PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows - Bournemouth

Lightning Mate
22nd Sep 2011, 11:42
From the BBC this morning.

A permanent memorial is to be created in Bournemouth for a Red Arrows pilot who died after an airshow display.

Flt Lt Jon Egging, 33, from Rutland, died when his Hawk T1 aircraft crashed into a field at the village of Throop, near Bournemouth Airport, on 20 August.

Council leader Peter Charon said he had met Flt Lt Egging's wife Emma, mother and close friend to discuss the plans.

He said the memorial would be created at East Cliff and there were also plans for an annual charity gala.

The design of the memorial will be decided by Flt Lt Egging's family and the council is planning to have it in place by next year's air festival.

Design competition
Mr Charon said: "We will provide a permanent memorial on the East Cliff, close to where the Red Arrows actually fly in the festival, and that will be the main focal point for the memorial.

"We will take that out to a competition locally - the family were very keen on that to try and get some design ideas.
"It will be the family who decides on the final format and how it looks.
"They were also very keen [on], and we support, an annual gala in memory of Jon Egging because they very recently set up a charitable trust and we will assist with fundraising for the trust."

He said about £8,500 had already been raised in the town in donations and through auctioning a sculpture of a lion which became a floral tribute point following the crash.

The Jon Egging Trust has been set up by Dr Emma Egging to give disadvantaged young people opportunities to help them achieve their potential.

Flt Lt Egging grew up in Southam, Warwickshire.

Spit161
22nd Sep 2011, 16:07
Good to hear :ok:

cheers,
Jake.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Sep 2011, 16:09
Good show.

BOAC
22nd Sep 2011, 16:19
What of the BoI?

parabellum
22nd Sep 2011, 21:34
Obviously they will be looking at every possibility but I heard from an RAF person that bird strike was high on the list.

Corporal Clott
22nd Sep 2011, 23:09
Does anybody know if Bournemouth are planning similar for their own local heroes? There area few names in the link below that are from RMB Hamworthy...

Afghanistan Heroes (http://bootnecksrus.com/Marines.aspx)

CPL Clott

Lightning Mate
23rd Sep 2011, 07:10
Does anybody know if Bournemouth are planning similar for their own local heroes?

I will try to find out for you.

What of the BoI?

You and I both know very well how long it can take mate. :\

November4
6th Mar 2013, 18:49
Just got back from a trip to Bournemouth and took a couple of photos of the memorial...

http://pro-patria.co.uk/1.jpg

http://pro-patria.co.uk/2.jpg

500N
6th Mar 2013, 18:58
That is superb. I really like the planes heading skyward.

Thanks for posting.

stumpey
6th Mar 2013, 22:21
Oh now that IS nice. But how long till some worthless BASTARD defaces it, or Pikys nick it for the scrap value?

Chris Kebab
7th Mar 2013, 14:57
I think that looks superb; a very fitting memorial.

Well done to all those involved.

Halton Brat
7th Mar 2013, 16:20
This is a fine memorial, and is totally fitting.

I truly hate to be a prophet of doom, but I would wager a good dinner that the feature of the climbing Hawks will not survive the summer; we live in an age of pi$$ed-up chavs to whom this would be irresistible in the small hours.

It pains me to say that such memorials, in future, should be designed with this in mind - these are the times that we live in. Couple this with the metal theft epidemic, which is not only confined to the UK; I recently saw a WW2 American memorial in the Saarland of Germany which had several large bronze plaques crudely ripped out & stolen.

I may be too much of a liberal, but I would have such people skinned alive & burned at the stake.

HB

dead_pan
7th Mar 2013, 16:58
Good intentions and all that. Maybe it would have been better to have sited it indoors at some public building where it could locked away at night when the knuckle-draggers come out to play?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Mar 2013, 17:03
HB - you are a softie! You aren't seriously proposing doing nothing to the scrotes' families as well are you? :E

Courtney Mil
7th Mar 2013, 17:27
Simple solution to the metal theft issue, build memorials out of depleted uranium or, indeed, any nuclear waste. A great way to get rid of the stuff and anyone who nicks it or messes with it dies. Painfully.

Every one a winner!

Bob Viking
7th Mar 2013, 18:11
Being a Bournemouth local I can assure you we don't have Pikeys. However, they have been known to visit from Poole from time to time!
BV;)

November4
7th Mar 2013, 20:06
Am assuming the memorial was sited where it is because there was an existing memorial across the path from the location. That one was to a Spitfire pilot killed in 1947 when his aircraft crashed into the sea during the Battle of Britain display.

http://pro-patria.co.uk/3.jpg

JOE-FBS
28th Apr 2015, 06:27
Jon Egging Red Arrows tribute unveiled at Bournemouth museum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-32485658