PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Takes on iPad

nomorecatering
16th Sep 2011, 03:46
God, now I'm more confused than ever.

Decided to buy an iPad2 and load it with Ozrunways software.

Now I've just seen Garmins new 796 that just being launched. Does everything that the iPad2 does. But is over $2000.

Dang, I might just get both.

seems Garmin has Apple in its sights. Who would av thunk it.

SpyderPig
16th Sep 2011, 03:52
Well 2k is well out of my budget lol.
Im at a similar cross road, iPad2+ozrunways or Garmin Area 500.

Good to see the big guys taking notice that this aussie program is the real deal!:D

VH-XXX
16th Sep 2011, 04:51
Apple has an advantage for sure - it's a circa $700 universal platform with a wealth of other applications and accessories to go with it.

The Garmin 796 is $2,500 and essentially both products are *capable* of the same functions - only limited by the imagination of the programmers such as the OZRunways guys.

Both are non-TSO'ed and are likely to never be, so there's no point factoring that into the equation

There is a massive market for the iPad that is almost untapped except for some foreign companies for Analogue to Digital converters so that the iPad can become an MFD like the Avidyne and Garmin 1000's. The potential is only limited by the imagination of the programmer and the processing power of the iPad.

das Uber Soldat
16th Sep 2011, 05:17
At the very least it appears to fit the format of the jepp charts.

It drives me f***ing nuts having the jepps misformatted for the iPad screen.

baswell
18th Sep 2011, 04:21
They show US sectionals, any word on Australian maps on it?

XM weather and notams won't work here, and without 3G on the garmin, you won't get them on that device at all.

3 inches smaller, probably no Aussie maps, no weather and notams and 4-5 times the price. That's the kind of competition we like to see! :ok:

LeadSled
18th Sep 2011, 04:40
Folks,
Check the approvals FAA have already given the IPad, it is already in limited use as an EFB.
CASA is following, hopefully not years behind.
Tootle pip!!

Adsie
18th Sep 2011, 08:39
I would go with Ipad, Garmin are far too expensive for any update