PDA

View Full Version : Tailored RAF shirts for a wedding

CofG
18th Sep 2011, 15:47
Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a nicely tailored RAF blue shirt to wear with No 1 dress instead of the cheap and nasty issued one.

The army seem to go in for this sort of thing while we put up with uniform made by the very cheapest bidder...

Does anyone know a good tailor?

thanks,

C of G

teeteringhead
18th Sep 2011, 15:59
Better (a bit) than issue is/were the Double 2 shirts one used to be able to get from Snaiths at Cranditz - don't know if they still do them, but if so, they sell rom their website too.

Or of course, a number of Jermyn Street emporia would help, in exchange for ready money .....

Whopity
18th Sep 2011, 18:19
In my day Van Heusen were all the rage. I once had a shirt from Geives and the sleeve fell off, I took it back to their Bath shop, expecting them to replace it, but they asked if I could return after lunch. When I returned, the tight bu..ers had had it sewn back on again!

I recall the old Viella aircrew shirts which were so long you could tie the tails together and dispense with shredies. Just the job if its a tails wedding!

MrBernoulli
18th Sep 2011, 18:42
Many years ago I purchased 2 short-sleeve RAF shirts from Toye, Kenning & Spencer. If I recall correctly, they had an ad in the RAF News (this was before the internet .....). The shirts were very much higher quality than the RAF issue - better fit, better fabric, easier to iron, and much more comfortable. The company still seems to exist (see Toye Kenning and Spencer | Masonic Regalia, Rotary, Medals, Uniform, Goldwork (http://www.thetoyeshop.com/)) but I can't see any shirts in their online shop. Maybe try contacting them and asking. Otherwise, as already suggested, contact the tailors/clothing stores at RAFC Cranwell and see if they know a source.

Try an internet search for something like 'RAF long-sleeved shirt, wedgewood blue'.

Edit - her is a link for E.C. Snaith & Son, who have been supplying RAF kit for decades: E.C.Snaith and Son Ltd - RAF Blue Long Sleeved Shirt - Uniforms & Clothing - RAF - Corps / Reg (http://www.ecsnaith.com/corps-regiment/raf/uniforms-clothing/raf-blue-long-sleeved-shirt.html)

GalleyTeapot
18th Sep 2011, 18:48
A storeman told me recently the RAF pay around £3.00 per shirt so its no wonder they are $^!/e !!

NutLoose
18th Sep 2011, 19:25
Dapper Clothing etc... (http://www.arrse.co.uk/officers/14176-dapper-clothing-etc.html)

Jayand
18th Sep 2011, 21:06
Or alternatively you could opt to look smart on the big day and avoid uniform completely!

Airborne Aircrew
18th Sep 2011, 22:02
With the name the OP has one wonders if he needs one taking in or letting out in the the appropriate places... :E

Shack37
18th Sep 2011, 22:29
Should never have ditched the old 3 x shirts, 6 x collars + studs system.

Halton Brat
19th Sep 2011, 10:00
I stll have scars from my collar-studs, 40yrs on!

HB

November4
19th Sep 2011, 13:17
Don't all RAF officers wear Guards uniform at weddings....:E

Pontius Navigator
19th Sep 2011, 14:45
Shack, one of the smart guys on our course, ex-ranker, had PLASTIC collars. They looked the real deal even down to the pattern. The give away was the sheen stayed on whereas it wore off on the starched collars.

Shack37
19th Sep 2011, 15:04
Shack, one of the smart guys on our course, ex-ranker, had PLASTIC collars. They looked the real deal even down to the pattern. The give away was the sheen stayed on whereas it wore off on the starched collars.

Which leads nicely to the BK story of the airman who put a note with his laundry saying "a little less starch on the collars please" His laundry was (allegedly) returned with a note requesting "a little less sh1t on the underpants please"

goudie
19th Sep 2011, 15:19
Should never have ditched the old 3 x shirts, 6 x collars + studs system

And if your Flt Sgt was in a benign (rare) mood you were permitted to dispense with the collar and tie. Made life more comfortable when on the line or in the hangar, crawling in, up and around aircraft.
I managed to get away with a clip on tie for ages.

jindabyne
19th Sep 2011, 19:24
M 'n S worked in '85, and looking today, I reckon it still would ---

Exiled
20th Sep 2011, 16:22
Why not go to Jermyn Street and get a wedgwood blue shirt? You don't need rank slides under your jacket. I got one from Hildtich and Key for my big day and have worn it with No. 1s ever since.

MG
20th Sep 2011, 17:01
I've done that in the past but it would still be useful to be able to get hold of a good quality shirt for normal office use. The Double Two are no better than the £3 stores shirts and I can't find a suitable alternate.

ricardian
20th Sep 2011, 19:49
I wore plastic collars from the time I entered man's service in 1961 until I finally entered civvy street in 1973. I am sure that 99 percent of the chaps that I encountered also wore plastic collars.

jamesdevice
20th Sep 2011, 20:14
you just missed this on Ebay
Vintage RAF Blue St Michael Poplin Shirt & 3 Collars 15 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RAF-Blue-St-Michael-Poplin-Shirt-3-Collars-15-/110736818745)

Whenurhappy
21st Sep 2011, 06:54
I have to admit, publically and for the first time, that I wear plastic collars on my Marcella front Dress shirt with No 5 and No 8s (and wing collar in DJ). Don't crinkle up in the heat, donchaknow?