PDA

View Full Version : Qatar, or Etihad?

330airbus
22nd Sep 2011, 11:21
I would appreciate input on which of these airlines would be a better choice.
I will be coming with my wife and 2 children (young ones).

As an airline itself, i've heard there really is no difference in the way you get treated, etc.
I'm leaning towards QR because I read the schools in Doha are very good, and there is better chance of advancement (if any) with QR.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rich8a10
22nd Sep 2011, 11:31
90% of the people in this forum will tell you that both are crap and that you better stay in your country.

But, I have friends on both airlines and they seem to be very happy, I think it all depends on where are you comming from.

My friends on Etihad are flying A320 and others A330, they got a nice apartment and their wifes and kids are happy, I have an other one that lives in Dubai.

The ones in Qatar are Singles so I dont know a lot about living in Doha with kids.

Hopefully you will find someone in here that will wive you a real comparison between them apart from saying bad thing about them.

gcc_
22nd Sep 2011, 11:31
1) Don't expect QR to be half as bad as people complain about it here.
2) You are right. No difference or better treatment in Etihad whatsoever.

Schools in Doha are one of the best.
I would pick QR no doubt.

fatbus
22nd Sep 2011, 11:52
J know lots of people pilot s and non pilots that have lived in both and most prefer UAE. Jobs are the same .

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Sep 2011, 14:00
Many dozens of pilots left QR to go to EY, hundreds more have applied

Not one has gone the other way

Wonder why? :hmm:

fly66
22nd Sep 2011, 14:34
Hey guys...I was thinking of moving to Bahrain(GulfAir)anybody has any suggestions or which is better of the 3??Ig EY QR or GA.
Just my wife and me.
Thanks.

TwoTone-7
22nd Sep 2011, 14:55
Luke skytoddler, what you say is incorrect. I know some who have done the reverse. Furthermore, I recently met a Captain who is in management at EY come and apply for a job at QR. His seniority is within the first 50 of 1000 Pilots EY have.

bigcheeks
22nd Sep 2011, 19:08
Do your research and compare life in Qatar with life in the UAE. Enough said :p

flighttimer
22nd Sep 2011, 21:17
As an airline, advancement, quicker command, better fleet, etc, from everything I've gathered its QR.
Country, definitely UAE.

WELCO
23rd Sep 2011, 12:30
That's very true flighttimer!

So you should answer this question yourself, 330airbus!

Do you want the better professional life or the better social and personal life?

If you want to join QR, be prepared for working, working and working! Forget about the people in Qatar, the crazy driving habits, and high levels of boredom on your free time. It's going to be tough, but it will pay off few years later and for the rest of your life in this career..guaranteed!

Good luck.

gcc_
23rd Sep 2011, 20:49
Just like FT and WELCO said.
QR is a career airline.
Better for anyone in the long run.
Nice airline to work for.

Etihad's only advantage is the country itself, nothing else.

gdukkoq
24th Sep 2011, 04:56
Command Time at QR is 3 years if you have 5000TT on A320 or 6000 with 2000 above 100t on long haul. Got many friends at QR and many already upgrade after 3 years.

loc22550
24th Sep 2011, 05:21
GCC WELCO:
-I don't think the poor guys stuck on 320 with their crappy rosters for years..watching all the juniors guys joining straight the airline on long haul or watching the upgrade still going on on 330/777 or listening to the false promises of their CP...will agree with you to say that QR is a Career airline!!!
-""it will pay off few years later.."":what you are talking about.???????????

Don't forget 320 fleet is a different airline!

gcc_
24th Sep 2011, 09:19
Loc,

You think it works differently in other airlines?
The amount of discrimination you can get in EK and EY is pathetic.
Rosters even worse, and upgrades only to their own.

QR gives everyone a fair chance. Some ARE quiet unlucky I agree.
When you do get your chance, you will realize that QR offer more than any other airline in the region.
It seems like the younger and less experienced guys are the only ones not complaining about QR lately.

I haven't read a single post where you haven't dissed QR, yet you stick around.
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Rippa
24th Sep 2011, 12:34
Etihad hands down (I have been in both airlines as a pilot). No discrimination in either. Good luck with your choice.

WELCO
24th Sep 2011, 12:38
Don't forget 320 fleet is a different airline!

And how did you know that the guy who has started this thread was asking about the 320 fleet?!!! Is that what people call "Reading between the lines"?!!! Calm down.. You are too stressed, aren't you?

Well..No other airline in the region is enjoying the versatility of aircraft types and the massive rate of fleet growth as QR! No matter you like it or not, it's a fact that nobody can ignore QR leaping forward every year while others are running, walking, or falling back sometimes! So you have to know exactly where do you want to end up between the crowd!
I know it doesn't look pretty now for some of the 320 guys, but don't jump to conclusions.. You never know what changes will happen in the next few years when new types join the company! At least, the probabilities are always higher with a very dynamic company like QR.

That was my own belief! Now people go back and work up your minds a bit and focus on your objectives and why you are here..
Salary...Logbook hours...ratings...and do your job happily even if you don't like it and until you get what you like!

Good luck.

I-2021
24th Sep 2011, 15:21
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi there,

Time to command now in Etihad is between 3.5 and 4 years, and the upgrades are actually on the A320 for the Airbus fleet. After 500 hours as PIC on the A320 you get CCQed to the A330 and you fly mixed fleet. If you join on the A320 as a FO it takes actually 1 year to get CCQed to the A330 and fly mixed fleet. If you join on the A330, it should take you between 1.5 to 2 years to get on the A340 if you wish so (many guys are really happy flying 320/330 or 330 only). Upgrades and CCQs are obviously based on the seniority list so these are the rough figures at that moment, they can change according to the rate of fleet's expansion, but they will probably only improve with more airplanes to come. Lifestyle on the A320/330 as a FO is generally good and some months even very good, depending on what kind of flights you like/dislike obviously. For Captains it's still a bit tough on some occasions but with the upcoming upgrades it will get better. Lifestyle in the UAE is really close to the western style. You will find good schools for your kids and you will enjoy your free time.
I wish you all the best for your decision !

Cheers.

EDIT : Sorry for the auto correction of Etihad.

Immigrant
24th Sep 2011, 16:28
I-2021

Grate info :ok:

What about B777?

What the latest rumors of Crewing 787 in QR?

Finely looks like we get constructive talk, thank you guys :D

I-2021
24th Sep 2011, 16:49
What about B777?

Can't really tell you exactly how it goes for the triple 7, but roughly I would say that the upgrade time is close to the time you could expect on the Airbus fleet. More 777 are joining the fleet and more have to come, so it is growing on that side. People I have the chance to speak with are generally really happy about their rosters. No clues about 787 in QR, sorry ;)

Immigrant
24th Sep 2011, 16:54
Thanks a lot I-2021, your post put one of the last bricks to my "wall of arguments" before make a final choice.

Question about 787 was to QR people :)

330airbus
28th Sep 2011, 11:53
Quick update to all.

Asked a whole bunch of my mates that I haven't been in touch with for a very long time. Some are working in QR, some in EY, and some have mates that work in either.
After lurking around the forums, I have made up my mind on where i'm going to go.

My apologies on not clarifying what fleet I will be joining.
It will be the A330.
For the guys joining on the 320 fleet, EY is far worse than that of QR.
I consistently got this comment about EY, about how their 320 rosters are absolutely horrible.

The guys that are flying in QR don't plan on leaving their jobs, and love it.
They are now used to the "rules" and have no issues whatsoever.
Guys on EY, on the other hand, to my surprise, are the ones complaining.
The one's on the 320 specifically, and the seniors that are waiting for command.

Having put a lot of thought into it, and the fact that QR is expanding, will continue to expand, and can't be half as bad as people claim, I pick QR.

100's of Pilots work for QR, but I see the same names complaining over and over again.
For example "loc22550".
Track back his posts, and this man has been in Doha for such a long time.
He has been complaining about QR 5 years ago, the same way he does today, yet he does not leave the company.
Enough said.

This could be a mistake, it could be the best thing i've done for myself, either way, it's decided.
I will come back in a while and give feedback on what it is REALLY like.
Remember, for some of these people the grass is just always greener on the other side.

Good Day.

WELCO
28th Sep 2011, 12:24
I think you've made the right decision mate!:cool:

Good luck.

vaschandi
30th Sep 2011, 08:03
Congratulations and welcome in the team!

I could believe that one day you will feel like me:
I am not only enjoy flying with Qatar Airways, I am even proud being part
of it!
There is always room for improvements, thatīs for sure, but all in all it is a
great Airline!

All the best!

Alcatraz69
30th Sep 2011, 23:47
Well Done .Welcome to QR !

rsajlk
2nd Oct 2011, 14:41
Dude, whatever country you go to, whatever airline you join, its really what you make of it A Positive attitude, a willingness to adapt, and a cool disposition will bring you a long way. Good job, welcome and enjoy the ride...

JCUERVO
2nd Oct 2011, 17:44
Opinions are like A## holes...Everyones got one...So here's mine!...

Blah blah Blah "No place is perfect" yes we know that! Whether Qatar is a shinning beacon of an airline or a corruption infested charter airline pretending to be a 5 star wonder is really in the eye of the beholder and where you come from and what your coming from...Any decision to come to the gulf in any way better involve long hard thought and research should be done, as Im sure you have...But honestly positive or negative its really all about what you can accept and what you cant...

Recently I have seen many changes for the WORST in this airline as compared to very few positive...And I am actively looking to find whats better for me which every day I am more convinced is not QR...I have my reasons and my background defining what my ideals are of quality of life and fair treatment and sadly the Airline is disappointing in meeting my expectations and no change in the horizon...Some other guys and girls depending on their personal situations might agree with me in wanting to leave (As aprox. 170+ already have this year) and others well they might be more like GCC who apparently couldn't be happier...

Any way here's my A##... I mean "Opinion" for you to consider!

gdukkoq
2nd Oct 2011, 18:38
I'll be joining QR soon, and I couldn't not be happier! :ok:

blusky75
2nd Oct 2011, 19:03
Same for me:)

gcc_
2nd Oct 2011, 19:10
Congratulations! :ok:

You did not make a mistake.
What you heard about EY's 320 roster is true.
Having worked in both airlines, I definitely assure that you will love working for QR.

jonbj
2nd Oct 2011, 20:08
Same for me ;)

JCUERVO
2nd Oct 2011, 21:05
gcc just out of curiosity, wasn't there a Chief Pilot that came from EY to QR and left just 2 months later back to EY (leaving behind his 330 spot from QR to go back to EY 320) ?

Flaps99
2nd Oct 2011, 22:23
Im currently working in QR..and this is my opinion from a western point of view, flying widebody, and single:

Pros of the airline:

Good stable airline
Pay on time
shiny and well equipped jets
good destinations
progression will come one day, not too soon, but atleast it will come.
some nice people to fly with
rosters are getting better
staff travel is not bad, agreements with other airlines, etc
they will accept you in jump seat if flight is full
Pros for the country:

generally safe, hardly no robberies, violence, etc
thats about all i can think of
Cons of the airline:

Management
Crappy diminishing rules
your career is on the edge as u might get fired for any reason
punishment is always on the talk, having to be always too carefull what you say, what you do, your uniform etc, etc etc
airport sucks
unfair simulator sessions, might make your progression fall far behind for just having one bad day
actually anything you do wrong, from being too much sick, to getting a warning letter, to a bad simulator, might put you on the black list for progression.
Talking about progression, did i mention there are as much direct entry captains as f.o?, the average number of upgrades are less than 30 a year for an airline that has over 1000 pilots- 5+ years for upgrade in wide body. still better than BA :}
uniform sucks
you pay your own crew bags, medical, and exit permits
pay is still below expat standards in the middle east
housing allowance below doha average rent
no retirement fund
if youre single..get ready to play hide and seek with the Cabin crew as they gotta be back home by 3:30 even on days off :oh:
etc
Cons Qatar:

Too many to mention, but the ones that bother me the most:
Nothing to do
same 2 malls
no women other than cabin crew
same 3-4 bars/clubs, and they close at 2:30am
No green, parks, trees or anything beautiful that might make your eyes shine a bit, ok sorry yea the corniche..thats about it.
traffic sucks, dangerous roads, driving, etc
no nice beaches
only few interesting restaurants
mentality of the locals amongst the most backward in the middle east
as i said too many to mention..but il leave it here.
I dont wanna curse like others what this place is..i came and im making the best out of it, im thankful for the job, the airplane i fly, and i enjoy my job very much.
However for any expat arriving here, whether he is Mr positive for all, of Mr im not happy with myself..hel agree this is not a place to be for long..the airline is generally nice to work for, but thats about it..most of the people get outta here as soon as they have 3 days off in a row... and change job as soon as something better arises. If you have family, and your wife is ok with the place, then life is much more bearable than if your single, thats for sure.

my 5 cents..

Fr8Dogg
3rd Oct 2011, 03:24
Flaps99 couldn't be more Spot On. I myself am in the identical situation, working for QR, Widebody, Western point of view, and single.

I would just like to emphasize what a HUGE impact on your personal life the cabin crew rules will have on you if you are single and join QR. It may seem like a minor issue prior to joining, however after a few years here the frustration level has me looking to Abu Dhabi. Because lets face it... 90% of the time you wind up dating who you work with, and your personal life is part of the QR package.

If you are certain that once in Doha all you are going to do is "play around" then great, you'll have no problems. But God forbid you find yourself in an adult relationship and want to act as adults. Not Allowed. Cabin Crew rules:

- 3:30am Curfew (Anytime in Doha, Off Days inclusive)
- No visitors after 10pm (Days Off, None if on Stdby or min rest)
- Must be in Accommodation 12hrs before pickup or Stdby (Often infringes on Off Days)
- Must Swipe their ID to enter Accommodation (One Entrance with Guard)
- Cameras on their Buildings (Often fired if seen breaking Curfew or Min Rest)
- Must be in the company 3 years in order to be able to "ask Permission" to marry from the Chief!!

I know from an outside point of view this issue will seem like "no big deal" as far as a career move. But join QR, and find yourself getting to bed solo at 4am after dropping off your significant other, only to have your alarm go off a few hours later for a ULR flight a few times, and see how much of a "big deal" it is.

If you are single, EY is BY FAR the better choice as far as quality of life...
:ugh:

Sephore
3rd Oct 2011, 04:01
As you said it's western point of view but to be honest it's your point of view hope you'll find what you are looking for.

jimmyg
3rd Oct 2011, 04:13
Off the subject matter, Was flying into Bahrain last night and approach control asked Qatar to maintain 270kts. for spacing. The response was unable as they must first check with cabin attendants to see if they needed more time. They checked in with approach with total POB of 34. WTF! got to love this 5 star stuff. Any other part of the world the controller would have spun them.

gdukkoq
3rd Oct 2011, 06:13
Guys be honnest, you been turned off by QR and act as if you were working there. You only comment and arrange some stories you heard from some mates working in QR. I got many friends there, I've been in Doha, I heard most of their experiences, but Pros outweights the cons by far for most of the pilots.

R6DXB
3rd Oct 2011, 18:21
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Non Zero
5th Oct 2011, 12:31
... on a long run (10-15 years) QR has a much better plan to achieve and consequently QR represents a better option professionally wise! EK & EY look like the reached their top with no more to offer ... (but both still a valid choice!).
... on a short period (5-6 years) QR is still catching up ... but it looks like Qr is capable of learning from EK & EY mistakes ...

DOH is not really capable of offering what AOH or DXB or even BAH in terms of entertainment ... but lots are successfully commuting ... if it works for them ...:ok:

Black Pudding
3rd Feb 2012, 16:53
Interesting thread

330airbus

You here yet and which fleet did you get ?

beerisgood
4th Feb 2012, 21:13
330airbus,

Have read this thread with interest as I'm in a very similar situation. I hope you enjoy QR. I wonder if you or any one already in QR or EY has any info about getting young kids into school. I've heard the schools are good but all full with year plus waiting lists. All views appreciated.

Cheers,

b.i.g.