PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in the states on a JAA PPL

FLYINGIRISH IN OZ
16th Sep 2011, 07:19
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions regarding hour building In the states. I currently hold JAR PPL with a total of 56 hours which I acquired in Ireland before I left in 2008. I've spent the last 3 years travelling the world and in my travels I found a school in Western Australia that do JAR modular and integrated courses.

I decided to do my ATPL theory exams last year through the modular course and completed all 14 exams. So as it stands in have my PPL and frozen ATPL (theory).

I wanted to do my flying here in Perth too but in the last 2 years the prices have gone up dramatically in the sense that the Euro is not worth must more than the AUS dollar any more.

Ok so because i have now only 3 years from the time i passed my last ATPL exam to complete my training i looked up the USA. I see that there are a few schools on the east and west coast`s. Firstly can anyone recommend any of the JAA approved schools be it in Florida where there seems to be the most and also the couple in LA?

As i said before i have a JAR PPL so do i need to apply for what the Australians call a "special license" which entitles you to hour build in Australia i think for up to 90 days if i remember correctly on my JAR PPL or do i need to apply for an FAA SPL and would that just be a lot of messing around? I think as i hold a JAA PPL that i don't need to apply for a visa..???? is that right?

Ok so im just rambling on, the point im trying to make and find out about is hour building, i see for a block of 100 hours in a 172 is about the $9,500 mark. which is really good value i reckon.. but is there any catches with converting as the time would be done in the states and not europe etc.. also as i dont have a current license, i need to renew my class 1 and do a proficenty check and about 5 or 6 hours with a JAA approved instructor can this be done in the states in any of the schools there.

I have so many more questions to throw out there but if i could get help with anyone of these i have just asked it would be a great help.

Look forward to hearing from you guys/girls :O :ok:

B2N2
18th Sep 2011, 13:07
The answers to all of your questions are already on the board but let's give it a go:
You DO NOT need a visa for time building unless:

A previous visa application has been denied
You have a felony conviction, includes drunk driving
You are a citizen of a country that does not fall under the visa waiver program (google it if you need to)

Under ICAO agreements member states will recognize/validate each others certificates/licenses.
The FAA process is free of charge.....:ok:
Read all about it on the FAA website:
Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

This process can take up to 60 days so don't schedule too tight.
Some more unsolicited advise, DO NOT pay in advance for a large chunk of time building without having seen the airplanes in question.
You are NOT limited to JAA certified schools in teh USA, it's a complete myth that you need to build "JAA hrs".
You are free to go to any school that bothers to answer your emails and that has safe aircraft.