PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Internet

Dan Winterland
29th May 2001, 02:46
I know this question has been asked before, but some of the answers are a bit out of date. Which ISP is best for round the world connection that isn't AoL?

MightyGem
29th May 2001, 07:05
NTLWorld works for me, and when my daughter's using the 'phone enough, it doesn't cost me a penny.

MightyGem
5th Jun 2001, 06:57
Dan, I hope you managed to cope with all the conflicting advice and information!!

kennedy
5th Jun 2001, 14:50
Try "BTinternet anytime" for £14.99p.c.m. you get connected 24/7 with no call charges (on a BT line)

Good service but gets a bit slow around 17.30 weekdays and sunday evening.

Tinstaafl
5th Jun 2001, 20:51
None of those mentioned are accessible world wide using a local dial-up number - which is what I think DW was trying to ask

IBM used to have a world wide ISP service but I think they sold it to one of the other major players. Possibly Compuserve or one of the multinational telcos

I think AOL may offer a world wide access service.

Hope this helps.

Dan Winterland
5th Jun 2001, 23:16
Many thanks chaps - round the world connectivity was what I was after, just phrased the question poorly. AoL do indeed provide the service, but you have to use their dreadful software which takes over your whole computer, 'dumbing it down' - for Americans presumably.

In my research, I have come across zoo.net who use lots of overseas connections but don't have all the countries I require, pipex dial who use the i-pass service (pricey) and abs2.net which was recommended by a mate, but again is a bit pricey.

2 and 70
6th Jun 2001, 00:38
For the eurpoean trotters amongst us...

http://www.everyday.com - do most countries, although none of the site is in English, so your best schoolboy (or girl) French/German etc. is required.

Once you have a username and password you can use any of the dial up numbers for each country.

HTH

2 and 70

Noddy Staltern
6th Jun 2001, 01:32
Dan,

I think you're being a bit optimistic. When you start your new job the only country you'll need access is the US!

Peter Zee
6th Jun 2001, 01:47
Dan,

I'm no fan of AOL, believe me! But you don't need to use their software beyond their proprietary dial-up software, which at least eases the finding of the nearest dial-up point.

Once online, you can use the browser of your choice. For incoming (pop) mail, the settings on your own mail program (ie Outlook) will work fine. For outgoing mail it's a bit trickier, since you would have to use AOL's SMPT server, which would mean using their (*&%^ software! A workaround is to paste your message into a web-based mailer (like *shudder* Hotmail or a bazillion superior such services).

Just for your info.

Gentleman Aviator
6th Jun 2001, 13:11
PZ is bang on the money. Log on to the hated AOL, then reduce it. Double click on IE5 or Outlook Express & all will look normal again.

As a suggestion, why not post the question on Computer/Internet? The guys & girls there are awesome!

GA :)

MikeSierra
6th Jun 2001, 14:38
IBM were sold to AT&T (me thinks!).
They still operate and are global. It just happens that your ibm.net address changed to attglobal.net.
Don't think you will find a provider that will satisfy ALL your destinations needs but AT&T are quite good! Try www.attglobal.net (http://www.attglobal.net) some more info should be available there!!
Hope this helps!

Tinstaafl
6th Jun 2001, 17:07
That's it!!! AT&T! I KNEW it was one of those but damned if I could think it.

Justin Ilyushin
7th Jun 2001, 17:24
I travel regularly and use Compuserve (AOL in disguise). It works OK, and once dialled up and logged on, you can forget the crappy software that comes with it. There are access codes for most countries which usually work OK. Sometimes I have to dial abroad (e.g. I dial Hong Kong when in mainland China).
The fun is only beginning though, you will need to carry a set of international 'phone adaptors including wire-cutters and insulation tape.

Dan Winterland
7th Jun 2001, 23:31
Many thanks everyone. Point taken NS!

Cornish Jack
8th Jun 2001, 11:50
GA
Dispensing with AOL software sounds like a good idea but, having tred your tip resulted in the MSN setup screen.....(anything MS is a greater horror than AOL :) ) Not desperate, but any suggestions for a work around??

Gentleman Aviator
8th Jun 2001, 22:12
Sure, just minimise the AOL front page once you are logged on.

You are now left with your normal Windows Wallpaper.

Double-Click on the Internet Explorer Icon.

This will load an IE 5 or 5.5 front page. You are now off & running.

I know that it works as I am sending this from a computer using the same process!

Best of luck.

GA :)