PDA

View Full Version : Airline Booking & Admin Fees

djfwells
19th Sep 2011, 13:48
Ryanair seem to get a bad rap when it comes to their policy on credit & debit card charges and although they seem to be the worst culprit, they are far from being the only one !
It seems that having a differen charge structure enables them to keep away from having the 'final price' imposed upon the ticket prices.
Here is the latest fee structure for just a small number of airlnes - Tumbit - Blog Airline Bank and Credit Card Charges (http://tinyurl.com/6gsypsj)

Facelookbovvered
20th Sep 2011, 05:49
FR will try and stay at least one jump ahead of the regulators, they know that card fee's are very much on the radar, hence the move to "admin fee's" other's will follow.

Monarch seems to be out on its own with what appear to be fair and transparent charges, likewise bmibaby with its Flyplus which has no additional credit or debit card fee's, but you pay more unless you want the other items include in it's Flyplus package.

Where will it end, my guess would be a fixed admin fee, per booking, not per person, per sector for debit cards and a % probably around 2.5% for credit cards.

The new FR card is a very interesting development and I'm unsure if you can use it for anything else other than FR flights?, i assume its a card in FR name, rather than FR are getting into the card business proper?

djfwells
20th Sep 2011, 12:47
Apparently you can use the Ryanair Card for booking with other airlines and for other purchases, but any such 'Non-Ryanair' usage carries a 50p charge.

They're not stupid are they ?

davidjohnson6
20th Sep 2011, 15:18
Ryanair just provide the branding on the card - they are not the issuing or payment processing bank

Ernest Lanc's
20th Sep 2011, 16:53
I have used the Ryanair card to book with jet2 - I believe the bank funding the card is Santander..

This is common as the Virgin Card is really the BOA who also back the Amazon card.
Jet2 have different charges for different methods of payment - I think the Electron card has hardly any charges and to pay with PayPal is also cheaper than paying with the same card on it's own.