PDA

View Full Version : PPL (A) FI or NPPL (M) FI?

Tom355uk
16th Sep 2011, 12:58
Hi Everyone,

I need some honest, straightforward advice, and could think of nowhere better to ask :O

I have now, finally, accepted that given my circumstances and family life the almost mythical shiny jet (or even turboprop) job is an unrealistic target. I will never be able to afford the full progression to CPL/IR with MCC and/or JOC, even via a modular route without causing great hardship to my wife and son, something I am not willing to put them through.

However, I have been thinking more and more about becoming an instructor. I always fancied becoming a teacher (except me and university never really got on) and, well what can be better than teaching somebody about something you are passionate about?

So friends, here are my thoughts:

1) I'm not looking to get rich, I just want a (relatively) comfortable living wage, somewhere around 20-25k per annum.

2) I have seen that you can instruct for valuable consideration with a PPL and FI rating as per the new EASA regs. I also see that with a NPPL (M) FI and 100 hours, you can also instruct on microlights for valuable consideration.

3) My question is, which offers the best opportunity for long term stability (:} I know 'job stability' and 'aviation' aren't generally bedfellows, but you know what I mean), while offering a livable wage, out of PPL or Microlight Instructing? I expect to train while in my current job, then slowly phase between the two (both part time) to eventually become a full time instructor over 4-5 years.

I'm half expecting a flood of negativity, but hopefully somebody can offer some advice.

Or am I just being a :mad: hoping for all this?

Genghis the Engineer
16th Sep 2011, 16:43
There's considerable opinion that the valuable consideration for PPL(A)/FI is an abberation which should be buried at midnight in an unmarked grave. So, I'd not rely on that loophole staying open.

However you can put FI(M) on a JAR-PPL(SEP), so my recommendation would be to shoot for JAR-PPL(SEP) if you haven't got it already, then if the loophole looks likely to close shoot for FI(M), if it doesn't seem likely to close, shoot for JAR-FI. You can still teach microlights on JAR-FI so long as you have adequate microlight experience.

Also notice that do to JAR-FI you'll need the CPL writtens, which you won't need for FI(M), so if you hate exams, microlights is the way ahead.

It's also noticeable that it seems far easier for somebody to start their own business in microlight instruction, and that these businesses are often based on farmstrips offering maintenance, hangerage, aircraft sales and so-on. So, I think that tends to level out the workload and raise the income compared to being a standard employed FI.

G

Tom355uk
16th Sep 2011, 21:24
Thanks for the response G, very much appreciated.

I haven't started anything yet, because I didn't want to pour any money into a deceptively shallow pot; it seems the NPPL may be exactly this. So, let me get this straight:

- With the new Part-FCL PPL(A) as it will be, I can take all the CPL theory exams and an FI rating, which then qualifies you as an AFI. Or, you could go straight from a FCL-PPL, add a Microlight rating then complete 100 hrs on type to fulfil the FI Requirements solely for that class?
- I guess that the FCL-PPL opens more doors, but requires a much bigger capital expenditure. And if the ££ situation ever improves, if I had the requisite hours (having taken the CPL exams) I could take the CPL skills test and maybe get another flying job?

It's such a minefield though, I don't have pots of cash so need to make sure I make the best decision. As an aside, would the figures I have mentioned (20-25k) realistic annual pay for any sort of FI, FCL or otherwise?

Thanks again.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Sep 2011, 06:48
More or less, but with a few caveats.

The first and biggest caveat is that either you are "passionate about" flying, or you "haven't started yet". If you've not done at least, say, 10 hrs flying then at best you really haven't a clue about whether you, and flying, are suited to each other or not and just like the idea.

The next caveat is please don't delude yourself that an instructor with minimum hours has much to offer. In the microlight world most instructors have been recreational pilots for some years before making a career change, whilst in the light aeroplane world they usually have a CPL with ATPL exams and an instrument qualification.

On a few smaller points,from the JAR licence it's not a "microlight qualification" it's actually "microlight differences training", and there's a 3 year shelf-life on the CPL written exams for taking the CPL flying course: so you need to have completed the CPL flying course and passed the CPL skill test within 3 years of the last exam passto get a CPL; it makes no difference with regard to using those exams to allow you to be an FI.

Personally I think at the moment you want to do a JAR PPL(SEP), then microlight differences training. At the end of that you have a good idea of which you most enjoy flying, how well you cope with JAR exams (the CPL exams and skill test are just nastier versions of the PPL ones), and can make your mind up from a position of far greater personal knowledge than you have right now, and you'll have lost little en-route.

G

Whopity
17th Sep 2011, 07:09
Instruction on microlights has always been more lucrative than instruction on SEP aircraft, and at a fraction of the outlay. Look at the number of people who migrate from Microlight to SEP instruction, off hand I can't think of any! You may have to invest money in setting up a business, as its not likely to be that lucrative if you work as an instructor for someone else.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Sep 2011, 07:16
Agreeing with Whopity, I think that there are two reasons for this. One is that a microlight instructor usually also does maintenance, provides hangarage, may well be managing his airstrip- so there are more revenue streams. The other is that because you can't hourbuild on a microlight towards an ATPL, the wages are not being depreciated by lots of young instructors whose main objective is lots of hours so they can get an airline job, rather than a decent income and passion for flying.

G

xrayalpha
17th Sep 2011, 07:33
Tom.

If you want to be an employee - albeit under some "self-employed contractor" basis - then go along either route.

If you want to be self-employed, then the microlight route might appeal.

So there is a lifestyle choice here as well.

As an "employee", think about how many hours you can actually fly - rather than be "available to fly". Many adverts for driving schools look at the later figure and project massive incomes (so you sign up with them for training!)

Then think what the hourly rate will be. And the few expenses you might have: revalidations, teaching aids that you like to use, extra minutes on your phone contract, etc. It all adds up.

If you do 500 hrs in a year at £20 a flying hour, you have got 10k! I know of GA and microlight schools that pay less than this. (as it happens, we pay £45 an hour in our school aircraft and £85 in your own, but I think we are the highest paying microlight school in the country. And we aim for about 400-500 hours a year per instructor.)

Now if you are running your own microlight school, you will have premises costs - you will need somewhere with planning permission, rather than a field, because once you start doing circuits the neighbours will complain to the council.

You may be able to buy a Portakabin or a caravan as an office and you'll need a hangar (OK, you can park outside, but you want to do your maintenance on a wet and windy day and then is much nicer to be inside for! And you can use it as a training exercise for the students! More income!)

Then there is insurance, advertising and marketing. But there are un-redeemed Xmas and birthday gift vouchers!

And you may need someone to help answer the telephone so you can fly but not miss that customer - if your wife can't help, then that's another cost. A commercial firm I had an email from wanted £1.36 per call answered (gives an idea of one's wife's worth!)

To be frank, if I have bored you with this so far - DON'T GO DOWN THIS ROUTE!

That was only the start. If you do want to go down this route, once you are on your microlight AFI course (you'll then have to work for a microlight FI for at least 100 hours afterwards - and I know of one who wants you to pay HIM for his supervision!!!!!!), get in touch and I will give you all the help I can.

It is a hard job making a living as an instructor. You might be better training as a nurse and working three 12 hour days at 25 - 35k and then doing some instruction on your days off, or even better become a train driver!

Unfortunately, many flying schools rely on people waiting for that airline job, or retired from other jobs and happy to earn pin money. It skews the market.

ps. End up running a school and you end up doing less flying - but then flying was why you set up a school!!

Tom355uk
19th Sep 2011, 09:57
Thanks for all the responses guys,

From what I can see, maybe a FCL-PPL is the best starting point. Then it is probably easier to 'step down' (if you will forgive the term) to Microlights rather than try to step upwards with a load of hours that I can't count towards the JAR-FCL. I have to admit, xrayalpha makes some very valid observations; most of which I had already considered but to hear from the horses mouth reinforces it. And the thought of working for myself is very appealing (in some ways, not so much in others!). Also, I was not under the illusion that an instructor with minimum hours is worth much at all; and that to get the 100hrs PIC required for a PPL(A) instructor rating makes it almost as expensive as a CPL to gain in the long term. So, for now I will make the licence my first priority, then take it from there. But the thought of being an instructor still really appeals, hopefully one day I can get there!

Cheers Again,

Tom.

Mickey Kaye
19th Sep 2011, 19:19
Do the requirements for a AFI (microlight course) allow you to compete it on a PPL(A) (if you meet the 60PIC on microlight and 100 TT PIC) or do you have to have a NPPL(M) issued?

xrayalpha
19th Sep 2011, 20:41
Hi,

You can put an AFI micro (and even FI) on a JAR SEP - one of our instructors has just that.

It took a bit of hassle, 'cos some of the authorities said no, but pprune came to the rescue if you look through some of my old posts from about five years ago!

I enjoy telling trial lessoners that Glenn doesn't have a microlight licence!