PDA

View Full Version : Using JAA PPL(A) in Canada

Uniform267
19th Sep 2011, 15:29
Hi all,

I am moving to British Columbia for 1 year starting in November. Being a relatively new pilot I am obviously extremely keen to put my license to good use - I don't want to leave it on a shelf in the UK for 12 months.

So my question is - what do I need to do to be able to use the JAA License whilst i'm abroad?

Anyone got any first hand experience of flying in Canada, or even better in the Vancouver area? I understand flying abroad on a relatively new license will come with its challenges so any advice anyone can give me on here is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
267:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
19th Sep 2011, 16:38
I don't know the Vancouver area, but this year have flown in Canada on a JAA licence.

You need to arrange to visit a local Transport Canada office, where they'll ask you to fill out a few forms, pay $45, let them photocopy your medical, passport and licence, and magically they issued me with a 1-year licence validation. The process took a little over half an hour.

Flying in Canada is a little different to the UK, but not that much really. Allow for 1-2 hours briefing on local practices, RT and geography, and the usual rental checkout, and you should be fine.

Great scenery, friendly people, and fairly inexpensive flying. You'll have fun.

G

Shunter
19th Sep 2011, 19:45
You want to google FLVC (foreign license verification certificate). It basically gives you all the rights in Canada that your UK license gives you in the UK. According to the guy who did mine in Vancouver that covers all ratings (including the IMC interestingly enough, despite it being a sub-ICAO instrument rating).

Uniform267
20th Sep 2011, 10:19
Thanks for the replies - very useful. Wasn't very sure where to look online. Located a local office in Vancouver so will make sure to pop in and get the FLVC when im there - many thanks!

Whopity
20th Sep 2011, 11:16
(including the IMC interestingly enoughBut, your UK licence doesn't grant the privilege outside the UK -ANO Schedule 7Instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes)
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), within the United Kingdom an instrument meteorological
conditions rating (aeroplanes) rating entitles:

thornm
20th Sep 2011, 11:47
I learned to fly in Manitoba (Brandon Flying Club) in 1972. Back then it was busy, easy & cheap! Sounds like it is easier getting the Canadian Authorities to recognize your JAR PPL than the other way round; I just (finally got my NPPL SLMG in UK, & what a procedure that has been! They don't use QFE & QNH there, & especially in the Prairies the 1/2 mil VFR charts look decidely empty. Enjoy your flying.

'India-Mike
20th Sep 2011, 13:08
Just back from Vancouver area (the Island). I'm jealous of someone going there for a year and getting to fly!

The option I used was a temporary certificate, it might not be of any use to you in your circumstances but it might be worthwhile considering.

I pitched up at the local (Victoria International) Transport Canada office; no appointment necessary. They copied licence and medical and then for $40 issued me with the 3 month certificate. Obviously it's only valid for three months but what wasn't obvious at first is that you can't apply for another one within a year.

Apparently (according to the lady behind the desk) it also allowed me to use my ratings too; I couldn't quite believe that - certainly with respect to my FI(A), but also with regards to my MEP and IR. But that's what I was told anyway.

I was there to do a seaplane rating so did no solo flying other than the 5 splash-and-goes to get it added to my Canadian licence but from what I saw and heard your UK training will more than adequately equip you for Canada, subject to checkout on local procedures, CAS and R/T (it took me a week to figure out what 'on the slide' meant!)

It is stunning stunning stunning - good luck!

Genghis the Engineer
20th Sep 2011, 13:58
But, your UK licence doesn't grant the privilege outside the UK -ANO Schedule 7

I suspect that it has never been in anybody's interest to test this.

Flying a G-reg aircraft outside the UK it's clearcut; the IMC is not valid.

Flying on a licence validation: say a C-reg aircraft within Canada with a TC validation, or an N reg aircraft within the USA with a FAA validation, you can certainly interpret the wording of the validation as permitting the use of your UK IMCR whilst using that validation.

Nobody's ever formally answered the question for good, so far as I know, in either country. The risk of asking it formally, regardless of your viewpoint, is that you might get the wrong answer. It's in everybody's interest to leave this a grey area.

G