PDA

View Full Version : Leahy "extra large version of the A380 by the end of this year."

StoneyBridge Radar
22nd Sep 2011, 10:20
Airbus wil nieuw supervliegtuig bouwen - Reizen en vakanties | U leest er alles over op Reiskrant.nl van De Telegraaf [reiskrant] (http://www.telegraaf.nl/reiskrant/10599141/__Airbus_wil_nieuw_supervliegtuig_bouwen__.html)

Rough translation:

The Airbus is not big enough. The European aircraft A380 is already the largest aircraft in the world, but according to insiders, there are plans to build an even longer version, the so-called Airbus XXL to accommodate 1,000 passengers.

The Airbus A380 is currently the largest passenger plane in the world. However, the European aircraft manufacturer is working on plans for an extra large version of the type.

Initially the company had plans for a super-plane in 2006, which were put on the back burner when there were production problems with the A380.

The projections now are that air traffic over the next twenty years will grow substantially and that worldwide around 28,000 new aircraft will be needed to meet that demand.

According to the manufacturer, not only infrastructure must be built to keep up with demand, but it will also require aircraft with greater capacity.

"I really would not be surprised if the plans for the extra large version of the A380 by the end of this year become a reality," said John Leahy, Airbus commercial director.

BA, CX, EK......?

WillDAQ
22nd Sep 2011, 11:36
Hardly a surprise, the aircraft was built with the capability to be stretched.

Torquelink
23rd Sep 2011, 10:37
Interesting - I'd be suprised if they make a formal launch announcement as early as this year as, depending upon delivery date, launch of a stretch will kill or reduce dramatically sales of the current model for which they are nowhere hear recouping R+D. I suppose they may set out a product plan with a tentative first delivery around 2018 - 2020. Emirates have said they'd replace all their -800s with a stretch which doesn't give much confidence for future used market of existing models!

A-3TWENTY
23rd Sep 2011, 19:04
To me is not a surprise at all !!!

Such a fat and proportionally short aircraft leaves no doubts that structurally is very easy to stretch it and make it at least as long as the A-346.

A3twenty