PDA

View Full Version : AeroShell oil question

EN48
23rd Sep 2011, 14:57
I use AeroShell 560 and 555 in my 407 and would like to know the practical shelf life of these products stored in unopened cans at room temp. Have been to the Shell website and while they publish much technical info, shelf life is not mentioned (as far as I can tell). Any pointers to authoritative info?

vfr440
23rd Sep 2011, 15:03
Do they not stamp the expiry date on the bottom of the tins? I sincerely believe that they used to do so :confused: - VFR

EN48
23rd Sep 2011, 15:10
Do they not stamp the expiry date on the bottom of the tins?

The cans that I have show a manufacturing date embossed into the metal top of the can but no expiration date that I can see.

However, after some more digging on the web, I found this at a non-Shell site:
Shelf Life Data (http://www.qclubricants.com/shelf_life.htm)

and it says 4 years.

onetrack
23rd Sep 2011, 15:17
Oil in sealed containers should last indefinitely. Valvoline states their Motor oil does.

Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > General Motor Oil (http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/general-motor-oil/)

The base oil itself does not deteriorate over time, only the additives may. Additives may sink to the bottom of the container, or they may degrade by chemical decomposition.
As oil additives are generally chosen for their extremely stable characteristics, it's unlikely that storage at room temperature in a factory-sealed container would result in chemical decomposition of additives. They would remain unaffected for many years.
The physical settling of heavy additives in the oil, over a long period of time, can be corrected by upending and shaking the container, prior to use.

EN48
23rd Sep 2011, 15:34
Oil in sealed containers should last indefinitely.

Well... maybe. However, this is not motor oil we are talking about, it a high tech synthetic oil. One would think that this would improve shelf life, but on the site referenced above, both the petroleum based and synthetic oils are shown with the same shelf life: 4 years.

The oil in question is about $14 per quart. The RR 250-C47B is about $500,000. I think I wont use oil beyond the published shelf life just in case, especially since oil cost is about the cheapest part of operating a helicopter. :O

vfr440
23rd Sep 2011, 17:01
Yes, absolutely, an SOP prior to opening (and use a key, NOT a screwdriver :ugh:) you don't want to add (small) shavings of metal to the lubricating fluid -VFR

onetrack
24th Sep 2011, 02:43
Synthetic oils designed for extreme aviation use are manufactured via chemical processes such as the Fischer-Tropsch process to ensure stability at extreme temperatures and extreme operating conditions.
They have none of the natural contaminants and impurities of lubricating products that are manufactured using crude oil bases.
As such, they are as chemically stable, if not more stable, than any other oil. I see no reason to become concerned about degradation after storage for several years.

If there was concern about oil degradation over modest time periods, you can guarantee there would be considerable warnings posted by aircraft and engine manufacturers, and aviation regulatory authorities, about potential problems... and these warnings would be easily found.
I can find no such warnings, so I think you can rest easily that your valuable RR 250-C47B won't suffer any deleterious effect from using an oil that has been in storage for some time.
If still in doubt, consult the engine manufacturer, I'm sure that they will have worthy advice on the subject.

The storage method is the critical factor. Properly-factory-sealed containers should have no concern attached to them at all. It's when containers have been opened, and then stored, is when concern should be raised.
The contamination of oil by moisture (purely from the air, via condensation) and by other physical contaminants such as dust and dirt, is what destroys oil. If the oil is in a factory-sealed container, the possibility of these contaminants reaching the oil is virtually nil.
The reason that some oil companies place a shelf life on oil, is because they have no control over storage methods, temperatures and conditions, once the oil is sold. Thus, they are obliged to place shelf life limits on oils to protect themselves from claims.

blackhand
24th Sep 2011, 08:17
I can find no such warnings, so I think you can rest easily that your valuable RR 250-C47B won't suffer any deleterious effect from using an oil that has been in storage for some time

Well yes indeed, that old C47 is only worth about 280 - 300 thousand dollars, so take the superscilious advice of some random on the interwebs instead of the data stamped on the can.

Cheers
BH

ericferret
24th Sep 2011, 10:21
Shell might not be forthcomming but Mobil who produce oil to the same mil specs are.

In sealed cans its 10 years, in drums or other containers 5 years.
They say from the date of manufacture data on paperwork or containers.

Works for me!!!

onetrack
24th Sep 2011, 13:20
BH - Well, if you really feel the urgent need to put someone down, you should at least learn to spell "supercilious" properly.
"Su·per·cil·i·ous - Adjective: Behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others". Ahh, I see you understand the process perfectly.

EN48
24th Sep 2011, 14:35
OT,

Thanks for your detailed response. Pretty much what I was thinking until I found the 4 year shelf life on AS560 at the link posted above.

Here is what BP says for 2380, also a 23699 spec synthetic oil:

The shelf life of BP Turbo Oil 2380 can extend beyond four years when stored in original,

unopened quart cans under recommended storage conditions, i.e. in a well ventilated and

covered area away from extreme heat and moisture etc. 55-gallon drums and 5-gallon pails

have an expected shelf life of three years minimum.

And here is the full text: http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/aviation/air_bp/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/pq/pds_bp_turbo_oil_2380_jan_05.pdf

onetrack
24th Sep 2011, 15:48
EN48 - Aeroshell Oil 560 corresponds to Mil Spec MIL-PRF-23699 Class HTS. The Mil Spec shelf life recommendation for MIL-PRF-23699 Class HTS oils on the following site is 5 yrs.

Royal Lubricants - Synthetic and Petroleum Based Lubricating Oils, Hydraulic Fluids, Greases and Preservatives (http://fpcfilters.com/products/manufacturers/royal/roycocross/#p)

This following site has a "Product Shelf Life Data" for Aeroshell synthetic turbine oils that leads only to the product MSDS... which does not list shelf life.
However, the MSDS does list the product as "stable" and to be stored in conditions of between -50 deg C and 50 deg C.

Aeroshell Turbine Oils (http://www.qclubricants.com/aeroshell/aeroshell_turbine.htm)

Possibly the most comprehensive information comes from this Shell Aviation lubricants site, which is quite detailed on storage methods and retesting. And yes, this site says 4 years shelf life, for Shell Turbine ester-type oils.
Note that the 4 years is the period set for re-testing of the oil, not necessarily the period before discarding it for aviation use.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/aviation/downloads/pdf/products/all_shelflife.pdf

However, Shells summary reads (and I cut and pasted the wording)...

"In general, AeroShell products are inherently stable. If stored properly, their quality, properties and performance should not be affected by prolonged storage."

EN48
24th Sep 2011, 16:11
OT - thanks! The link to Shell shelf life is exactly what I was looking for.