PDA

View Full Version : Russian/ Nato Refueling probe compatability?

giblets
22nd Sep 2011, 15:58
Wondering if anyone here was aware of whether the Russian UPAZ and NATO standard refueling probes are compatible?

The probes appear similar from a distance, but there seems little information on whether they are identical / compatible or not. Clearly this matters more for countries like India which operate both Western and Russian types.
Reading up, there seems some confusion, as I understand, Indian Il-78's are fitted with Israeli Drogue systems, but are they Russian aircraft retrofitted with Western probes?:confused:

Su-33 probe
http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/su-33walkround/ifrprobe_01.jpg
Tornado Probe:
http://rogerritter.com/images/aviation/Mi8-Tornado/File0025.jpg

vascodegama
22nd Sep 2011, 16:21
Put it this way, the Indian AF(IL78?) tankers refuel their Jaguars without any problems.

barnstormer1968
22nd Sep 2011, 18:39
giblets.

There was a thread on PPRuNe a while back, and this very subject was discussed.

One poster who had seen both said that the soviet/Russian probes were literally identical copies of NATO ones. There was further discussion (from memory) That Soviet cold war doctrine copied or used components that were compatible with western equipment, as they would likely have been operating from Western airfields very shortly after a major East/West conflict bloke out.

Trim Stab
22nd Sep 2011, 18:44
Indian Il-78's are fitted with Israeli Drogue systems

I suspect that Israeli probes are incompatible with our drogues - they are probably missing that locking ring just behind the shiny round bit:uhoh:

NutLoose
22nd Sep 2011, 20:54
Did I ever tell you about Gorbies visit to BZN and the fuelling ohh and defuelling :E

rh200
22nd Sep 2011, 23:05
as they would likely have been operating from Western airfields very shortly after a major East/West conflict bloke out

:uhoh::uhoh: I hope that was just positive thinking on their part:p

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2011, 01:55
It was. The ground refuelling conncestions were identical, as is the AAR coupling. They are all reverse engineered versions of the NATO/Western coupling and as has been mentioned, there are several operators mixing using the different systems. India and Malaysia being two.

sycamore
23rd Sep 2011, 17:11
T-S,think that one fell on stony ground..

chopd95
23rd Sep 2011, 18:00
T S, Sycamore, if it fell on stony ground the Rabbi might be in trouble ?!

Thud_and_Blunder
23rd Sep 2011, 18:19
Ah, I see'd what you did there.

During a visit to the nearby Su22M3 regiment while on exercise at Drawsko Pomorskie (sp?) in 1996, the Polish aircrew there confirmed what has been said above - they planned to use NATO refuelling kit as they advanced into the decadent west.

sycamore
24th Sep 2011, 10:54
T-S,and Chop , joint NATO aircraft carry the logo `NATO-OTAN`; if the Israelis joined forces with a tanker,do you think the `logo should be `NATO-OTAN-ONAN`.??And would you get a refuel,or just a `dry` contact..?

Pontius Navigator
24th Sep 2011, 14:25
they planned to use NATO refuelling kit as they advanced into the decadent west.
Given the Charlie Uniform that the West used to make with the different POL I wonder how they would have got on?

Trim Stab
24th Sep 2011, 20:09
T-S,and Chop , joint NATO aircraft carry the logo `NATO-OTAN`; if the Israelis joined forces with a tanker,do you think the `logo should be `NATO-OTAN-ONAN`.??And would you get a refuel,or just a `dry` contact..?

You might be risking op-sec with that commet - it could become an international sore-point.

Dan Winterland
25th Sep 2011, 05:09
''Given the Charlie Uniform that the West used to make with the different POL I wonder how they would have got on?''

Probably OK. The Soviet kit was designed to accept variety of fuels. For example, the SU25 Frogfoot was/is able to burn a wide range of fuel including deisel.

rjtjrt
25th Sep 2011, 05:35
Previous thread here.
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/431574-international-aerial-refuelling-compatability.html
John