PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Polish

ryanboxer
16th Sep 2011, 06:45
Anyone know a good aircraft polish you can get in Aus?

CirrusSR22T
16th Sep 2011, 07:32
Contact Jeff Cox from "Manta" aircraft detailing... I'm pretty sure he sells the polish he uses to detail Aircraft. really great product.. we had the Manta finish done on nearly every new Cirrus SR Aircraft delivered... works on metal planes aswell.

Dora-9
16th Sep 2011, 22:43
On both cost and effectiveness grounds, I wouldn't bother with an aviation-specific polish! Having had these recommended by an aircraft re-painters, I've become a great fan of Meguiar's polishes (an automotive product).

Because my aircraft's paintwork is in good condition, I use "WET LOOK" - it's more of a wax than a polish, as it has very little cutting action. It's easy to apply but even simpler to remove the excess (it almost blows off). Because of the ease of removal (no heavy rubbing action needed), it's also suitable for fabric.

If your paintwork is deteriorated, then there are heavier cutting polishes in the range.

Here's an example:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/Dep.jpg

RENURPP
16th Sep 2011, 23:00
Different paint = different polish. Speak to the paint manufacturer or engineer to find out what's been used.

T28D
17th Sep 2011, 00:29
Very pretty Chipmunk, any good quality carnuba wax based polish will work on gloss paint in good condition.

Horatio Leafblower
17th Sep 2011, 02:00
...if you have a fibreglass aeroplane it's pretty important you don't use a polish containing silicone - many cheaper auto polishes do.

AutoGlym is one that doesn't contain silicone and is recommended for fibreglass by my friendly local aircraft painter :ok:

witwiw
17th Sep 2011, 03:01
Somewhere in an old issue of the "crash comic" is an article where an aircraft owner used a silicone based polish and had no end of (expensive) trouble with his ADF. Might be worth digging that article out .............

hurlingham
17th Sep 2011, 03:04
I have used NuFinish for many years - fantastic & can be applied in the sun.
Will remove exhaust stain.

rocket66
17th Sep 2011, 07:46
Another handy little trick I use is when washing, add a cap full (car wash cap full) of Mr Sheen. Learnt that one from a hot rod enthusiust. Works a treat in keeping that showroom shine.

Rocket