PDA

View Full Version : Next time you are in Tescos and think you are giving to the Wings Appeal

NutLoose
19th Sep 2011, 11:18
Read this.........

Yesterday, I went to my local Tesco store, where they have a very large Foyer. Inside the Foyer were two friends of mine who I have known for many years, I will call the man "Joe" and his wife "Ann" they were collecting money for the Wings appeal Charity. Joe is 86 yrs of age, Ann is 80. I have known this couple to go out in the streets collecting for this appeal in all weathers, and also in the dark.
Well, I made my donation, and got my sticker, Joe stated to me, that although Tesco let them have a table and two chairs in the foyer, they don't even get a cup of tea from Tesco, Joe told me that they had given up 2 of the 3 days allocated to them by Tesco, as Tesco wanted 50% YES 50% of the Wings appeals takings for the use of the foyer.
I went home and phoned the Editor of the local rag, who was as infuriated as I was, and he sent a reporter, from Spalding 10 miles away to speak to Joe and Ann.
This morning, I phoned the reporter up, and asked if they had done anything regarding the story, she stated that the Charity of the Wings appeal, didn't wish the story to be published, and gave no reason why.
The Editor however is not letting it drop, he agrees with me, we have men and women in the RAF dying at this moment in time so we can live the life we do, and all Tesco is bothered about is a few pounds.
Do members know if this is comon practice in not only Tescos, but other stores etc.and is it common practice?.
I live about a quarter of a mile away from this Tescos, but from now on, come rain or snow, I will be going to Morrisons or Sainsburys 10 miles away.if this story is found to be true, which I have no doubt it will be,
I will keep members posted re whats going on.
It's a stupid question to ask, but what do my fellow members think?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

:mad::mad::mad:

PIG SICK read this........ - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=111929)

Skeleton
19th Sep 2011, 11:46
What a load of bOllax!!

I work for Tesco, no way in a million years would this happen!!

He did not get a cup of tea. And thats Tesco's fault!

Your source in the foyer is wrong - simple.

Jayand
19th Sep 2011, 11:55
Yeah smells wrong to me too, have done loads of charity work in lots of different supermarket chains foyers and have never been asked for a penny.
Despite there age and commitment it is not up to Tesco to provide refreshments although I agree it would have been nice.

cazatou
19th Sep 2011, 12:11
It sounds like an Urban Myth to me - I find it difficult to believe that a nationwide Retail Chain (whose turnover is measured in hundreds of millions of Pounds Sterling) could be so petty.

Wrathmonk
19th Sep 2011, 12:20
Tesco bashing is becoming a more and more popular sport these days. This sounds like one of those other great 'urban myths' involving huge companies/corporations such as Starbucks (http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_starbucks_marines.htm) and McDonalds (http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/30/opinion/topics-of-the-times-the-ira-you-say.html).

charliegolf
19th Sep 2011, 12:22
I've emailed Tesco to ask- if they reply, I'll post.

CG

goudie
19th Sep 2011, 12:34
My Barbershop Chorus have sung carols in our the foyer of our local Tesco's and Sainburys for charity. We were made to feel very welcome with no mention of payment...ever! Who makes up these stories/

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2011, 12:34
I smell a rat. I've shaken tins for ex-service charities outside and inside all the major supermarkets and we've never given or been asked for a cent.

Waitrose gave money to our ATC squadron at Christmas after the bag-pack which raised £2,000 or so.

Roadster280
19th Sep 2011, 12:36
It sounds like an Urban Myth to me - I find it difficult to believe that a nationwide Retail Chain (whose turnover is measured in hundreds of millions of Pounds Sterling) could be so petty.

Mate, I think you must be thinking of the rounding errors in the accounts department with such a small sum. Tesco's revenue is > GBP 60bn. Profit is nearly GBP 4bn.

Briefly looking online, Tesco donates 1.87% of its pretax profits to charities by way of discharging its "social responsibility". That would be about GBP 70 million.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Top Bunk Tester
19th Sep 2011, 12:50
Published on Monday 19 September 2011 12:30

A CHARITY says it is still happy to carry out collections at the Holbeach Tesco store – despite having to hand over half its takings on certain days.

Members of the Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) have been collecting for the Wings Appeal at the Boston Road North supermarket after being granted permission by the retail giant.

The store grants the charity a number of days to collect cash from its shoppers but, under new rules, a decision on any extra days they collect on beyond that is up to the store manager.

The RAFA has been told that they are welcome to come in and collect on extra days – but the money they make on those occasions will be split 50/50 between their cause and Tesco’s chosen charity nationally - the Alzheimer’s Society.

The news came as a shock to elderly collectors Frank and Jean Saunston but their charity says it is happy with the new arrangement because it still gives them the chance to raise a lot of money for the appeal.

The Wings Appeal helps fund the associations’s programme of welfare and care for serving and former members of the RAF and their families.

Nicola Short, communications manager of the Royal Air Forces Association, said: “From our perspective we are grateful to Tesco for allowing us to collect outside their store.

“They have a big footfall and the generosity of the general public is fantastic for us.

“I can understand if Mr and Mrs Saunston appear slightly upset - they are dedicated collectors and have been collecting there for us since the store opened.

“However, in the grand scheme of things if we are granted two days of collecting and then the manager offered us additional days and we had to split it 50/50 then that is still money we wouldn’t be able to get otherwise.

“As long as it is well advertised that the money that people kindly donate is going to be split then I think it’s a great opportunity for us.”

Even though this should prevent the outrage bus from filling up, I'm still somewhat peeved at Tesco's stance on this. :=

LookingNorth
19th Sep 2011, 12:51
Not an urban myth after all..

Charity happy with Tesco money as every little helps - Local - Spalding Guardian (http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/local/charity_happy_with_tesco_money_as_every_little_helps_1_30559 47)

50% of the takings on certain days taken by Tescos... to give to another charity.

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2011, 12:56
I've just wasted ten minutes of my life wading through five pages on the other forum.

The essence is that Tesco grant any charity a day or two a year to collect at a store and keep 100%. If they want additional days, and they are free then Tesco asks that the collection is split with their charity of the year, which is currently the Alzheimer’s Society.

Here is the article from the Carrot Munchers Gazette Spalding Gazette:

Published on Monday 19 September 2011 12:30

A CHARITY says it is still happy to carry out collections at the Holbeach Tesco store – despite having to hand over half its takings on certain days.

Members of the Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) have been collecting for the Wings Appeal at the Boston Road North supermarket after being granted permission by the retail giant.

The store grants the charity a number of days to collect cash from its shoppers but, under new rules, a decision on any extra days they collect on beyond that is up to the store manager.

The RAFA has been told that they are welcome to come in and collect on extra days – but the money they make on those occasions will be split 50/50 between their cause and Tesco’s chosen charity nationally - the Alzheimer’s Society.

The news came as a shock to elderly collectors Frank and Jean Saunston but their charity says it is happy with the new arrangement because it still gives them the chance to raise a lot of money for the appeal.

The Wings Appeal helps fund the associations’s programme of welfare and care for serving and former members of the RAF and their families.

Nicola Short, communications manager of the Royal Air Forces Association, said: “From our perspective we are grateful to Tesco for allowing us to collect outside their store.

“They have a big footfall and the generosity of the general public is fantastic for us.

“I can understand if Mr and Mrs Saunston appear slightly upset - they are dedicated collectors and have been collecting there for us since the store opened.

“However, in the grand scheme of things if we are granted two days of collecting and then the manager offered us additional days and we had to split it 50/50 then that is still money we wouldn’t be able to get otherwise.

“As long as it is well advertised that the money that people kindly donate is going to be split then I think it’s a great opportunity for us.”

Red Line Entry
19th Sep 2011, 13:15
Nutloose,

Is your alter ego Lincoln 7 on the Aviation Forum? If not, then why are you trying to re-launch the pontless debate that has been done to death on that forum (and to which you have given a link)?

No need for other volunteers for conductor on the outrage bus, methinks.

Tankertrashnav
19th Sep 2011, 14:21
As it's a toss-up which of those two charities I'm going to be calling on first I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement ;)

NutLoose
19th Sep 2011, 15:16
Actually no RLE, Jim is a retired Police Traffic Officer.

muppetofthenorth
19th Sep 2011, 15:35
While I can't comment on the 50/50 thing, when doing collecting for Help4Heroes in July Tesco refused us space inside the store, saying he had to set up just outside the door. They would, however, "turn a blind eye" to us if we wished to stand inside with a bucket, but all wristbands/stickers/posters and table had to be set up outside.

And we didn't get a cuppa either, but we weren't expecting to...

Ash679
19th Sep 2011, 17:24
My - admittedly incomplete - understanding is that money collected from public donations for one charity, cannot be given to another, unless there is some form of "joint advertising" ...otherwise people would not know where the money they had donated was going to end up, and may not have given it etc.

I believe there is a legal basis for this in one of the Charities Act(s), and more information could probably be obtained from the Charity Commission.

I know this because I got a finger-wagging from my ATC Wing HQ when we collected for Sqn funds, then made a donation from Sqn funds to the local RBL branch Poppy Appeal collection ...I was told I was very naughty, and not to do it again!! :O

Needs double checking in case of error, but I would suggest that unless there was some form of "joint advertising", or a notice to the effect that the money was to be split 50/50, then both RAFA & Tesco might be on the wrong side of the law... (and RAFA might get their money back :ok:)

Cheers
Ash

jindabyne
19th Sep 2011, 18:45
What a very sad world we --- :uhoh:

Chugalug2
19th Sep 2011, 19:02
What you say makes perfect sense to me, Ash679. It's all very well Tescos and RAFA to agree to jointly collect for the Wings Appeal and for the Alzheimer's Society, but unless that is made perfectly clear at the point of collection and/or by the collectors, then the Alzheimer's Society is getting money from people under false pretences, as they would be under the impression that all that they give is for the Wings Appeal. Supposing Tesco were collecting for Lesbians Against the Bomb, would that go down well for money to be diverted to, away from Service Charities? OK, laying it on with a trowel perhaps, but this is not on I'm afraid. Much as it wasn't on a few years ago when I asked in November why my local Tesco Extra had no poppies for sale at the tills or service counter. "If we allowed the British Legion in, then we have to allow everyone in", I was told. Couldn't see why then, and still can't.

racedo
19th Sep 2011, 19:33
Tesco's are dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

If they refuse charities then the outrage bus is full but if they are selective then outrage bus is still full because every local charity demands its space.

It gets to the stage where people avoid giving to all because they are sick to death of getting the bucket waved at them where ever they go with some town centres almost having a 7 day pattern of collectors.

I donate online and charity gets even more benefit from HMRC and now avoid almost all chuggers.

Appreciate it may be hard for people who give a lot of time and effort in collecting but when you the 4th bucket or tin collecting I have seen today it becomes a no chance.

GalleyTeapot
19th Sep 2011, 20:48
A community charity band I was involved in was given rough treatment by Tesco a couple of years ago despite being invited by Tesco themselves!

Tesco give Band the Christmas cold shoulder - Local - Blackpool Gazette (http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/tesco_give_band_the_christmas_cold_shoulder_1_419571)

Needless to say the local Asda promptly invited the band to play and collect in their store on 2 days before Xmas, was invited back last year and have a standing invitation, mince pies included.

Lima Juliet
19th Sep 2011, 21:22
Luckily, as an officer, I only shop at Waitrose - which is of course "By Royal Appointment"...

advertising note...other supermarket chains are available.

LJ:ok:

BBOWFIGHTER
20th Sep 2011, 11:23
It is worth noting that Tesco's could make donations at any time they wish - not making one iota of difference to their bottom line. £1.7billion a few months ago.

They need to ask themselves a few questions about diplomacy, necessity, need - and management skills. There is a war that is ongoing and extra funds are always required. They should ask H4H. I personally think they are way out of order - WHATEVER THEIR REASON IS.

Dengue_Dude
20th Sep 2011, 12:06
Tesco's are dammed if they do, dammed if they don't

Probably would require a rather large suppository to clear that one . . .

Can't help thinking Tescos are on rather dodgy ground, the freely given charity donations were given to RAFA, NOT the Alzheimer's Society however good that august organisation may be.

I would suspect that this 'freedom' to collect would be delegated to the store manager's discretion. This has sadly had the opposite effect than the one most participants envisaged. There are no winners here, the store, RAFA or AS.

Now that IS sad.

cazatou
20th Sep 2011, 12:31
DD

Richard Todd, a Black Dog and the BBMF Lancaster should suffice - n'est-ce pas?

Dengue_Dude
20th Sep 2011, 17:18
Mais oui mon ami, c'est le chien 'Digger'. A bientôt.

Shame about what's happened here because the incense caused by this doesn't do much good - and frankly, Tesco have 'missed a trick'.

racedo
20th Sep 2011, 20:29
It is worth noting that Tesco's could make donations at any time they wish - not making one iota of difference to their bottom line. £1.7billion a few months ago.

They need to ask themselves a few questions about diplomacy, necessity, need - and management skills. There is a war that is ongoing and extra funds are always required. They should ask H4H. I personally think they are way out of order - WHATEVER THEIR REASON IS.

True but whether the war is ongoing or not has nothing to do with Tesco.

Whether any of us like it or not you will find that there will be a sizeable proportion of Tesco customers and employees who do not agree with the War, half their stores are outside of the UK.

While people may again say so what !! I think anybody who has a pension plan or investments would disagree as Tesco has a sizeable proportion of UK pension fund investment for the future which relies on the success of Tesco worldwide.

As someone has already stated Tesco contributed £70 million directly to charities as well as lots of indirect support.

Its not Tesco's job to give to charities because Govts refuses to provide properly for ex service personnel.

Tankertrashnav
20th Sep 2011, 22:48
Luckily, as an officer, I only shop at Waitrose - which is of course "By Royal Appointment"...

Lucky you're not at Culdrose then, Leon, the nearest branch is at Saltash, around 60 miles away. Waitrose dipped their toe into Cornwall over 10 years ago and they haven't been tempted to venture further in this empoverished county since. Not many in Jockland or Taffland either.

Lidls is well represented here though!

Load Toad
21st Sep 2011, 03:40
Oh look an outrage story on the internets. Yawn.

Tankertrashnav
21st Sep 2011, 08:38
I see the regular chestnut about the RBL being stopped from selling poppies in various area for fear of offending ethnic minorities has surfaced again on F Book. No good presenting the outraged with the facts, their minds are made up :(

Maxibon
21st Sep 2011, 09:27
It's all very well Tescos and RAFA to agree to jointly collect for the Wings Appeal and for the Alzheimer's Society, but unless that is made perfectly clear at the point of collection and/or by the collectors, then the Alzheimer's Society is getting money from people under false pretences, as they would be under the impression that all that they give is for the Wings Appeal.

Perhaps Tesco did make the point about Alzheimers, or maybe someone forgot:E

cazatou
21st Sep 2011, 11:28
Maxibon

I note that you are of an age where the symptoms start to appear in respect of Alzheimers Syndrome.

Dengue_Dude
21st Sep 2011, 11:29
Perhaps Tesco did make the point about Alzheimers, or maybe someone forgothttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Droll, very droll :O

Maxibon
21st Sep 2011, 11:53
Caz, where what starts to what???

Perhaps Tesco did make the point about Alzheimers, or maybe someone forgothttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif......

airpolice
21st Sep 2011, 18:33
Did I already post my AuldTimers Joke?

Maxibon
21st Sep 2011, 19:13
No, but please do