Cup though.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
23rd Sep 2011, 23:44
Heavylift in NSW, Oz still operates Belfasts.
I expect they could be hired to fly over Eden Park if Ireland win.
As if.....

SRENNAPS
24th Sep 2011, 08:36
Good score for England, that’s a step closer for the flypast over Twickers. I just hope Wales produce as many tries against Namibia tomorrow.

“If” Wales was to win and “If” a flypast could be arranged I think a Wellington bomber might be appropriate:

BBC News - The Wellington bomber plane built in a day (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11107561)

I wonder if the record still remains and I wonder if they could build one that quick for the flypast. It would need to be painted red and capable of dropping Red Dragon cuddly toys through the open roof of the Millennium stadium.:):)

Wensleydale
24th Sep 2011, 08:44
What do you call a Welshman with a world cup winners' medal?

An e-bay customer.:ok:

SRENNAPS
24th Sep 2011, 09:11
An e-bay customer.

Yes, I did hear that they were going for £4.99, Buy It Now, Free P&P. But not an investment for me, thanks:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sand4Gold
24th Sep 2011, 09:15
SRENNAPS, have you been on the wacky baccy? There was more chance of you being struck by satellite debris this morning than there is on a Northern Hemisphere team winning this year's world cup. Yes, it was a good score for England against Romania's B Team, but (top tip!) Bok's to win (although wouldn't bet against the All Blacks)! Sorry, no fly-past this year for you.

Trim Stab
24th Sep 2011, 19:49
Remaining on PPRUNE Ts &Cs, it was good to see Richie McCaw - undoubtedly the best number 7 the world has ever seen bar none, plus all round top bloke, and accomplished glider pilot - get his 100th All Black cap.

He was inspired to fly gliders by his grandfather, who was a WW2 pilot - anybody know any further details?

Not Long Here
24th Sep 2011, 20:29
Trim Stab,

And Richie is an Honorary Squadron Leader, RNZAF, as well. One of only about three honorary commissions.

henry crun
24th Sep 2011, 20:47
He also holds a PPL and is the Patron of a trust in the South Island which flies a DC3.

I read a while back he is studying for his CPL and has received some dual in the Dak.

bakseetblatherer
24th Sep 2011, 20:53
When there was a problem with the airport in Christchurch (I think) airport, Richie got the DC3 to deliver the Crusaders team for a game this season.

A pity the RNZAF don't have any jets to give him a spin

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4547950712_547033df91_m.jpg

Wensleydale
24th Sep 2011, 21:00
When there was a problem with the airport in Christchurch (I think) airport, Richie got the DC3 to deliver the Crusaders team for a game this season.

Surely the Crusaders would have their own F8?:}

500N
24th Sep 2011, 21:08
Some interesting bits of information in this article

Richie McCaw becomes Air Force squadron leader | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/2929566/Richie-McCaw-becomes-Air-Force-squadron-leader)

"the 74-test veteran has accepted a request by the RNZAF to become an honorary squadron leader until December 31, 2011. "

" The position is fitting for McCaw, who is proudly following in the jetstream of his late grandfather Jim McCaw who was a RNZAF fighter pilot during World War II.
"We had a pretty good relationship. I learnt to fly in the same place as he learnt to fly and he used to tell me stories about the war all the time," McCaw told the TimesOnline in 2006.
In 1944 McCaw senior saved countless Londoners' lives by shooting down German V1 rockets and when he ran out of ammunition bravely risked his life by bumping missiles off-target using the wing-tip of his Hawker Tempest MK5.
He was credited with 19 1/2 "kills" and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his attacks on German-controlled railways and missions over sea which saw 73 ships destroyed."

ZH875
24th Sep 2011, 21:20
Heavylift in NSW, Oz still operates Belfasts.
I expect they could be hired to fly over Eden Park if Ireland win.
As if.....

If they set off now, they should arrive just in time for the NEXT World Cup.

NutLoose
25th Sep 2011, 00:49
I suggest the roof on the Welsh stadium is left closed as nothing to see!That smacks of the F18 debacle in the USA that did one over the stadium with the roof shut,
Perhaps we could do it on the cheap, tell the audience they are getting a 20 ship Tornado flypast and put a tape on over the staduim speakers with the sound of a lone tornado going over and play it 20 times :E

Here you go

Super Bowl Flyover Cost Over $450,000 . . . Even Larger Flyover Planned For Turkey Bowl « JONATHAN TURLEY (http://jonathanturley.org/2011/02/08/super-bowl-fly-over-cost-over-450000-coming-flyover-planned-for-turkey-bowl/)

While watching the Super Bowl, I remarked to the kids on the curious concept of a flyover by Navy jets for a closed stadium where the fans watched on jumbo screens. My mirth turned to madness when I just saw on Reddit, however, that it cost the public $450,000.

The Navy says the cost to bring the formation of four planes, plus a backup, to North Texas was over $450,000, based on the operational cost of the F-18 aircraft and the number of hours the pilots will fly. They came from Virginia Beach because the military decided it was better to take them from across the country rather than use the squadron of F-18 fighters at the Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, less than 20 miles from the stadium

SRENNAPS
8th Oct 2011, 10:46
Can I book my aircraft now please………I think we are in with a chance and if not, the boys will still come home heroes. :D:D

Not rubbing it in as I am gutted that England lost; I really wanted to see a Wales V England semi final party:(

I would like to make a provisional booking of 16 Tornado bombers flying over the millennium stadium and I would like a display similar to this please:

Queens Birthday Flypast 1995. From inside the Cockpit - YouTube

500N
8th Oct 2011, 11:15
England didn't deserve to win and neither did Ireland.

Well done to the Welsh and the French, both played good games
and deserved the wins. The Welsh will go back heroes regardless.

It could be back to the glory days for Wales with such a young team.

The upsets of the big boys was on the cards and have now become reality,
I just hope it doesn't extend to Australia on Sunday.

SRENNAPS
8th Oct 2011, 15:07
Hope my thread dont go the same way as the other two........well not until the end of the World Cup at least,:rolleyes:

I am willing to accept a couple of Grobs from St Athan over the best rugby stadium in the world;)

westernhero
9th Oct 2011, 20:07
Dunno if i'm missing something folks, but why is the USN flying over the Super Bowl in a flight of T-45's painted red and a Concorde borrowed from whichever museum now has one over there ? ......

And you think our media is bad........:D

Milo

fabs
9th Oct 2011, 21:23
Bloody long flight for the Tutor to the MCC though SRENNAPS (it does host the odd rugby game).

TBM-Legend
9th Oct 2011, 21:29
well done Wallabies.....tough titties for the Boks...:D

SRENNAPS
15th Oct 2011, 14:44
oh well , was not to be. Well done to the French and you have enough of your own planes for your own flypast. Good luck.

PS. I dont like Alain R too much:{:{

SmilingKnifed
15th Oct 2011, 14:50
If anyone wishes to do a flypast, can they possibly make it an armed one over the countryside somewhere outside Dublin?

The target can be identified by the French flag flying proudly outside.

SK. Bitter and twisted Taff

diginagain
15th Oct 2011, 14:51
PS. I dont like Alain R too muchWould that be the half-French, half-Irish Alain R (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Rolland)?

E-Spy
15th Oct 2011, 15:27
"Rolland, whose father is French, speaks fluent French, making him an 'ideal neutral' referee for matches involving teams from English-speaking countries and France."

Hmmmm, not entirely sure about that statement after today.....

diginagain
15th Oct 2011, 15:46
teams from English-speaking countries
Do the Welsh count?

flipster
16th Oct 2011, 07:30
The target can be identified by the French flag flying proudly outside.

Would that be the Sunshine Home for Blind Irish Referees by any chance which now has a new inmate?

I am an entertainer,
and I sing for charity.
For Oxfam and for Shelter,
for those worse off than me.
Bangladesh, Barnardos Homes,
and though I don't get paid,
It does one good to do some work
for things like Christan aid.

But of all the concerts that I've done
for the homeless overseas,
The one I did that pleased me most
was not for refugees.