PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Upgrade on BA

Ancient Observer
16th Sep 2011, 14:26
First, thanks to the person, (or was it a computer?) that upgraded me and SWMBO. I have no idea why we were upgraded - I'd be interested if anyone knew why. Maybe it was just random luck.
Whilst once upon a time I was a Gold card holder, travelled on BA a lot, and received upgrades every now and then, I now travel much less frequently, I now pay for myself/the family, and have no expectations of an upgrade. As many others, I'm one of the BA Gold card holders that was promised Silver for life, until the BA boss-class decided that Lying /not telling the truth/breaking their word/ telling terminological inexactitudes to get customers was fine.

SWMBO and I went from LHR to JFK in August for a wedding. (Stupid relatives, I know - fancy organising a wedding in Manhattan during August). Cattle class out, and Cattle Class with a bit of space back.

At check in at JFK for the last lhr flight of the evening, ("Sleeper service") SWMBO and I were upgraded from cattle class with space to Club class. As it was a Sleeper service, we were told to go to the Lounge. None of this op-up/no lounge stuff.

I have no idea why, but many thanks to the person/computer that fixed it.

As a footnote, the flight was delayed by weather for about 3 hours. Much nicer sitting in a BA lounge drinking their wine etc than waiting around in our usual spot in cattle class.

Again, thanks to the computer/person that fixed it.

(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17112894)

ross_M
16th Sep 2011, 16:25
Strange indeed are the ways of the upgrade wizards. I remember two memorable upgrades to Business Class I got while still a 24 year old student and with next to zero miles under my belt. No Frequent Flier cards either.

First was on a Delta JFK-FRA-BOM. Probably helped that I'd missed my original JFK connection because of technical delays. Second time was on BA ORD-LHR route and an overbooked Christmas flight.

I still wonder why I got chosen of all the souls they could have upgraded. Should I be thanking the agent or the computers!

Diver_Dave
16th Sep 2011, 16:27
I actually got one for being nice (I think)

Very early for check in for Heathrow - Milan- Malta
with Alitalia due to lousy bus / train times.....

Standing in economy line, only passenger behind an Italian film crew arguing
that 30+ equipment flight cases shouldn't be charged as excess, even though
they hadn't booked them.

After 5 min waved over to to Business check in and upgraded as quote
" You weren't looking annoyed."

Nope... Was enjoying the show.....

Cymmon
17th Sep 2011, 09:27
I got an upgrade Iberia MAD-ACE.

Checked in to be told only 1 seat available, even though we had 2 boarding passes. I presented said 2 passes and the check in man looked a little worried, made a phone call then suddenly said, no problem sir we have 2 seats for you in business, please proceed to the lounge! Me in jeans and T-shirt, just one hand baggage.
Made even better when Rayo Vallecano football team (Now in the Spanish premier league) boarded and all disappeared in their suits to economy.
Even better next day when UD Lanzarote beat them!!!!:D

sitigeltfel
17th Sep 2011, 11:42
no problem sir we have 2 seats for you in business, please proceed to the lounge! Me in jeans and T-shirt, just one hand baggage.

If you were to fly biz or 1st class regularly, you would not be surprised at the standard of dress some pax turn up in. They tend to be "celebs" or pop stars who look like they have just spent the night sleeping in a skip.

ross_M
17th Sep 2011, 12:26
If you were to fly biz or 1st class regularly, you would not be surprised at the standard of dress some pax turn up in.

The rumor was that one had a better upgrade chance if well-dressed. I'm not so sure anymore.

ChicoG
17th Sep 2011, 12:51
If you were to fly biz or 1st class regularly, you would not be surprised at the standard of dress some pax turn up in. They tend to be "celebs" or pop stars who look like they have just spent the night sleeping in a skip.

If they're paying full fare and they don't smell of wee, then I don't see why it would bother you.

Hotel Tango
17th Sep 2011, 12:52
In the good old days when, I used to fly on space-available free or rebate tickets, most airlines had a dress code for such travel. The better attired you were the more likely you would end up in Business, if not in First. Amusingly looking around the Business Class cabin it was often easy to pick out the freebies (in their jackets and ties) from the paying pax (jeans and t-shirts or jogging suits).

ihatechewinggum
17th Sep 2011, 14:21
In 7 consecutive years of gold with BA, I've not yet had a single upgrade...

Last week a friend of mine flew from YVR-LHR on an economy ticket I'd booked on my BA miles. At check-in she was upgraded to WT+, and was then bumped up at the gate to J. Lucky her.

I'll take it that's BA's way of saying thanks for the past 7 years! :rolleyes:

Enji
20th Sep 2011, 10:01
Girlfriend was upgraded on her first ever Emirates flight from BKK to LON, from economy to business.

No miles flown previously. Infact, just signed up to the membership club at the time of booking.

barry lloyd
20th Sep 2011, 10:22
99% of the time it's just a commercial decision, based on the fact that economy is full (probably overbooked!).
If economy is full, most airlines will look at their pax list to see if there's any cardholders who can be upgraded, so clearly they have first choice. If there aren't any, some will wait until Y is full and then bump up the next one to check-in. There is no hard-and-fast rule and the means to an upgrade can follow many paths. Some airlines do it by who has paid the most for their seat, others tell the check-in staff to look out for someone who is SFU (suitable for upgrade). It's a black art, so just enjoy it and don't look too deeply into the reasons for it.

Hotel Tango has it right re the dress code. Some airlines operate a strict dress code which requires staff to dress smartly if they're travelling off-duty (this edict came originally from the western side of the Atlantic, but quickly became the standard over here too). This was interpreted by the media :rolleyes: to apply to all passengers. Whether you're in sweater and jeans or an Armani suit makes no difference to the computer which upgraded you, and this whole issue has been discussed on here many times before. I no longer work for an airline, so I'm not sure what the current rules for staff travel are.

LGWXOPSA
20th Sep 2011, 15:31
Flew with VS last year LHR-NRT-LHR and BA previous year LHR-ATL-LHR both staff travel, rules stated on both that smart trousers and shirt were to be worn. No T-Shirts, trainers etc etc.

Got prem with VS and club with BA, would say appearance makes a difference.

Tim_CPL
21st Sep 2011, 00:53
At the time I was a EXP on AA, which I think is the equivalent of BA gold. On an AA flight from LHR to DFW, a friend on their first flight on AA got an op-up to business, whilst me, on my 6th TATL of the year, was stuck in coach. I'll never understand the logic behind these kinds of decisions, it's as if they don't want to encourage loyalty....

Businesstraveller
21st Sep 2011, 11:33
Flew with a friend last summer from Tashkent to Moscow with Aeroflot in cattle class (and a cheap ticket at that). I'd been warned about the potential for dirorderly boarding so was fortunate that we were about the first on board. Some time after we took our seats a Ruski told us they had a ticket for our seat, to which I smiled and chearily told them so did I. Stewardess got involved, checked all our tickets and then shunted the chap off to another seat. Same thing happened again a few minutes later with a lady with the same result. When the plane finally completed boarding the stewardess came over and asked for our ticket stubbs and went off to the front. Came back a few minutes later with new tickets and said 'sorry for the confusion, the flight is overbooked today - we're moving you to business class'. Slightly suprising considering everyone seemed to have been sorted out, but we didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Not the same at BA Club World, but it was a propoer business class cabin and service none the less.

Mr Mac
21st Sep 2011, 11:48
Have been bumped up twice in in 25yrs of business travel, both when I was in my late 20,s. Once on a flight St Louis - Little Rock (TWA), she liked my accent and manors apparantly. Once Delhi - London (BA) due to Mrs Mac love of cricket I think !. Currently top / middle tier with Lufthansa, Emirates, & SQ and have not seen anything in the way of up grades on the flights I have been on recently. LH mostly in Europe, so no real premier cabin available. Fly Business class EK / SQ most often, but no sign of a move to First for a sector yet.
I have seen people down graded due to full Business class (flew back from Havana with the then BA station chief for Lagos who did not seem that impressed) after being turfed out of Business due to some "spies" (Private detectives being repatriated) who for some reason got Business class seats as a priority. My general rule for cloths for long / short haul would be comfortable / smart casual (we do not have to wear suits in my company). Big rule I have found with who ever you are dealing / flying with is to treat people as you would like to be treated yourself, even when the situation is going south quickly.

GROUNDHOG
21st Sep 2011, 18:12
I love BA, always my favourite airline, can't do any wrong in my eyes, am flying LHR/YVR in two weeks time and back three weeks later, please computer can I have an upgrade, p l e a s e,.... well you never know who's reading this! Mrs Groundhog ( Groundsow as I call her) has never flown first in her life she would love it, I have often but always BA of course...... pretty please!

Chuchinchow
22nd Sep 2011, 01:53
My general rule for cloths for long / short haul would be comfortable / smart casual (we do not have to wear suits in my company).

And how are cloths being worn this year? Off the shoulder, or below the knee?

Mr Mac
22nd Sep 2011, 09:36
Comment on clothes was just a reply to Mr LLoyds comments. However I would make the point that in 3rd world countries (where I end up most of the time for my work), if you look scruffy when you are at check in, and do not have Business class ticket then generaly forget any chance of up grade.:ok: