PDA

View Full Version : Failing a Skills Test

TraineePilot01
4th Nov 2001, 16:11
My Skills Test is on Friday - AGGGGHHHH!!!

If I fail, do you just get retested on the bit you failed on or do you have to do the whole lot again?

Cheers...

Southern Man
4th Nov 2001, 16:35
Back in my day, (March 99), the CPL General Flight Test (skills test) was broken down into 3 parts, Nav, General Handling and Circuits, if you failed one section you had to redo that part. Nav in my case, if you failed 2 or more you had to resit the whole test. If you failed your resit you had to redo the whole test. No doubt the folk at JAR have changed everything, but that was the broad scheme of things.

ps its wasn't cheap, £330 for partial plus aircraft hire, nb this is CPL, not PPL

Rusty Cessna
4th Nov 2001, 16:51
This is how it's done in the land of JAR.

Section 1 - Pre Fight ops and departure
Section 2 - Airwork (General Handling)
Section 3 - En-Route Procedures (nav)
Section 4 - Approach and Landing Procedures
Section 5 - Abnormal and Emergency Procedures
Section 6 - (PPL) Aircraft specific oral.

Everything you have learned will be tested in a part of the above. If you fail 1 or more sections (I think) you have to resit the whole test, if you fail only one, it's a partial, and you have to reisit that, fail that and you have to do a whole skills test again.

Hope it helps, I have mine this week too!

Rusty.

eagerbeaver
4th Nov 2001, 17:23
you aint gonna fail though

TraineePilot01
4th Nov 2001, 18:51
One of the requirements in my skills test is to do Radio Navigation - is this essential to pass the test cos I'm really not very good at it...?

BEagle
4th Nov 2001, 19:09
Are you talking about PPL or CPL Skill Test? 'Radio Navigation' is NOT a required part of the PPL Skill Test - you merely have to be able to fix your position by use of aircraft radio navigation aids except GPS or ground-based radar and to track to or from a beacon for 5 minutes. You may use pre-planned radio navigation or GPS fixes to confirm visual fix points, but only at the Examiner's discretion.

The Examiner has certain guidelines as to pass/fail standards; don't worry too much about them and just do your best. Your instructors won't have put you up for the test unless they thought that you were ready for it!

Whirlybird
4th Nov 2001, 19:44
Seems to be quite a week coming up! I too have a "Skills Test" - CPL(H) GFT; still called that I think, even though it's JAR. Split into Gen Handling, Nav, and Instrument Flying, can fail one and just re-take that, fail more than one you re-sit the whole thing.

No, I'm not gonna fail, am I? But if anyone would like to cross fingers and toes for all of us, it would be appreciated. Not that any of us need it of course.

monkeyboy
4th Nov 2001, 20:38
Good luck with the tests, chaps!

Let us all know how you get on and fingers crossed for you!

MB :)