PDA

View Full Version : Best VFM Flying School in USA/UK?

TDTWC
20th Sep 2011, 11:09
Good afternoon everyone,
I am a 41 yr old soon to be ex-RAF rear crew (redundancy) with 20 yrs and 4000+ hours, however no flying experience. I am looking for a career change and thought I'd put my redundancy to good use and embark on as career as a Pilot. My questions to the vast amount of qualified people that I hope will read this thread are these:

Where is the best place to learn to fly. US or UK?
Can you recommend and flying schools I can take a look at?
With zero flying experience, how any hours should I be looking to accumalate before applying to an airline?
Could my RAF experience help me at any schools?
How much and how long, realisitcally will all of this take?

Thanks in advance to all who read and/or contribute to this thread. I will endeavour to respond promptly to any replies; work permitting.

TDTWC

banjodrone
20th Sep 2011, 12:48
Lots of good schools all over the world. Many stand out in the US and Europe. However there are only a handful of US schools doing JAA/EASA training. Forget about FAA-JAA/EASA Conversions it's a dead end now, will cost you too much and will be a paperwork nightmare. At 41, you would need considerable hours before applying to any airline by the time you are done with 200-250 hours. I'm talking in the 2000 plus range at the very least. If you are very lucky, you may be able to land an instructor job or air-taxi charter job. You may even have to work towing gliders without pay, such a position is regarded as gold dust these days.
Find a good club type school, take a trial lesson, if you like it do your Private licence, then build your hours, study for the ATPL theory, etc, etc. This gives you the flexibility to opt out or change schools if it's not working out for you. Your fellow crew up front should be able to guide you to some extent, especially if they do any private flying.

The Old Fat One
21st Sep 2011, 13:13
TDTWC

Given your background there is a good chance we know each other. I was RAF rear crew for 27 years and subsequently I have worked (past tense) in the aviation training industry.

If you PM me I will answer your questions and also give you some addtional info for you to throw into the mix. You'll also be able to check out my credentials and I'll let you know my past involvement (I'm now retired)

TOFO

B2N2
21st Sep 2011, 20:11
Forget about FAA-JAA/EASA Conversions it's a dead end now, will cost you too much and will be a paperwork nightmare

That is not correct an I have an email form the head guru at the CAA to prove it.
Here is an option:
FAA training plus JAA/EASA ATPL exams in the US
Practical conversion in Europe.
PFT (pay for time) in either the US or Asia, that is one of teh reasons why you need to FAA CPL also.
So buy 300-500 hrs of turbo prop time where you fly as an FO, SIC/PIC or if you have the funds a typerating + 300/500 hrs of type, Airbus or 737.
12-14 months before right seat 737, 2 years to a paying job.
I personally know people that have done it that way and one of them is flying for Emirates as we speak.
Expect to spend around 100K Euro though, but it is t quick way and will save you a couple of years of "paying your dues" flying night freight and all sorts of other stuff at ungodly hours.
PM if you want more info.

banjodrone
22nd Sep 2011, 10:54
"That is not correct an I have an email form the head guru at the CAA to prove it"

Maybe so but you're painting a very pretty picture. Not dissing FAA training, I did all mine in California but the fact remains that it's such a major hassle and expense to convert that you don't really end up saving all that much, if anything. Which is how it's supposed to work. Then doing a P2F and job in 2 years.....just because you know some guys who pulled it off doesn't mean it's like that for most people. I'd be over the moon to get a job "paying my dues" flying mail in a Seneca but that is extremely difficult to find even if you have the JAA/EASA licence. As for working overseas, it's far more difficult nowadays to get a start due to immigration issues etc and even then you would need quite a few hours. Lets get a bit of reality going here.

TDTWC
22nd Sep 2011, 12:17
Thanks ever so much for the replies.
I have spoken to s freiend of mine currently flying 777's for Emirates and he's advised me, because of my age, to do something else.

I knew it could be a factor. It may be just too much of a gamble with my redundancy payout to risk.

I still intend to do my PPL in the USA and I'll make a decision based on my ability then as to whether I continue to persue the dream.