PDA

View Full Version : MCC or JOC?

Si
4th Nov 2001, 15:55
Hey all,

Just looking for an opinion, which would be better to have when applying to the airlines an MCC or JOC? Whats the price difference as i can't find any on the net? Finally whats the difference between the two anyway??

Cheers

hairy_kiwi
4th Nov 2001, 19:30
What's a JOC? :confused:
Is it a CAA FCL or Flt Ops or JAR OPS requirement? If not then the MCC is more useful, (either that or I'm REALLY out of touch.)

Furthermore, I'd happily recommend the Multiflight MCC - did mine in OCT. :)

h_k

redsnail
4th Nov 2001, 20:42
I think it stands for Jet Orientation Course.
I believe the MCC is a requirement these days. Either you or your employer pays for it.

emu
5th Nov 2001, 00:40
GE Aviation Trainig do a JOC course. Details at gecat.co.uk (http://gecat.co.uk)
All the big schools do MCC courses so these should not be hard to find. The only people I know who do JOC courses are airline cadets going straight onto 757s with 200hrs although I could be wrong :rolleyes:

moggie
5th Nov 2001, 15:16
BAE Jerez also supply JOC training (we do it for BA, Aer Lingus, Airtours, Britannia). The course covers the MCC so gives all your legal requirements, but being longer (typically 30-40hours) there is time to really build on the skills that are required to actually do the job.

The MCC is a VERY quick introduction, leaving no consolidation time, but a JOC (or even MCC + a few hours) can make all the difference. The CAA/JAA don't want ANY hand flying on MCC so a JOC allows time to develop the handling skills for that sim ride on the interview. Most sim checks use 737 - our jet sim comes very close on handling.

It will cost extra - we charge 200 euros per crew per hour for sim AND instructor - so a 4 hour slot is 800 euros (400 for each pilot) so you can work out how much you can spend in advance.

BA reckon JOC saves them 1.4million quid per year because they do less remidial training on type conversions, so it does pay off.